Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
Canada 45 27.95%
United Kingdom 36 22.36%
Australia 52 32.30%
New Zealand 28 17.39%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 09:47 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
The Anglo-Canadian provinces that border US states I think are largely a continuation of the USA culturally. Those provinces share more culturally with those US/Canada border states than those states share with states in the deep south. The US and Canada could be one country if the south wasn't part of the Union.
There are some differences that are apparent as soon as you cross the border, but I do get your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 09:56 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,894,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are some differences that are apparent as soon as you cross the border, but I do get your point.
There are more differences between California and Alabama, Texas and New York than Washington state and B.C. or some of the prairie provinces and Montana or North Dakota.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:24 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Have to laugh at all the "bad teeth" comments from fellow Americans. Are you kidding? You think Americans, who can barely afford decent health care, have enough money to pay for expensive teeth?

I've seen plenty of bad teeth on Americans.

I would choose UK or Australia.

Canada too cold and no real decent beaches or warm water and I don't find Canadians very friendly toward Americans when you are up there. When you run into them here they act different.

UK prob my fav as I feel more kinship with British folk and love their culture.

Australia for beaches and warm weather.

You know, my experience has been completely different more than a dozen visits to different parts of Canada. Oh, sure, there is the occasional jerk with a chip on his or her shoulder, but that could be anywhere. I've found Canadians to be downright welcoming. Sometimes even effusive.

My only problem with Canada is the winters that last 11.5 months, followed by two weeks of bad skiing.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:40 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,298 times
Any of the three would be better.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:05 PM

119 posts, read 139,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOHRC87 View Post
Which of the above countries would you most like to live in?

Which is the best for:
-Culture
-City life
-Naure/outdoors
-Character/friendliness of the people
-Cost of living
-Employment opportunities
-Proximity/access to other places you would like to visit
-Which is most like the US? (Whether or not that’s a positive is a matter of opinion).
-Overall favorite

Edit: I apologize for the mistake in the thread title. It should be “which would you choose?”
I've been to all except the UK.

- Culture: New Zealand, followed closely by Canada
- City life: UK, if I had to guess, though Australia and Canada are no slouches, IMO. I love New Zealand cities, but they just aren't as vibrant and robust as even Brisbane and Gold Coast "across the ditch," let alone Sydney and Melbourne.
- Nature/outdoors: New Zealand
- Character/friendliness of the people: New Zealand
- Cost of living: Canada (sans Toronto and Vancouver/Victoria), followed by New Zealand (rural areas)
- Employment opportunities: This is a tough one, but the slight edge goes to Australia just for their high pay scale and relatively decent upward mobility still afforded in major cities
- Proximity/access to other places you would like to visit: UK
- Which is most like the US? Canada
- Overall favorite: New Zealand. While I also like Australia and Canada and think they're fine countries, the people and majestic scenery of New Zealand make it really special.

Old 02-25-2019, 12:09 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Uk

Old 03-03-2019, 04:55 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,442,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Id love to live in Australia; my wife and I are considering it. She's Chinese so it'd be a third country for us. I have been to England and loved it. Either would be a potentially great place for us to open up a restaurant so we could do well... Visas would be a bit of an issue but we have enough cash reserves that we could probably meet investment criteria pretty easily.

I like Canada but it's too cold overall for me. England is fairly cold of course too, but I love it there so could deal with it.
England is kinda rubbish tbh ... especially when you compare it to Australia.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:52 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 14 hours ago)

27,162 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Firstly the island is Great Britain, secondly you are by all accounts an American who moved to London and is hardly an expert on the entire country and finally in terms of geography and travel you can easily travel across Europe from the UK, indeed you can catch a train in the morning and be in the South of France by Lunch time.

Britain is not a bad place to live, indeed lots pof Australia is outback and fairly desolate, the Australian coast and certain populated areas constitute most of the areas where people choose to live. Whilst the recent Australian heatwave was actually frightening in terms of it's intensity, with lots of animals killed and indeed people. Personally I enjoy mild winters and cool summers rather than sweltering in very hot tempretures of 50C (120F).

Bats dying 'on biblical scale' due to record-breaking Australia heatwave - The Independent

Adelaide breaks its all-time heat record, hitting 46.6C, in extreme Australia heatwave - The Guardian

Roads melt and animals drop dead amid 120F Australian heatwave - Daily Mail

Australian heatwave smashes record, 50C forecast - RTE

Australia's historic heatwave continues as temperatures stay above 40c - Evening Standard (London)

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-03-2019 at 06:11 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 06:05 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Very informative.................thanks!

Old 03-03-2019, 12:38 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,344,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Firstly the island is Great Britain, secondly you are by all accounts an American who moved to London and is hardly an expert on the entire country and finally in terms of geography and travel you can easily travel across Europe from the UK, indeed you can catch a train in the morning and be in the South of France by Lunch time.

Britain is not a bad place to live, indeed lots pof Australia is outback and fairly desolate, the Australian coast and certain populated areas constitute most of the areas where people choose to live. Whilst the recent Australian heatwave was actually frightening in terms of it's intensity, with lots of animals killed and indeed people. Personally I enjoy mild winters and cool summers rather than sweltering in very hot tempretures of 50C (120F).

Bats dying 'on biblical scale' due to record-breaking Australia heatwave - The Independent

Adelaide breaks its all-time heat record, hitting 46.6C, in extreme Australia heatwave - The Guardian

Roads melt and animals drop dead amid 120F Australian heatwave - Daily Mail

Australian heatwave smashes record, 50C forecast - RTE

Australia's historic heatwave continues as temperatures stay above 40c - Evening Standard (London)

You need to remember that Australia is a big place, with a lot of climate diversity. There will be a number of weather events somewhere in the country at any one time, while most locations just get their normal temperatures and rain. In northern Qld the issue has been flooding.

Didn't the UK experience heatwaves in 2018? It seems that London reached 21C in winter.

Last edited by Bakery Hill; 03-03-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World