Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you choose to live?
Canada 45 27.95%
United Kingdom 36 22.36%
Australia 52 32.30%
New Zealand 28 17.39%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 01:24 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,902,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Have to laugh at all the "bad teeth" comments from fellow Americans. Are you kidding? You think Americans, who can barely afford decent health care, have enough money to pay for expensive teeth?

I've seen plenty of bad teeth on Americans.

I would choose UK or Australia.

Canada too cold and no real decent beaches or warm water and I don't find Canadians very friendly toward Americans when you are up there. When you run into them here they act different.

UK prob my fav as I feel more kinship with British folk and love their culture.

Australia for beaches and warm weather.
I have found this to be true it seems Canadians spend a lot of time thinking about the USA but Americans spend little time thinking about Canada. A lot of gripes come up when they know you're from the USA I have no interest in talking about the USA when I'm in Canada I'm there to either to visit family or relaxation. The only time I hear Canada come up in conversations is from people on the right who are looking insisting that the health care system in Canada is worse than what you find in the USA other than that it doesn't come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 02:16 PM

230 posts, read 343,579 times
Canada

Plot twist! I'd live in Quebec

Old 02-24-2019, 02:24 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice Malone View Post
Canada

Plot twist! I'd live in Quebec
Bienvenue!

Old 02-24-2019, 04:18 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,959,037 times
Overall favourite (if not most practical) London.

I don't think any do cost of living, particularly well, but outside favourite from within the Anglo world, would be Montreal. (love the French vibe and language on the North American continent)

Old 02-24-2019, 09:10 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,868,976 times
Id love to live in Australia; my wife and I are considering it. She's Chinese so it'd be a third country for us. I have been to England and loved it. Either would be a potentially great place for us to open up a restaurant so we could do well... Visas would be a bit of an issue but we have enough cash reserves that we could probably meet investment criteria pretty easily.

I like Canada but it's too cold overall for me. England is fairly cold of course too, but I love it there so could deal with it.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:17 AM

3,625 posts, read 3,413,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I have found this to be true it seems Canadians spend a lot of time thinking about the USA....
We actually don't spend a lot of time thinking about the USA or Americans. Most of our time is spent thinking about the winner of this hockey game, or that baseball game, or that football game. Very little time is spent thinking about, "Now, how would my views go over in the USA?" We do spend a lot of time thinking about affordable childcare, paying the bills this month, hockey standings, and how yet again, we have to brush snow off the car. But I don't think that we consume every day with thinking about the USA. Our own lives consume enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I like Canada but it's too cold overall for me. England is fairly cold of course too, but I love it there so could deal with it.
Please tell me that you believe that the mostly-inhabited parts of Canada have very nice springs, summers, and falls; and that you know for a fact that polar bears do not walk the streets of Toronto.

I have heard plenty here about how "Canada is too cold." It's not cold enough for 35 million Canadians to say, "the heck with this, let's just close down and move somewhere south." They stay. Yet the myths continue:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/33905459-post10.html

And that's just silly. Yes, it is true that from where I sit, it is currently -33C. But I an in my sturdy little house, by the fire, with a glass of whisky and my pipe. My car's block heater is plugged in, so it will start easily tomorrow. My cats are happily napping by the fire. And this weather will be over soon enough.

To AFP: We don't spend a lot of time on Americans, thinking about Americans, wondering about Americans. We wonder why Americans spend a lot of time on thinking about us.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:44 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post

To AFP: We don't spend a lot of time on Americans, thinking about Americans, wondering about Americans. We wonder why Americans spend a lot of time on thinking about us.
Do you really believe Americans think more about Canadians and Canada than vice-versa? Seriously?

I'd say that Canadians may not spend a lot of time thinking of Americans *as Americans* but they spend a heck of a lot of time thinking about American stuff. But it's as if it was domestic, almost as if Americans were compatriots (aka part of the same country).

All of the coverage this morning in Canada about the Oscars for example isn't generally thought of as Canadians thinking of Americans *as Americans*, but it's still Canadians thinking a whole lot about American stuff.

As I already stated, a whole bunch of American stuff from popular culture to news to sports to business, is treated by Canadians as if it's (quasi-)domestic.

Last edited by Acajack; 02-25-2019 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-25-2019, 08:02 AM
AFP

@ChevySpoons The typical American can't cite a single fact about Canada it isn't even on their radar and doesn't come up in conversation. Whereas the typical Canadian I've come across can carry on a conversation about California the state I live in.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:22 AM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
I would choose Melbourne, Australia as I have spent 6 months there a while back and more recently visited for a few weeks and still liked the city and Australian life.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:42 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do you really believe Americans think more about Canadians and Canada than vice-versa? Seriously?

I'd say that Canadians may not spend a lot of time thinking of Americans *as Americans* but they spend a heck of a lot of time thinking about American stuff. But it's as if it was domestic, almost as if Americans were compatriots (aka part of the same country).

All of the coverage this morning in Canada about the Oscars for example isn't generally thought of as Canadians thinking of Americans *as Americans*, but it's still Canadians thinking a whole lot about American stuff.

As I already stated, a whole bunch of American stuff from popular culture to news to sports to business, is treated by Canadians as if it's (quasi-)domestic.
The Anglo-Canadian provinces that border US states I think are largely a continuation of the USA culturally. Those provinces share more culturally with those US/Canada border states than those states share with states in the deep south. The US and Canada could be one country if the south wasn't part of the Union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World