Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 07:10 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times

Advertisements

Rich of course. Location doesn't matter, you can always use the money to help others and the environment or buy yourself time to achieve more. This is for the time being when money is very important. Everyone who prefers not to be rich in those days and age has the mentality of an irish sheep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2021, 08:48 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
I'll rather be middle class in a developed country with a stable and well-functioning democracy.

If you're really rich in a third world country, let's say 10 million USD net worth, you can easily immigrate to Europe/Canada/New Zealand, then keep the rest of the money and have the best of both worlds.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
Rich of course. Location doesn't matter, you can always use the money to help others and the environment or buy yourself time to achieve more. This is for the time being when money is very important. Everyone who prefers not to be rich in those days and age has the mentality of an irish sheep.

Actually, some developing countries are not that bad in if you're affluent enough to not need social safety net.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:00 AM

2,375 posts, read 1,859,016 times
would you rather be rich or not rich

hmm

Old 08-04-2021, 09:01 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
^ I mean...it depends. Ronaldo for example who is the first footballer billionaire spent some of his richest years playing in Real Madrid. How many rich people move to Madrid, Spain? This is simply to highlight my point that money doesn't make you immortal nor it gives you the chance to live cherever you want. Another example: Pablo Escobar lol.

edit: answering to GoodHombre.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
^ I mean...it depends. Ronaldo for example who is the first footballer billionaire spent some of his richest years playing in Real Madrid. How many rich people move to Madrid, Spain? This is simply to highlight my point that money doesn't make you immortal nor it gives you the chance to live cherever you want. Another example: Pablo Escobar lol.

edit: answering to GoodHombre.
Yes you are right.

If we take this question seriously, we have to discuss many scenarios.

For footballers, Europe is where the money is. Playing in an European soccer club isn't a personal preference but a must.

Some billionaires have to spend most of their in their home country because that's where the money is.

Theoretically, if a billionaire is willing to give up his business/career and move to a place he wants, he can do that. But in reality it doesn't happen often, because being rich is so good that bad location is tolerable.

Russian and Chinese billionaires are more interested in foreign passports for themselves or at least their families because their home countries are politically unstable, they are at the mercy of Putin/Xi. Being rich isn't safe.

The circumstances for Mexican cartels are definitely different...

It really depends, but I believe most third world ultra rich people don't want to trade their place for a physician in Los Angeles. They don't want to downgrade to a middle class person in a developed country.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:36 AM

417 posts, read 445,568 times
There are lots of great points made on this thread. As someone who has traveled in developing countries, and is solidly "working class" in a developed country, I would choose to be rich if I had the option.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:18 AM

103 posts, read 92,470 times
@Everyone
I think this is a tricky question. I think I could have specify better. What I meant is assuming you make the same income/fixed income say (5K)(this is only a speculative value for the sake of the example you can replace if which whichever amount you want) a month and that makes you "rich" or uppermiddleclass in a developing country while if you lived in a developed country you would be "middle class" which one would you choose? Assuming that if you move from your developing country you will automatically be back in "middle class" NOT rich in the developed country.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:22 AM

103 posts, read 92,470 times
@Everyone

Life in developed country: Middle class, apartment living, high quality public education, public transpiration, high taxes, safe, lots of entertainment, more culture and education.

Life in developing country: Upper-middle class, big house, private education, cars with possible chauffeur, low taxes, unsafe, a bit more isolated, cheap to have servants to do things for you.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:42 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,924,923 times
There is sufficient variation from absolutely any rule. Life isn't about any delusional stereotypes. People create their own limitless boundaries. Yes, there are still elite people I know in much poorer countries that ended up going further than the average middle class in a wealthier country. That happens. Enough representative units statistics proving exceptionally well above the average. Always fun to find peoples in society going against a rigid situation. Celebrate widely expanding deep down natural diversity. That is simultaneously outside of race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World