Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 03:28 PM

164 posts, read 81,243 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Eastern Europe, several parts of south America, not sure where Bigcitydreamer thinks toilets, internet, washer and driers are luxuries.

Even working class people in places like Brazil, Russia, Mexico, have plumbing, internet (sometimes even faster than internet in the US), washers, driers, fancy cars.

What a bunch of cliches
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 05:11 PM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
^^ Maybe in Afghanistan. I remember when the USA invaded that country and they showed videos taken from the fighter jets flying over the Afghan fighters or maybe it was the Afghan military. I remember very well seeing the people with machetes or swords on one hand and holding onto the horse they were riding with the other hand.

I'm not an expert on military fighting and paraphernalia, but upon seeing that I already knew that Afghanistan was no match for the USA. I can only imagine the US Air Force guys as they were flying those fighting jets and saw the enemy charging on horses with swords. That's being backwards on steroids. lol

Old 08-07-2021, 11:34 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karl77 View Post
I have lived in Eastern Europe, several parts of south America, not sure where Bigcitydreamer thinks toilets, internet, washer and driers are luxuries.

Even working class people in places like Brazil, Russia, Mexico, have plumbing, internet (sometimes even faster than internet in the US), washers, driers, fancy cars.

What a bunch of cliches
So, you’re saying that the migrants who come from Central America and cross the border into the United States had personal washers, dryers in their homes and fancy cars?

I find that hard to believe and would have to see for myself.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:27 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
These are not considered luxuries from China to Malaysia to Argentina.
Not even in the faraway rural areas of those countries? Not even among the house servant class?

Well, that is impressive. Maybe the standard of living improved pretty quickly.

Old 08-09-2021, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, you’re saying that the migrants who come from Central America and cross the border into the United States had personal washers, dryers in their homes and fancy cars?

It's somewhat of an old info (2015), but anyone can have an idea where it must stand today.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...latin-america/

Old 08-10-2021, 01:43 AM

164 posts, read 81,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

A washing machine is not a luxury anywhere! Especially the countries you're citing (Argentina, Mexico, Malaysia) -- Those countries are hardly poor. They are unequal, with many people very poor and many people extraordinarily rich.

A migrant to the US likely is poor enough he will risk his life to go there (think of a really poor American moving to elsewhere to look for a job), but a migrant is ONE person within a group of millions of people living different realities, like a poor American would be ONE within millions of Americans with other economic realities.

On the 21st century a cell phone, internet connection, a washing machine, are hardly rare anywhere especially in places like Argentina, Vietnam etc.

You're describing not developing countries, but very poor countries (Haiti, Afghanistan, Niger)

Mexico, Malaysia, Argentina, Thailand, Costa rica are hardly that poor.

Last edited by karl77; 08-10-2021 at 01:58 AM..

Old 08-10-2021, 11:25 AM

676 posts, read 649,217 times
I'd definitely rather rent a condo downtown and work 9-5 five days a week in the US, Canada or Western Europe than be some sort of wealthy land baron in an extremely poor country like Haiti or Somalia or Niger or Myanmar. Have to watch your back all the time, probably little international privilege and travel rights and lots of safety issues domestically. Your best luxury is probably servants and call girls and possibly the 3* hotel in the capital city.

But a place like Buenos Aires, or Kuala Lumpur, or Monterrey... those are fine cities, maybe just a couple of notches below a Boston or Toronto. I'd rather be exceptionally wealthy there than middling and treading water in a heartbeat.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:43 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,814 times
I think being rich is not that good at all if the person has not the wisdom to manage all that wealthiness. It doesn't depend on whether the country is a MDC or not.

The family of my wife is quite rich. But all that distrust, rancor and unpleasantness within the family because of disputes of inheritances and estate wipes out every gain which the money could bring.

Money is good only while it allows us to have welfare and save us from debts, but placing the wealth in the centre of our life at the expense of human relations and peace of mind will only bring us sorrow and grief.

Old 08-10-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
But a place like Buenos Aires, or Kuala Lumpur, or Monterrey... those are fine cities, maybe just a couple of notches below a Boston or Toronto. I'd rather be exceptionally wealthy there than middling and treading water in a heartbeat.
According to GaWC 2020, Kuala Lumpur and Buenos Aires are above Boston. Other Latin American cities above it are Mexico City, Sao Paulo, and Santiago (Chile).

Monterrey is considerably below Boston, but it's also below Latin American cities such as Panama City, Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo; Lima, and Bogota.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2020t.html

Old 08-10-2021, 08:32 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
According to GaWC 2020, Kuala Lumpur and Buenos Aires are above Boston. Other Latin American cities above it are Mexico City, Sao Paulo, and Santiago (Chile).

Monterrey is considerably below Boston, but it's also below Latin American cities such as Panama City, Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo; Lima, and Bogota.

https://www.lboro.ac.uk/gawc/world2020t.html
This is a very famous ranking, but it's about connectivity and influence of the cities, not necessarily prosperity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World