Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:58 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times

Advertisements

India. Between the drivers who refuse to let anyone pass them, the cows roaming the streets, the jay walkers, motorcyclists who ignore traffic signals, and the lack of adequate street lighting, every ride winds up being a stressful, gut-wrenching experience. Also terrifying is the total concern that drivers have for hitting pedestrians.

I saw a woman get hit by a car, and the motorist drove just off and other pedestrians just kept on going like it was nothing. When I tried to make a big deal out of it by asking people to call the police, everyone just looked at me like I was crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 12:06 PM

2,304 posts, read 2,963,094 times
Cairo. And if you're a pedestrian every time you cross the street you risk your life. No one observes red lights, stop signs. Chaos.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,903 times
Has to be India.
Funny thing is, they now have enforced mandatory seat belts and speed limits on "expressways", but other roads have no limits.
So it's possible to see cars driving at 80 km/hr on the expressways and at 100+ in city roads (potholes permitting) at night.

Marie1249 is absolutely right about hitting pedestrians/other vehicles. Nobody thinks its worth giving a second thought about, including the ones being hit.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:16 PM

113 posts, read 278,306 times
Turkey. Few drivers notice the traffic lights, they don't pause for pedestrians and fly past the police (who do nothing about it anyway) and drive in the dark on major routes.
Was terrified anytime I wanted to cross the road. You would look all around and just before you stepped out, a car would appear from nowhere barrelling down on you.
Scary, and I had always thought Spain was bad.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:25 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
Great thread! These stories of driving in India remind me of the car chase scene in the movie The Bourne Supremacy where Matt Damon is chased through the streets of a city in India. Maybe that was just normal driving there. Keep the stories coming.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:32 PM

63 posts, read 213,328 times
China, then Indonesia according to my experience. In China people drive like crazy, brakes n gases vary very rapidly from time to time. In Indonesia, it's most of the time the motorcycles n the pedestrian (ever imagine how can you see a person with dark clothing crossing the street? Or motorcycles that don't have tail-lights or fading front lights?)

Old 08-31-2008, 11:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Go to YouTube and search for /hanoi traffic/. You will not believe the videos.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:07 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,502,821 times
Default worlds craziest drivers

In my opinon china, never being to india so cant comment their. Catching this bus in the west of the country is an experience in itself.
Dodging pot holes, tractors, old coummunist trucks, donkey drawn carrages and pedistrians, and never slowing down for any of them. It's scary stuff!

Old 09-03-2008, 04:24 AM

8 posts, read 63,305 times
Hehehehehhe.... Although i m living in Cairo and ve being seen what u exactly depicted everyday ,but really u made me rolling on the floor laughing coz of ur accurately expressions about we always suffer from in Cairo
i think that therez no anyway but migration out this jam and move to new other new cities near cairo and try to endure coming everyday to cairo for work or university or anything ,but either it may doesn't resolve the problem of the traffic, as we will be exposed everyday to the same traffic jam in Cairo ,so nooooo way

Old 09-10-2008, 08:51 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcHood View Post
Hehehehehhe.... Although i m living in Cairo and ve being seen what u exactly depicted everyday ,but really u made me rolling on the floor laughing coz of ur accurately expressions about we always suffer from in Cairo
i think that therez no anyway but migration out this jam and move to new other new cities near cairo and try to endure coming everyday to cairo for work or university or anything ,but either it may doesn't resolve the problem of the traffic, as we will be exposed everyday to the same traffic jam in Cairo ,so nooooo way
So how is the new seatbelt law going there?

When I was there over the summer, I was told that the seatbelt was going to become mandatory, I think in Alex but maybe Cairo too (don't know if it was country-wide or in certain cities). I was wondering how 7+ people in a car would share 5 seat belts!

You laugh, I actually brought a car seat with me for my 3.5 year old daughter. It didn't occur to me that she would need her own SEAT in order to use it, and that was a luxury we never had. I don't know what I was thinking, what a waste of space in my luggage, and money since we left it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World