Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 03:51 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,482,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Scotland isn't xenophobic.
Well, only when dealing with stupid Sassenachs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,121,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Well, only when dealing with stupid Sassenachs
LOL you know thats not true

Old 01-16-2009, 10:11 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,078,185 times
I found India and China to be the most pleasant countries to be in, because they are so huge and self-centered, they seem to have no awareness that there is any other place in the world It makes them inward-looking, instead of outwardly desiring to be some other culture instead of their own. So I suppose that would qualify as "Low Xenophobia"---they just are not concerned with thoughts about people who are not their own, with no reason to fear or hate them. In most "small" countries, there is always a sense they they are trying to emulate some larger or more influential place, very aware of the outside world and looking critically at it.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:00 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,265,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soahc View Post
A rule of Islam is to welcome foreigners. I have no experience traveling in the Arab world, but it would seem that despite stereotypes people would be welcomed there.

In Iraq I spent a lot of time amongst regular people there in their homes, businesses, markets, streets, etc. I have to say that the people are generally very hospitable although in many cases it seems a little contrived, insincere or solely for personal benefit/posterity. Many people were eager to invite you into their homes for tea and conversation. Pretty much any home you would go to, they would automatically prepare tea for you - in some cases even the bad guys.

Someone was telling me that in Islam there's something that says that if a man comes to your home, you must provide for him for up to three days before you can ask why he's there. I don't know how true this is.

Generally speaking they are a very suspicious people, prone to hysteria and conspiracy theories. I wouldn't say they aren't xenophobic by any means, just usually polite.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:29 AM

101 posts, read 763,815 times
India is indeed a very friendly country but not to all races unfortunately. But this is slowly changing. Previously Africans and Arabs didn't get too much respect from the Indians but now in cosmopolitan places, this is completely the opposite (you see many gorgeous indian girls dating guys from these countries).

Old 01-19-2009, 06:15 AM

7 posts, read 26,747 times
I also think that China is a friendly country .Because I have been in China,so I know more about China.They do not matter which country you come from.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:31 PM

15 posts, read 61,234 times
i can only speak about countries that i know about. the most xenophobic is usa. other countries that are xenophobic would include australia, canada, uk. i am not sure if the fear comes from actual fear, or is it motivated by some kind of political reason. i can say this because these are the kinds of people i know well. on the flip side would be india, arabic countries, philipines. they seem to be open to all kinds of foreigners.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,568,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMARTCREW View Post
i can only speak about countries that i know about. the most xenophobic is usa. other countries that are xenophobic would include australia, canada, uk. i am not sure if the fear comes from actual fear, or is it motivated by some kind of political reason. i can say this because these are the kinds of people i know well. on the flip side would be india, arabic countries, philipines. they seem to be open to all kinds of foreigners.
I agree. Of all the countries I've visited, the most xenophobic by far is the USA. They've only got one or two ethnicities, and only 20 million illegal immigrants. If it wasn't for the extreme xenpohobia, a country like the US should be expected to have a MINIMUM of 55 million illegals...why don't we HAVE that many? Simple....xenophobia. Canada is almost as bad. Hardly ANYONE can get in THERE unless they have "Canadian blood".

I ALSO agree with your "flip side". Take Saudi Arabia, for example....shucks, ANYBODY could walk in there...go anywhere, do anything. THOSE folks know how to make foreigners feel at home, that's for sure. "My theocracy is YOUR theocracy", as they like to say....come one, come all. Yemen? Oman? They practically "roll out the red carpet" for foreigners....

We have MUCH to learn.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:19 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,443,274 times
Brazil is a country that is very receptive and open to foreigners, gringos (as they call foreigners in Brazil) are seen with fascination and most people is curious and willing to learn about their culture, Brazilians have an open mind regarding many things, and people is very warm, that's the reason a lot of foreigners stay in this country hehe.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:59 PM

501 posts, read 1,430,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I agree. Of all the countries I've visited, the most xenophobic by far is the USA. They've only got one or two ethnicities, and only 20 million illegal immigrants. If it wasn't for the extreme xenpohobia, a country like the US should be expected to have a MINIMUM of 55 million illegals...why don't we HAVE that many? Simple....xenophobia. Canada is almost as bad. Hardly ANYONE can get in THERE unless they have "Canadian blood".
*inserts the scratching the head emoticon*

Sarcasm, much? One to two ethnicities? Really now... I wonder what they are. Same goes for Canada. Have you really visited/seen through both countries? Edit: Unless your response is actually a sarcastic response to SMARTCREW, then, nevermind.

Last edited by Unknown Memory; 02-08-2009 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World