Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 AM

236 posts, read 387,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I agree, but I think your (generic 'your')own expectations have to shift a little as well. If we expect something to be 'different' or change somehow b/c we change locations, yet it seems prevelant no matter how many times we shift locations, then it must be our own attitude that's the stumbling block. I gave the U.S my vote b/c of how I percieved it at the time, and my experiences there. We still didn't get to Colorado, Illinois, the Dakotas, Wyoming..and I still want to see all of these places.
Pity about that damn ocean in the way!
100% agree jacq63 ! BTW - Azerbaijan and Turkey both have great and beautiful places to visit. Plus - mixture of cultures! Everyone is welcome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:25 AM
wsa

1 posts, read 2,780 times
Your favorite Country?
Certainly Russia. Good people, beautiful nature, fertile land.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:57 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have spent the year abroad and I don't feel any of that at all! If anything, I feel annoyed when I see other Americans who aren't giving it their all to live like the natives in the country they are in. Not to mention the sheer volume, pitch, and rhythm coming out of their mouths. It's so jarring and it takes time living in a different country to realize just HOW annoying it can be.

My favorite country by far is Iceland with Scotland and France coming in behind. I feel like I truly should have been born in Iceland- though granted I lived there before the economy and government fell. Even the smallest of towns had superb educational standards, a polyglot population, and a deep sense of national pride. It was interesting to see national pride in a way that one can ACTUALLY be proud of and happy to see- I just don't feel that with the American brand of pride, nor that of many other countries.

I adored Edinburgh. The city has an energy like nowhere else- and as someone who has lived in London, Mexico City, and Boston, that's saying something. While I wouldn't want to live in the Highlands, they're wonderful to visit. Everyone in Scotland was very friendly and willing to strike up a chat over drinks and the scenery was breathtaking.

I just got back from France and am shocked at the misconceptions Americans seem to have about the French. Only in a few places that I've traveled have I met such genuinely friendly, helpful people! I'm not just talking people in the tourist industry but also people I met in cafes and at the hotel as well. I only ran into a few people who didn't speak either English or Spanish which was nice since my French is rusty and very basic, but since I always made such a concerted effort to speak French, people were more than happy to help me out with grammar and vocabulary if I needed it.

I don't know about other people, but living and traveling abroad have made it very difficult for me to bare the thought of returning to the United States. I still love New England where I go to university and most of my friends and family are, but my parents live in Georgia (where I also grew up) which previously was just tolerable. Now it's an absolutely dreadful prospect.
Amen to that! I see so many people who come to Panama and want to change it to 'Little North America'. I'm not 'fluent' in the native language, but make the attempt to communicate and it's amazing how gracious the Panamanians are correcting my grammer - though I have learned to say, quite well I must say, that my Spanish is not good and my grammar is muy malo (very bad). They just appreciate the 'effort' by expats to try to speak in their language. Panama is rich in culture, the country is absolutely beautiful, lower cost of living and safer than most places in NA.

If I wanted 'Little North America' I would have stayed there or moved to Cabo which is essentially a suburb of San Diego now. A lot of wonderful expats here in Panama, but still some who treat the locals like you-know-what. I live in Panamanian neighborhoods and have for over 4 years - This last Christmas, my neighbor (a Panamanian) brought me and my son a huge plate of food on Christmas Day. Reminds me of the US in the '70's, but with 21st Century technology.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:47 PM

106 posts, read 357,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
As a dual national (US, Australia) now living in Canada I have to say..
Australia (my adopted home state of South Australia) - clean air, pristine beaches, beautiful wine regions, beautiful countryside (watch a few episodes of McLeod's Daughters on youtube), the Outback, friendly locals and yes kangaroos
Canada (specifically British Columbia)
US (New England - history, beauty, shoreline with lighthouses)

But I also have to say I found Laos wonderful.. very friendly people who are not pushy, you don't see a sex trade (refreshing change from Thailand and Cambodia), great food, nice beer (Beer Lao), beautiful mountains and vistas from the Mekong, fascinating Buddhist culture.. I could live happily in Luang Prabang. In Thailand people were trying to sell me prostitutes and to con me out of seeing the king's palace, in Cambodia tuk tuk drivers would follow you even if you said no thanks to a ride and offered me a prostitute... so stepping out of the plane in Laos was refreshing.
I am 100% with you... except for the US. I would of slipped Italy or Germany in there instead. Great notes on Laos. I was there over xmas and can't agree with you more.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:55 PM

106 posts, read 357,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have spent the year abroad and I don't feel any of that at all! If anything, I feel annoyed when I see other Americans who aren't giving it their all to live like the natives in the country they are in. Not to mention the sheer volume, pitch, and rhythm coming out of their mouths. It's so jarring and it takes time living in a different country to realize just HOW annoying it can be.

My favorite country by far is Iceland with Scotland and France coming in behind. I feel like I truly should have been born in Iceland- though granted I lived there before the economy and government fell. Even the smallest of towns had superb educational standards, a polyglot population, and a deep sense of national pride. It was interesting to see national pride in a way that one can ACTUALLY be proud of and happy to see- I just don't feel that with the American brand of pride, nor that of many other countries.

I adored Edinburgh. The city has an energy like nowhere else- and as someone who has lived in London, Mexico City, and Boston, that's saying something. While I wouldn't want to live in the Highlands, they're wonderful to visit. Everyone in Scotland was very friendly and willing to strike up a chat over drinks and the scenery was breathtaking.

I just got back from France and am shocked at the misconceptions Americans seem to have about the French. Only in a few places that I've traveled have I met such genuinely friendly, helpful people! I'm not just talking people in the tourist industry but also people I met in cafes and at the hotel as well. I only ran into a few people who didn't speak either English or Spanish which was nice since my French is rusty and very basic, but since I always made such a concerted effort to speak French, people were more than happy to help me out with grammar and vocabulary if I needed it.

I don't know about other people, but living and traveling abroad have made it very difficult for me to bare the thought of returning to the United States. I still love New England where I go to university and most of my friends and family are, but my parents live in Georgia (where I also grew up) which previously was just tolerable. Now it's an absolutely dreadful prospect.
Great post! I too was embarrassed traveling abroad and meeting other Americans. I found many to be very inconsiderate of the countries they were visiting .. be it talking too loud, expecting too much or not trying to understand their culture. I often tried to blend in with the Brits, Canadians and Aussies.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
My favorite countries are The Soudan, North Korea and Chad.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:20 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomisterniceguy View Post
My favorite countries are The Soudan, North Korea and Chad.
Wow, that's an interesting array, especially Sudan and Chad

Old 05-04-2009, 07:24 PM

11 posts, read 26,399 times

Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 PM
ako

140 posts, read 337,681 times
Palau!

It's beautiful, small and everybody there is really nice. It's one of the places you really have to go before you die.

Go google Palau now!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,519 times
Default My favourite country

I really like Venice, and it was once an independant republic. But now its a part of Italy. My favourite of all countries is Greece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World