Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 03:10 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times

Advertisements

In SE Asia they serve locally-brewed beer, both local brands (Tiger, Beer Lao, Singha) or European brands which have local facilities (Carlsberg). Beer should be local, like food. This thing about hauling a bottle of anything across the ocean is a waste of fuel and implicates our wasteful 'faux' wealth society. BUD and Miller don't deserve to be shipped across any ocean, IMHO.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Its because of the American troops over there. Most Germans drink real beer.
Actually the area of the Czech Republic where Budweis is located is in the Sudetenland which has been populated by ethnic Germans for centuries. Of course WW2 changed that, but Budweiser is a direct descendant of German brew.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:30 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
In SE Asia they serve locally-brewed beer, both local brands (Tiger, Beer Lao, Singha) or European brands which have local facilities (Carlsberg). Beer should be local, like food. This thing about hauling a bottle of anything across the ocean is a waste of fuel and implicates our wasteful 'faux' wealth society. BUD and Miller don't deserve to be shipped across any ocean, IMHO.
I'd be willing to bet that Budweiser in Europe is actually brewed there.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:19 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Why Aren't American Beers easily available worldwide?

The major brewers, Budweiser, Miller, Coors claim to be the best beers. Of course, that's just marketing. But I doubt that getting an American beer outside the US would be easy. In which countries can one find American beers? Are Americans the only ones who drink American beer?
To be honest, many nations have their own beer. Personally, I don't like the big 3 beers. I prefer imported beer or a local brew(Sweetwater 420 from Atlanta,GA). I think many nations prefer their own beer. Personally, I like Pilsner Urquell, Tsingtao, and Guiness.

Beers in other nations:

Canada - Labatt, Molson
Mexico- Dos Equis, Bohemia, Corona, Tecate
Germany - Becks, Warsteiner, St. Pauli, Spaten
Belgium - Duvel, Stella Artois
Czech Republic - Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen
Russia - Baltika
Jamaica - Red Stripe
Japan - Asahi, Sapporo, Kirin Ichiban
China - Tsingtao
Vietnam - Tiger
Ireland - Guiness
England - Smithwicks
Australia - Newcastle
New Zealand - Steinlager

Old 05-29-2009, 07:04 PM

421 posts, read 2,534,452 times
Funny you mention about American Beer because I just got back from Aruba on a week's vacation and couldn't find one bottle of Miller Lite anywhere, even the bars and restaurants didn't have any. The bartenders told me everyone in Aruba has a hard time getting Miller Lite, maybe it costs too much to import.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:25 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
T
Canada - Labatt, Molson
Russia - Baltika
Jamaica - Red Stripe
China - Tsingtao
Vietnam - Tiger
Ireland - Guiness
England - Smithwicks
Australia - Newcastle
New Zealand - Steinlager
Labatts, Molson, Corona, Steinlager, Kirin, Sapporo, Tsingtao are simply more expensive versions of the crap the big American breweries produce (at least the versions of these beers that we get in the U.S.). I know that some countries brew their best beer in-country. I never saw Steinlager in the green bottles in NZ, but I had some excellent beer in a brewpub in Auckland. In Australia, I had a tasty English-style bitter in a pub in Sydney. In Britain you go to a local pub with "hand-pulled" bitter to get the good stuff.

It's similar in the U.S. (but only since the 1980s). The craft breweries produce a tremendous amount of styles and the beer is nothing like the bud/miller/coors family of anemic lagers. I do have a problem with the overhopping you get in some of the microbrews on the West Coast - its another way of flattening the beer world into one basic style. A brewery might legitmately produce a highly-hopped India Pale Ale, but when it brews a brown ale it should have a totally different character (sweeter without a pronounced hoppiness). Instead, some breweries just produce pale, amber, brown, and black versions of an IPA (but with even more hoppiness then is traditional for that style).

Old 05-30-2009, 12:52 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,161 times
Because they cannot compete with European brewers such as Carlsberg or Heineken.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:58 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Quote:
To be honest, many nations have their own beer. Personally, I don't like the big 3 beers. I prefer imported beer or a local brew(Sweetwater 420 from Atlanta,GA). I think many nations prefer their own beer. Personally, I like Pilsner Urquell, Tsingtao, and Guiness.

Beers in other nations:

Vietnam - Tiger
Tiger beer is a Singapore-based company. They do, however, have breweries and bottlers in other SE and NE Asian countries. For example, if BUD is brewed and bottled in Germany, I have no issues. Keep it local.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:52 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,521,494 times
Quote:

Beers in other nations:

Canada - Labatt, Molson
Russia - Baltika
Jamaica - Red Stripe
China - Tsingtao
Vietnam - Tiger
Ireland - Guiness
England - Smithwicks
Australia - Newcastle
New Zealand - Steinlager

hey, thanks for all this information. i know red stripe to be real good. from there, i also used to know heineken.

Old 05-31-2009, 12:50 AM

441 posts, read 1,327,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Why Aren't American Beers easily available worldwide?

The major brewers, Budweiser, Miller, Coors claim to be the best beers. Of course, that's just marketing. But I doubt that getting an American beer outside the US would be easy. In which countries can one find American beers? Are Americans the only ones who drink American beer?
First is tradition. Why would you change the beer brand that is drunk in your area for 200 years, because some US brewery claims to be the best in world... kay

Second. In europe draft beer is much more common. It's transported from brewery directly to the pub's underground "tank"... whole process is without access of oxygen and light. You can't compare taste or color of such beer with some Miller bottle shipped overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World