Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times

Advertisements

I think I would stay home. I live in Beggs, Oklahoma or rather outside of it. Or I might go to my mom's house..in Checotah, Oklahoma or in the rural area around it. But either one of these is not really a good place because:
1. I can grow my own crops but currently I rely on mechanized equipment that I wouldn't have then.
2. I don't have any animals to rely on for meat products or eggs/dairy nor do I hunt or have a place to do so.
3. Won't be enough people to sustain a "colony" type that I know or could trust, meaning reproductive ages for having babies/doing hard work/defense of area and older aged for help/advice/childcare/defense of area. Homesteading is hard work.

It would be very difficult if not impossible for one couple or small family to make a go of it without
an influx of supplies from somewhere occasionally. I know it can happen, but it sure would be hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 10:15 PM

8 posts, read 18,112 times
I am going to the ocean, plenty of water and few people.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:19 AM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Scovel View Post
I am going to the ocean, plenty of water and few people.
Water, water, every where,
And all the boards did shrink ;
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.
- Sameul Taylor Coleridge

Old 11-24-2009, 03:14 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,488,111 times
New Zealand ...?

Old 11-24-2009, 05:48 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
I'd put all my possessions in a swag and go a waltzing mathilda all over country Australia; but I would NOT jump into the Billabong! Country NSW, VIC, SA, WA... but not in the NT (crocs, mean insects), Queensland (too muggy) or Tassie (too cold). Going walkabout among the wine regions of SA would be brilliant!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
What a terrible list.

THAILAND is one of the most money-hungry places on planet earth. If the world went to hell, they'd be so quickly grasping for your money. Either way, you'd be much worse off from arriving at their shores. Particularly if all the money-centers of the world disappeared, you'd be taken for everything you got so quickly with no refuge to 'get things back together'.

CAPETOWN and RIO are two other terrible choices. Having lived in Brazil as well, if things went to hell, they'd throw you in the pit first - after taking everything you own.

That little island surrounded by salt sea is also a pretty poor choice.

---

Anyways, I'd say the UPPER PENINSULA of MICHIGAN should be on anyways list. Tons of FRESH WATER - no salt water.

In general, if the world went to hell, each nation will be taking care of their own first, and to hell with the rest. So being an 'American' elsewhere, you'll be perceived as 'giving' and that would get tiring real quick.

I'd say a person is best to make due with somewhere in the U.S., if the world went to hell, and fresh water would be better than salt water sea, etc. Plus you need good growing earth.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:00 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What a terrible list.

THAILAND is one of the most money-hungry places on planet earth. If the world went to hell, they'd be so quickly grasping for your money. Either way, you'd be much worse off from arriving at their shores. Particularly if all the money-centers of the world disappeared, you'd be taken for everything you got so quickly with no refuge to 'get things back together'.

---

Anyways, I'd say the UPPER PENINSULA of MICHIGAN should be on anyways list. Tons of FRESH WATER - no salt water.

In general, if the world went to hell, each nation will be taking care of their own first, and to hell with the rest. So being an 'American' elsewhere, you'll be perceived as 'giving' and that would get tiring real quick.

I'd say a person is best to make due with somewhere in the U.S., if the world went to hell, and fresh water would be better than salt water sea, etc. Plus you need good growing earth.
I agree! But the UP has a short growing season! I'd add southern Ontario, south of Windsor around Leamington. Its fairly south, and granted Lake Erie may not seem the cleanest water, but you can sure grow food on it. Alternatively, Manitoba has plenty of water (if you can stand winter and mosquitos in summer).

As for their choice of Thailand, I have no idea why! I am one of the few that like Thailand but did not love it for the reason you gave above; the money thing and the sex trade that I saw. Not my cup of tea. It was a little better in Chiang Mai but the city itself was underwhelming; the countryside was the draw. I was happiest across the border in Laos, despite having to wait 5 hours for my Lao Airlines Chinese made turbo-prop to arrive from Vientiane to take me from Luang Prabang to Chiang Mai. Talk about being adventurous -- a Chinese made French designed turbo-prop flown by a poor third world airline!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World