Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 11:22 AM

148 posts, read 308,430 times

Advertisements

Countries listed so far that I couldn't possibly agree with, Western Australia (For one thing it’s not a country it’s a state). Western Australia is class craic, get out in the country and you could be entertained for a lifetime, I loved it.

Ireland: You obviously never been here, to be bored of Ireland is to be bored of life (I know that was originally said about London).
I suspect you have watched too many re-runs of the Quite Man. This is 2010 not 1950.

Scotland: the Scots are mad craic, Edinburgh is pure class.

Wales: the Welsh are as mad as hatters, and Cardiff is hectic, Snowdonia is heavenly.

(Bit suspicious that Ireland, Wales & Scotland listed together, do I smell a whiff of Perfidious Albion or a little Englander perchance?)

France: Paris is simply the Worlds greatest city, France is a very diverse nation, Celtic Brittany, Norman Normandy, Basques in the South West, Corsicans in Corsica, Pay de Nord had been influenced by England, Belgium & Coal mining, Alsace-Lorraine (Franco-German), the people from the Alps region are pure nutters. Even among the French French the North and South are very different, a lot of Italian, North African and Burgandian influence in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born&BredIrish View Post
Countries listed so far that I couldn't possibly agree with, Western Australia (For one thing it’s not a country it’s a state). Western Australia is class craic, get out in the country and you could be entertained for a lifetime, I loved it.

Ireland: You obviously never been here, to be bored of Ireland is to be bored of life (I know that was originally said about London).
I suspect you have watched too many re-runs of the Quite Man.

Scotland: the Scots are mad craic, Edinburgh is pure class.

Wales: the Welsh are as mad as hatters, and Cardiff is hectic, Snowdonia is heavenly.

(Bit suspicious that Ireland, Wales & Scotland listed together, to I smell [SIZE=3]Perfidious Albion [/SIZE]or a little Englander perchance?)

Old 04-05-2010, 07:56 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born&BredIrish View Post
More specifically Perth, even though living anywhere in WA for a long time isn't what I'd call exciting. Peaceful, yes, but just so far away from everything.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 AM

148 posts, read 308,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
More specifically Perth, even though living anywhere in WA for a long time isn't what I'd call exciting. Peaceful, yes, but just so far away from everything.
OK I will admit as a backpacker I had the luxury to move around, loved Coral Bay

Old 04-07-2010, 10:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
One person's "boring" is another person's "pleasant and relaxing."

I've never traveled overseas, but some countries I've heard of as "boring" or that might fit would include

North Korea - Limited options in entertainment or travel along with something like a strict caste system.

Liechtenstein - Mostly just banks and banking firms from what I've been told. I'd like to see it someday and it has a nice museum, but there isn't that much to it.

Singapore - Affluent, orderly, and strict laws. I think it was described by someone as like being a giant mall or a "Fascist" Disneyland. Does have legalized prostitution though, but possibly guys who have to solicit prostitutes are also dull.

Sweden - Several places online list them and a National Geographic article I read said they have a dull image.

Bermuda - Not really a country, but sounds pleasant. And pleasant can also translate into "boring."

Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
and just how many times have you been to these countries?
Yeah!!! How many times and for HOW LONG?? Being at the airport and switching planes does not count!
And then... what places/towns in all those countries you visited, what did you see and how long did you stay in each place? I also would like to know what did you disliked there. Be more specific, please

Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 AM

61,717 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
in my opinion, no offense:
- Pacific Island nations
- Scandinavia
- Eastern Europe/ Baltic regions
- Caribbean
- Central America
- Mongolia/ Northern Asia
- Ireland/ Scotland/ Wales
- Western Australia
- Northern Canada
So, you have been in every of those places at least twice, huh?
I found this interesting statement here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/11984433-post60.html " I have not been to Australia so cannot comment on that."
or this one: I was born and grew up in suburban Los Angeles
http://www.city-data.com/forum/13635225-post29.html
and then: I was born in Singapore
http://www.city-data.com/forum/3677183-post17.html

Old 04-08-2010, 12:45 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,296 times
People have some peculiar observations or at least perceptions about the world.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:53 AM

9,930 posts, read 13,926,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
This thread smells of prejudice....
Don't go making trouble where there is none.

This topic involves individual perceptions and opinions.

No need to get yourself in a lather before the shower has even started.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:59 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
People have some peculiar observations or at least perceptions about the world.
Mine was just going on what I'd read as I've not been able to travel as I'd like. Also I don't necessarily see "boring" as a criticism. Often a place considered "boring" is what I'd want as I don't necessarily like parties or noise. Or at least I don't always want that.

Still I'd actually be interested in hearing why Bermuda, North Korea, Liechtenstein, Singapore, and Sweden are actually exciting or entertaining places. I worry that sounds sarcastic, but I'm being sincere. (Well maybe not on North Korea, I'm not that interested in a spirited defense of them)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World