Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,527,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In New York and New Jersey, we DO stand "on line". That's come up before in those forums.

I would never say I stood in line for tickets, for example. I would say I stood on line for tickets.

But British politicians stand for election while American politicians run for election.
probably because American campaigns are so much longer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 PM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
probably because American campaigns are so much longer
That's true!!! The Brit who told me about "standing" for election told me that they have three weeks or something to get their campaigning done. Wouldn't that be nice?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,176,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

This is just get the impression I got but Americans tend to say 'will not', 'cannot' alot more than us. I never use the word 'cannot'.

The goddam apostrophe is too far away from the alphabetical letters on the standard keyboard, so it is a pain in the ass to keep looking for it every time I try to touch type a sentence, so I never use is if I can avoid it. Meanwhile, I go days and days without ever using a semicolon, but it's right there where the apostrophe ought to be, since the apostrophe is the only printers mark that regularly occurs in the standard spelling of words. Maybe British keyboards are less sadistic, and have the apostrophe where it belongs.

I never say will not, cannot, do not, but I type them all the time.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,341,138 times
Oftentimes. I hear it a lot in the US, never heard it in the UK.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:06 AM

88,831 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The goddam apostrophe is too far away from the alphabetical letters on the standard keyboard, so it is a pain in the ass to keep looking for it every time I try to touch type a sentence, so I never use is if I can avoid it. Meanwhile, I go days and days without ever using a semicolon, but it's right there where the apostrophe ought to be, since the apostrophe is the only printers mark that regularly occurs in the standard spelling of words. Maybe British keyboards are less sadistic, and have the apostrophe where it belongs.

I never say will not, cannot, do not, but I type them all the time.
Why are you LOOKING? You use your pinkie. You are never supposed to be looking at the keyboard when you type!

Old 08-07-2011, 02:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,527,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
My American friend comments on phrases he hasn't heard/finds strange. Oh another one, he said in American you would say, 'I went to the hospital' instead of 'I went to hospital' a small one but one he picked up on.
Isn't the latter grammatically incorrect in any English dialect?

I don't know why it would or wouldn't be, really - but I can think of one instance where people in the US use a similar phrase, and it's something that drove me NUTS every time I heard it in high school...

"Are you going to prom?"

Maybe I'm the one that's crazy, I don't know. I think that somehow, within the confines of English, there has to be some kinda rule that states to GO somewhere, it has to be a specific place (i.e. Nebraska, Wal-Mart, Tommy's 36th birthday party)... otherwise it needs a "the" in front of it (i.e. the next state over, the store, the party). Does that make sense to anyone?

The only other instance I can think of where similar phrasing is used in American English is "I'm going to church" - although that phrase implies going to participate in the actual mass (similar to "I'm going to pieces", or "this plan has gone to sh*t"). If you were going to the church for some other reason, you would include a "the" - for instance "I'm going to the church to drop off some clothes for the needy".

Great thread, I never noticed this section of the forum until today. I always think it's interesting the way things are said in different languages and dialects.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:33 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,685,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Isn't the latter grammatically incorrect in any English dialect?

I don't know why it would or wouldn't be, really - but I can think of one instance where people in the US use a similar phrase, and it's something that drove me NUTS every time I heard it in high school...

"Are you going to prom?"

Maybe I'm the one that's crazy, I don't know. I think that somehow, within the confines of English, there has to be some kinda rule that states to GO somewhere, it has to be a specific place (i.e. Nebraska, Wal-Mart, Tommy's 36th birthday party)... otherwise it needs a "the" in front of it (i.e. the next state over, the store, the party). Does that make sense to anyone?

The only other instance I can think of where similar phrasing is used in American English is "I'm going to church" - although that phrase implies going to participate in the actual mass (similar to "I'm going to pieces", or "this plan has gone to sh*t"). If you were going to the church for some other reason, you would include a "the" - for instance "I'm going to the church to drop off some clothes for the needy".

Great thread, I never noticed this section of the forum until today. I always think it's interesting the way things are said in different languages and dialects.
I thought it was used that way for any institution rather than the building itself, i.e. you would say you were in church/in prison/at school or I at least would say 'in hospital'. I'd only use 'the' if I was referring to the actual building.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:46 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,527,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I thought it was used that way for any institution rather than the building itself, i.e. you would say you were in church/in prison/at school or I at least would say 'in hospital'. I'd only use 'the' if I was referring to the actual building.
Like I said, I don't really know LOL... it just sounds "more right" to me. Should have paid more attention in English class.

You could very well be right, and Americans do say "going to school" / "going to prison" as distinct acts separate from "going to the school" / "going to the prison" (why didn't I think of these?)

Old 08-07-2011, 03:52 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,849,129 times
Quote:
Like I said, I don't really know LOL... it just sounds "more right" to me. Should have paid more attention in English class.

You could very well be right, and Americans do say "going to school" / "going to prison" as distinct acts separate from "going to the school" / "going to the prison" (why didn't I think of these?)
That is kind of funny. I would never say going to hospital, like I would never say going to office. It would be going to a hospital or going to an office, if we are speaking in generalities, and not specifics. Although I would say going to school, church, temple, college, yet I wouldn't say going to university. And regarding the thead title, I wouldn't say learnt.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,063,696 times
Quote:

"Are you going to prom?"
the party). Does that make sense to anyone?
Big difference between are you going to the party, or are you going to party.

Us New Orleans people would drive you nuts. We say things like, are you going to make groceries when shopping for food. Of course if we could make them we wouldn't have to shop for them.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing