Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:33 AM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's a beveridge, like a drink.
Oh, lol. Like "Telly" for television, "Brolly" for umbrella.

The whole country speaks in baby talk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 01:27 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,319,346 times
Quote:
Either way, I think it's quite obvious there are far more Britishisms/Aussieisms that Americans are ignorant of than the other way round.
Why is it "ignorant"? Hospital is a noun, not a verb. To say we are going to eat makes sense because you're about to do an action (eat). Unless Brits use 'hospital' on a different context, those big old medical buildings are. . . uh. . . things. Nouns.

And isn't "cannot" the proper way to say it??????????????

I don't know why people even compare the two. That's like comparing Europe's French with the French dialect of Louisiana (which I've read is hardly familiar to European French).

Who BLOODY cares??????

Old 02-17-2011, 03:34 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Why is it "ignorant"? Hospital is a noun, not a verb. To say we are going to eat makes sense because you're about to do an action (eat). Unless Brits use 'hospital' on a different context, those big old medical buildings are. . . uh. . . things. Nouns.

And isn't "cannot" the proper way to say it??????????????

I don't know why people even compare the two. That's like comparing Europe's French with the French dialect of Louisiana (which I've read is hardly familiar to European French).

Who BLOODY cares??????
Cool down sister, I meant ignorant as in 'unaware', not as stupid or wrong. A word has more than one definition.

To us it makes sense to say, 'I went to hospital,' although 'I went to the hospital' doesn't sound wrong. It's kind of the same as saying 'I went to school', you Americans don't say 'I went to the school' usually.

Well yeah, never said 'cannot' wasn't proper, I just notice you guys say 'cannot' alot more than plain old 'can't.'

Old 02-17-2011, 04:45 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,493,152 times
Yes, hospital is a funny one. If I were going to a hospital for treatment, I'd say "I'm going to hospital tomorrow". If I'm going to visit a patient, I would say "I'm going to the hospital to visit Jane". I wouldn't say "I'm going to hospital to visit Jane".

So - to me - leaving out the word "the" infers that the speaker is referring to themselves (or another person) being a patient in the hospital.

Maybe that's just me LOL.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:12 PM

773 posts, read 2,634,892 times
Quote:
I hear phrases like "I will not disappoint you."
You probably meant "I shall not disappoint you." (Simple future.)

That reminds me of a funny story:

A college freshman was swimming in a lake. Taken by cramps, he began to sink. He called out for help:
“Oh Lord! I will drown and no one shall save me!”
A group of college grammarians were having a picnic nearby. Being well brought up as well as tenured academicians, they honored his wishes and permitted him to drown.

Last edited by Zea mays; 02-19-2011 at 08:44 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 11:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Yes, hospital is a funny one. If I were going to a hospital for treatment, I'd say "I'm going to hospital tomorrow". If I'm going to visit a patient, I would say "I'm going to the hospital to visit Jane". I wouldn't say "I'm going to hospital to visit Jane".

So - to me - leaving out the word "the" infers that the speaker is referring to themselves (or another person) being a patient in the hospital.

Maybe that's just me LOL.
I'm the same, actually.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:08 PM

76 posts, read 167,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yanks sounds strange. The term "Yankees" only refers to a sports team here.
Down here Yankee means something else- as in Yankee go home.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:13 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,493,152 times
I've noticed a few different posters on city-data have used the word 'barrow' when it appears - from the context - that they mean 'borrow'. It's not an obvious typo since the letter 'a' is some distance from the letter 'o' on a keyboard. Can anyone fill me in on this?

Old 02-28-2011, 06:02 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,755,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
When I first came to America I noticed New Englanders say things like,
"so don't we", "so aren't we" "let see if we can't" when they should be saying "so do we" "so are we" "lets see if we can". It made the people sound like they weren't very bright. And you absolutely cannot correct them or point out their error.

My Mother who is from London said once "we had a terrific storm" meaning it was an intense storm. My friends laughed and said "what was so good about it?"
As someone who's lived in New England my entire life, the only time I ever heard anyone say "so don't we" and "so aren't we" was in elementary school by a little girl. I distinctly remember it because it sounded so wrong. That's probably just a childish grammatical error and if you were hearing it from adults.....hmmmm. I don't know the answer.

Also, we do say "There was a terrific thunderstorm." My mother (family from New England since 1640) used to say it and so do I. It means a horrible or really strong thunderstorm.

There are probably little pockets of sub dialects within New England and definitely there are different levels of education.

Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,552,333 times
The British use the term "vexed" a lot, which is rarely used in the US. We would just say "angry."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing