Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:07 PM

563 posts, read 929,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I'd say it was 23JAN11 because that's the way I learned to notate dates in the military, not because I'm from Europe.
Same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Wow. I rarely hear people NOT using contractions, unless they're trying to emphasize the NOT in the sentence.
Well it's enough for me to notice it as being a distinctly 'American' thing. I hear phrases like 'I cannot let you do that,' 'I will not disappoint you' ALL the time on American TV. The same would sound weird out of the mouth of an Aussie (maybe more common with Brits).

Old 01-23-2011, 06:50 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell5252 View Post
Some people just have a love for language, it sounds like you have it. I love the linguistics branch etymology, basically the history of words.
Old English can be pretty fun in modern times.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,224,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
One thing I think is that LEARNT is really not a word. It's a slang that's developed from the word "learned". And, it grates on me when I hear it!!!
Actually, it is a word as much as burnt is a word.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:37 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Old English can be pretty fun in modern times.
Agreed! I remember this one from my Old English class at University and anyone else who has studied Old English can probably get the answer. The riddle is NSFW to most (dirty) minds but, ironically, the proper answer is! ;-)

Ic eom wunderlicu wiht wifum on hyhte neahbuendum nyt; nægum sceþþe burgsittendra nymthe bonan anum. Staþol min is steapheah stonde ic on bedde neoðan ruh nathwær. Neþeð hwilum ful cyrtenu ceorles dohtor modwlonc meowle þæt heo on mec gripe ræseð mec on reodne reafath min heafod fegeð mec on fæsten. Feleþ sona mines gemotes seo þe mec nearwað wif wundenlocc. Wæt bið þæt eage.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,375,680 times
I just encountered the expression "aga saga" used about a book I happen to love.

I'm switching from using the word vacuuming, which is a noisy and tedious chore to hoovering which sounds like it could be fun.

In USA - would you like to have some coffee? In the UK - would you like to have a coffee? stove - cooker, dishes, crockery.

I am a dog lover as are most of my closest friends so when I heard the expression "chin wag" I adopted it right away, since we spend too much of our time, both in person and on the phone doing just that.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:52 PM

165 posts, read 530,452 times
"I'm mad about my flat" in UK means "I'm very pleased or proud of my apartment"

"I'm mad about my flat" in USA means "I'm angry that I had a flat tire (tyre)."

Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Agreed! I remember this one from my Old English class at University and anyone else who has studied Old English can probably get the answer. The riddle is NSFW to most (dirty) minds but, ironically, the proper answer is! ;-)

Ic eom wunderlicu wiht wifum on hyhte neahbuendum nyt; nægum sceþþe burgsittendra nymthe bonan anum. Staþol min is steapheah stonde ic on bedde neoðan ruh nathwær. Neþeð hwilum ful cyrtenu ceorles dohtor modwlonc meowle þæt heo on mec gripe ræseð mec on reodne reafath min heafod fegeð mec on fæsten. Feleþ sona mines gemotes seo þe mec nearwað wif wundenlocc. Wæt bið þæt eage.
To me, old English is something I read in the Three Musketeers.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:21 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane2 View Post
"dear" in UK (in various European languages "caro" or "chere") can either mean costly, or a term of endearment for a loved person. But in America "dear" only has the latter meaning.
Americans would say "expensive" or "Costly" to refer to price.

"Railway" in UK = "Railroad" in US. "Goods" in UK = "Freight" in US.
Born and raised in the midwest here. Have you never heard the expression that so-and-so paid dearly for that mistake or will pay dearly when his/her mother/spouse/boss finds out? It means that an action or behavior is going to be costly in terms of severe consequences.

Good used to be more common here when there were still dry goods stores instead of supermarkets.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Would it be inappropriate to say that I usually cannot tell the difference between old English and High German. Especially, when I am having high hopes and pipe dreams on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing