Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:45 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,840,296 times

Advertisements

As you wish.... here is a word that confuses:

Spendthrift

You'd think it means a person who spends wisely or is thrifty. Nope, just the opposite. A Spendthrift is a person who is wasteful with their money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,091,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Ah-HAH! At last, another person who knows The Princess Bride (movie) so well that he/she was instantly reminded of the exchange between Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) and Vizzini (Wallace Shawn)! The Princess Bride is one of our "guilty pleasure" movies, meaning that we enjoy it far more than perhaps we should, and watch it several times each year.
I believe it's pronounced "in-con-theevable" (with a lisp)

Old 10-20-2011, 02:52 PM

"*****rdly" is totally innocuous, but I probably wouldn't go using it in a sentence. Here's what it really means:

1: grudgingly mean about spending or granting : begrudging
2: provided in meanly limited supply

*****rdly - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Old 10-20-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
"*****rdly" is totally innocuous, but I probably wouldn't go using it in a sentence. Here's what it really means:

1: grudgingly mean about spending or granting : begrudging
2: provided in meanly limited supply

*****rdly - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
See what I mean? Even C-D's over-zealous censorship nanny won't let me post the word!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 PM

11,413 posts, read 7,840,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, I knew to what the OP referred the first time I saw the thread title!

One of the movies I will watch repeatedly. So many good lines...

As a matter of fact, on the NJ thread recently, someone was talking about making blunders, "the most famous of which is never get into a land war with Asia..."
But only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line"! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Ha ha ha...

Old 10-20-2011, 03:04 PM

44,399 posts, read 20,128,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Princess Bride and Tremors?

Two of my all-time favorite movies.
I've never seen either of those movies. 'Guess I need to find the time to rent or borrow them.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:07 PM

44,399 posts, read 20,128,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I was reading a book last night and came across a sentence describing how a student stayed after school for extra tuition. I'd never thought about it before, but the way we most often use the word "tuition" is to mean payment for instruction, rather than the instruction itself as the word implies (i.e. an instructor provides instruction, a tutor provides tuition.)
I'd never thought of that before. Interesting, fleetie!

Old 10-20-2011, 03:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,290,789 times
Nauseous. It has been misused for so long that they added another meaning for it in the dictionary.

It originally meant "to cause nausea." So people who said they were "nauseous" were basically saying they made other people sick. They really meant to say they were nauseated.

But language is a living thing and somewhere along the line, the incorrect use came to be accepted as a [URL="http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nauseous"]secondary definition[/URL].

Old 10-21-2011, 07:10 AM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
See what I mean? Even C-D's over-zealous censorship nanny won't let me post the word!

I know, isn't that ridiculous? But maybe it's because too many idiots misspell the word that way!

The other C-D silliness I found amusing was that you cannot post if someone graduated with high honors. You know, *** laude.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 AM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Nauseous. It has been misused for so long that they added another meaning for it in the dictionary.

It originally meant "to cause nausea." So people who said they were "nauseous" were basically saying they made other people sick. They really meant to say they were nauseated.

But language is a living thing and somewhere along the line, the incorrect use came to be accepted as a secondary definition.
Yes, that one seems to be a lost battle. I will always say "nauseated", though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing