Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 12:37 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times

Advertisements

I've written a children's book and have never published anything.
I've put it together informally & have been reading it to my kids, which they seem to like.
I think others might enjoy it too.

I'm not sure about copyright and if I should get an agent or just start submitting it on my own.
I'm not sure where to start or which publishers to submit to.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM

520 posts, read 1,006,118 times
Go to the library or bookstore and get a book on literary agents. That book will tell you which ones accept which types of books (children's, fiction, poetry, etc.). Get your list of agents together, submit query letters with the synopsis of the book (make it a good pitch). That's the way to get your publisher.

You may, also, want to look at self-publishing - either hard copy books, soft copy books, or both. Currently, I self-publish to Kindle and Smashwords. I'm not making a gangbuster of money, but you may be better at marketing than I am.

You will have to weight the pros and cons with (1) getting a publisher, (2) self publishing a hard copy book, (3) self publishing a soft copy book, or (4) Self publishing in all formats.

If you can get a publisher, the good thing about that is that it's like being an employee and having the financial backing to market, promote, etc. The downside is the control/loss of control, red tape, politics, etc.

Self-publishing is a hard hustle, but if you are an effective marketer, then you can maximize your profits.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:44 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,130,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
Go to the library or bookstore and get a book on literary agents. That book will tell you which ones accept which types of books (children's, fiction, poetry, etc.). Get your list of agents together, submit query letters with the synopsis of the book (make it a good pitch). That's the way to get your publisher.

You may, also, want to look at self-publishing - either hard copy books, soft copy books, or both. Currently, I self-publish to Kindle and Smashwords. I'm not making a gangbuster of money, but you may be better at marketing than I am.

You will have to weight the pros and cons with (1) getting a publisher, (2) self publishing a hard copy book, (3) self publishing a soft copy book, or (4) Self publishing in all formats.

If you can get a publisher, the good thing about that is that it's like being an employee and having the financial backing to market, promote, etc. The downside is the control/loss of control, red tape, politics, etc.

Self-publishing is a hard hustle, but if you are an effective marketer, then you can maximize your profits.
Ajsmith,
Thanks for such helpful advice!

Old 09-08-2012, 05:51 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,379,501 times
I'd skip the agent. No reason to pay someone 15% or more to do nothing but submit your manuscript to a publisher. I'd self-publish locally, maybe with a press release and a book signing at astore, get a good turnout and publishers might take notice. When you call them, you can say that you sold out your first 1,000 copies in the first month. They'll see dollar signs. They will only talk to people they can profit from. Prove it to them. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing