Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:02 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times

Advertisements

Hello All...

About 7-yrs ago, I bought a book for my nephew. I loved the story & pictures & would like to have it for myself. The problem is my sister doesn't have the book any longer & doesn't even recall it. I've searched through Amazon books, but it's a daunting task as I don't recall the author's name or book title. It's doubtful anyone else might recognize it with the little that I do recall, but nonetheless I thought I'd give it a go.

The author is British, a male from what I remember. The book is about a bunch of little characters (made up animals... in other words, not dogs & cats but things with unusual names akin to grinch or griggles... whimsical names). The story centered on their bus being stuck & all of them pitching in to be rescued. I think they had to stay in an empty cabin & some of the little creatures were afraid of shadows or the sounds of the wind, etc. It was a cute story, not too scary for the wee ones. The pics were very colorful & the story was for younger kids... maybe 5+. Sadly, that's all I recall.

I've got my fingers crossed that some of the writers onboard might be familiar with this book or perhaps he could be a more popular children's author? Anyone?

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM

Default Wrong forum?

Sorry, should this be posted in a children's/parenting forum? I assumed those posting in the Writing forum might have a better idea on authors??

Old 05-16-2013, 03:32 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Sorry, should this be posted in a children's/parenting forum? I assumed those posting in the Writing forum might have a better idea on authors??
I don't think it's a matter of forum, I just assume noone knows the answer.
I hope someone will be able to help you!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I don't think it's a matter of forum, I just assume noone knows the answer.
I hope someone will be able to help you!
Oh, no worries, Sudcaro. I know it's a bloody long shot in the dark. I was actually hoping someone might be able to tell me how to better search for the book/author, other than scrolling through millions of Amazon offerings. If I saw the cover again, I'd recognize it.

To my discredit, I also realize that asking the title & author of a children's book by offering such dodgy details is akin to asking the name of the movie with that actor who is usually on screen with that actress in those movies that aren't action, but sort of & he's married to that actress who's often confused with that other actress, but not the one you're probably thinking of, so...

Maybe I'll find it. If not, perhaps the Universe is telling me to write a children's book.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:36 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
I would suggest asking the children's librarian at your local library.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:15 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
I don't have the links handy- but maybe do a search using the phrase 'online children's library'. One link I will try and find has the books searchable from different approaches, age, subject, type, etc. and has the book available to read. Might stumble upon it there.
I'll try and dig up and post the links before the end of the weekend.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:26 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
This site may be of help:

Looking for a Childhood Book? Here's How. | Old Children's Books

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:10 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Could it be Beatrix Potter..

Old 05-20-2013, 04:58 PM

Missik... If I can't figure it out in the next few days, I'll give the librarians a try, thank you. Can't hurt. I'd imagine the library doesn't carry every children's book, just the popular ones as they weed out the less used ones to make room (I've noticed children's sections tend to be a bit small, in general), but perhaps they can suggest another way to search or have another online library, which is searchable by patrons.

Owl... Thank you very much. I will google the library & if you find other links, that would be grand, cheers. All I recall is the author was a British male... Bettingtonsmith or Merrysmithington or some such name a bit longer & not a known author, at least to me. I bought the book at Barnes & Noble in NYC years ago. I wonder if they have a searchable library of authors they've carried through the years, not just currently available books?

Kobber... I'll test out your link later today, thank you very much!

Dizzy... Not Potter. Current author, male, Brit. Good try though.

Thank you again, everyone. I appreciate your efforts! Now, I'm more likely to find it!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:15 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
This list of British children's book authors might help too:

Category:British children's writers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing