Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,294,908 times

Advertisements

which sentence is correct?

1) It's time for us to have a place of our own and everybody is welcomed to join.

2) It's time for us to have a place of our own and everybody is welcome to join.

please explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Two. "Welcomed" is past tense. "...is welcome" vs "...was welcomed."

Old 04-18-2012, 12:04 AM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post

1) It's time for us to have a place of our own and everybody is welcomed to join.

2) It's time for us to have a place of our own and everybody is welcome to join.

please explain.
Number 2 is correct, and not because of past or present tense, but because 'welcome' in the desired construction is an adjective. You are welcome (ha ha) to stop reading now if that has satisfied you, or read on if you want to be completely bored.

English has two rules for positioning adjectives:

1 - Attributive Position (before the noun):
"The green [adj] ball [noun]"

2 - Predicative Position (after the noun):
"The ball [noun] is green [adj]"

If the the adjective is predicative, it must include 'be' or other linking verbs such as 'seem, appear, feel, look,' etc. The verb 'be' when used in this construction is called a 'copula' This is different from the 'be' that is used in the progressive verb constructions such as "The dog is running," or passive constructions such as "I am loved." With progressives, the conjugated verb 'be' is always followed by another verb + 'ing', and with passive the conjugated verb 'be' is always followed by another verb + 'ed'

So to sum up, we have copula 'be' which is always followed by an adjective, and progressive & passive 'be' which is always followed by a verb.

The sentences above are deconstructed as follows:
1) Everybody [noun] --> is [auxiliary 'be'] --> welcomed [passive verb] to join.

2. Everybody [noun] --> is [copula 'be'] --> welcome [adj] to join.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Either form can be used, since "welcome" is valid as either a verb or an adjective.

#1 is using it as a verb, and in the example, the tense is wrong. It would have to be something like "everyone would be welcomed", in order to match the tense of the first part of the sentence, which is conditional -- there is not yet a place of our own in which to welcome.

#2 is using "welcome" as an adjective, as in "everyone is green". Everyone can already be welcome, but they can't yet be welcomed, because the pre-condition is not yet satisfied, and it has to be grammatically conditional.

Part of your problem is the conjunction "and", which should be replaced by "where".
"It's time for us to have a place of our own where everybody is welcome to join."
Using "and" makes both sentences clumsy and nonsensical.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post

please explain.
No.2...."is" makes it correct.....to use the word [welcomed]....the sentence would have to say......It ]was] time for us to have a place of our own and everybody [was] welcomed to join in.....ones present (is), ones past (was)......like jump, and jumped.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:27 PM

682 posts, read 2,422,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
No.2...."is" makes it correct.....to use the word [welcomed]....the sentence would have to say......It ]was] time for us to have a place of our own and everybody [was] welcomed to join in.....ones present (is), ones past (was)......like jump, and jumped.
This is not a matter of tense. As has been explained, it's about "is welcomed" as a passive verb, or "is welcome" as an adjective.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I just saw it listed as noun, verb, adjective and with an infinitive.

I rewrite sentences that bother me. It's time to have a place where everyone is welcome!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:52 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I should have added that it is easy for me to create a clumsy sentence that reads badly; I lost the rhythm. It is usually because I misplaced the subject. By the time I admit defeat and rewrite it I could have written a flash story.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:47 PM

1 posts, read 31,039 times
I am welcomed at my child's school, or I am welcome at my child's school.

it's a survey I'm doing from my daughter's school and they wrote welcome when I think it's welcomed .. its a pet peeve of mine I have to know which one is correct lol

Old 02-18-2015, 10:13 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missvicious510 View Post
I am welcomed at my child's school, or I am welcome at my child's school.

it's a survey I'm doing from my daughter's school and they wrote welcome when I think it's welcomed .. its a pet peeve of mine I have to know which one is correct lol
It depends upon the sentence.

If you went there and they were happy to see you, you were welcomed to your child's school!

But just know you are welcome to visit your child's school anytime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing