Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2007, 10:13 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times

Advertisements

For everyone who asks about wildlife in the Poconos how about this.....

Now that would not harm you........although it took months to do!!
How about finding these creatures in the woods

I think only the BEARS would scare you away, but then again, an owl hooting in the woods at night............might make one run
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 03:27 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,118,547 times
I LOVE the bears. I'd love any Pocono animal.

Thanks for sharing.......I'm glad you did.

Old 12-15-2007, 05:41 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,673,594 times
Default Christmas Eve Memories

Linger down the lane awhile ,of thoughts, and time.
Remember when the lights came on so fine.
You walked along the streets of town and listened.
While Bells would toll,and carolers sang,.... trees glistened.

The snow was falling gently on the ground.
The lights reflected in windows all around.

The pond was full of skaters, passing by.
The street was full of glad tidings,.... warm goodbyes.

A baker had his pies lined in a row, the cakes for
parties piled high ,thus so.

Do you remember when you were a child?
Did Santa leave you things that made you smile?
Your Mom and Dad, they looked at you with glee.......
It seems they made another memory.

Did you have a special bulb upon the tree?......One that
brings the thoughts of time spent happily.

Does it make you shed a tear, when now their gone?
And memories are the only thoughts that linger on.

As the train runs around your twinkling tree......can you
feel the harp of history?

As I walk around the town, I feel these sounds......the music, voices,
lights ........all around.
I linger on the lane of memories past, then turn the corner heading
home at last.

The shining wreath upon my homes front door.........reminds me that
Its Christmas time once more.

And memories made with love, will always be.......
The messenger from heaven, following me.

Summering..........
( look out for typos, I did this just now sitting here........in the past 15 min. and so.......never know?........) Can you tell I am in a Christmasy Mood?

Old 12-15-2007, 07:41 PM

Now I am, too. You know - I still don't have my tree? We'll be going to Heckman's Orchards tomorrow, though. Then it will feel real.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:53 PM

So much for my tree, Summering! In honor of this wonderful weather we're having in NEPA, here is

The Dancing Winds

A blanket of immaculated snow
covers a farm this season has abandoned,
and the winds dance a passionate Tango
across it's frosty stage.
Like two lovers lost in the dance,
the winds entwine, entice and envelop each other -
sending snowflakes that glisten like diamonds
waltzing up into the frigid indigo sky.
They whistle and howl;
orchestrating their own enchanting symphony
as they embrace, release and twirl.
Exhausted, their passion wanes to a breeze -
and they leave the theater;
without ever taking a bow.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,180,143 times
Smile Winter Solstice December 22nd at 1:02am EST

Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 AM

Smile The Legend of La Befana

This is one of my stories that I tell hope you enjoy it!

The Legend of La Befana

A Christmas tale from Italian Folklore retold by LLL, Storyteller

La Befana was an old woman who lived in a small village in Italy. She was known throughout the village for her wonderful baking and the cleanliness of her kitchen. She was often seen sweeping the area in front of her home. And many had heard her say that she was so busy baking and cleaning that she rarely had time to do anything else.

One winter day, while La Befana was sweeping in front of her home, three travelers stopped to ask her for a drink of water. They told La Befana that they were astrologers (they are often called the three wise men) who were following a star to the birth place of the Christ child. She kindly gave them water and then invited them to dinner.

After dinner the astrologers prepared to continue their journey and asked her if she would like to come with them to see the christ child. La Befana shook her head saying that she could not possibly take the time needed for such a journey. She was secretly itching to get back to her cleaning and cooking. She stood at her door and watched them leave.

La Befana went back to her sweeping. But hours later she began to feel that she had made a mistake. Maybe she should have gone with the 3 astrologers to see the christ child. La Befana decided to follow them.

She quickly grabbed a basket and filled it with baked goods of all kinds. She then put on her shawl and with her basket and broom hurried off into the night practically running to catch up with the wise men.

La Befana traveled through the night but never caught up with the wise men. It is said that she ran and ran until she and her broom were lifted up into the air!

Ever since that night La Befana is believed to fly through the night or run over the roofs in Italy on Epiphany eve. She stops at the home of every child, leaving them treats in their stockings if they are good and a lump of coal if they are bad. She hopes that one of the children she visits will be the christ child.

Copyright LLL, Storyteller/Storysinger.

The name Befana is said to be a mispronunciation of the Italian word epifania which stands for epiphany. La Befana still visits the children of Italy on the eve of January 6, Epiphany. She fills their stockings with candy or a lump of coal. It is also believed that she sweeps the floor before she leaves.
Many households leave her a small glass of wine and a small plate of goodies.

Buon Natale!!!

Last edited by autumngal; 12-24-2007 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: see dm

Old 12-21-2007, 04:21 PM

Smile The Christmas Spider

The Legend of the Christmas Spider

A European Legend retold by LLL, Storyteller

Long, long ago, I believe it was in Germany, a mother was finishing up the last of her Christmas cleaning. Tonight was Christmas Eve and her husband and children were bringing in the tree to be decorated. The children were excited knowing that Father Christmas was coming tonight and although they did not have much the mother took pride in her clean house and the beautiful handmade ornaments for the tree.The house was cleaned so thoroughly that not a speck of dust could be seen. And even the houses smallest residents, the spiders, had been driven to the darkest corner of the attic.

The family spent the evening singing , laughing and decorating the Christmas tree. The spiders in the attic could hear the celebration but had no idea what was happening. They spent the evening eaten up with curiousity.

Finally, when the house was quiet and everyone was settled in their beds, the spiders crept down the stairs. They were amazed to see a tree in the center of the room decorated so wonderously! The tree was huge and more than the spiders could take in at a glance. So, the spiders began to examine the tree closely. Swinging from branch to branch and from ornament to ornament, taking in every detail of the beautiful tree. Unfortunately, in examining the tree, the spiders had covered it with hundreds of strands of grey spider silk.

When Father Christmas arrived, he smiled at the spiders and their excitement. But he also realized that he had a problem. He could not possibly leave the tree as it was, covered with dull grey spider webs! The children had worked so hard on the tree and would be very disappointed to see it covered in webs. But he did not want to hurt the spiders feelings either. Then he had a marvelous idea! He touched his finger to the spider webs and with a little Christmas magic, all of the webs turned to shimmering strands of silver!

When the children awoke christmas morning, they ran to see what Father Christmas had left for them. They were delighted to see how beautiful their tree looked sparkling in the morning sun.

Since that time, it has become a tradition to hang tinsel on christmas trees.
And those who know the legend, hang a spider ornament on their tree to honor those first spiders.

Merry Christmas!!!

copyright by LLL, Storyteller/Storysinger

Merry Christmas!!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:02 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,379,511 times
Those are wonderful stories Goddess. Thank you for sharing them with us. Are these stories Wiccan based? I only ask because I have studied Wicca and I know that a lot of christian rituals are actually derived from pagan rituals and stories.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 AM

Northcountry, both of those stories come from Europe but it is very likely that they are based on pagan tales. You know how the church basically went with the flow. They could not stop pagan celebrations so they adapted them.

Glad you liked the stories!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing