Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2007, 04:42 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times

Advertisements

I really enjoyed reading that. Your work has a theme of loss and of finding ones self again - do you write from experience? I only ask because it seems like such cathartic poetry. It is extremely relatable. Great work, can't rep you - must spread the love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 04:45 PM

13,905 posts, read 3,377,560 times
Yes, everything I write is from my experiences. I have been on a long journey to finding myself and finding real love. All of my poems reflect that journey. I hope someday to have the manuscript published under the title "On The Way To Together". The story isn't finished yet.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:07 PM

I look forward to your book, and am glad yours is a happy ending. Our experiences may not always be good, but they always shape the way we think and act, and surprisingly, some good may come out of them.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:14 PM

You're right poconoproud. The single most important thing to come out of my loss and my move of 1300 miles and my struggle to begin again, is finding myself. One of the things that happens, to a woman especially, when you spend your life taking care of a family, is that you lose yourself. The hardest thing for me was to be alone with myself and discovering that I had no idea who I was. It has been a long hard and confusing journey and I am still not at the end of it, but I have learned to be comfortable with myself and to realize that I matter. This forum has been my salvation on more than one occasion. That's why I count so many people here as "friends".

Old 12-09-2007, 07:12 PM

Well, this new "friend" is looking forward to your next poem & thinking about what I will post next. And our other friends? Any more art-work or pictures of anyone's creative hobbies?

Old 12-10-2007, 07:36 AM

SOCK IT TO ME........An essay by PoconoProud

Who would think that something as simple and ordinary as socks would have such a profound impact on my life? But, inevitably, socks dominate many moments of my day.
For a long time, I couldn't understand why finding a matching pair for five people every morning was proving too difficult. Socks just seemed to mysteriously disappear through the washing process, so that I would have a huge pile of mate-less socks. Some i didn't even recognize, wondering, "When did I even buy a pair of socks like this?" I think my neighbor's socks must have snuck in when I wasn't looking.

In the winter, I expect to lose some socks. There have been many times we've been missing a glove (don't even get me started on gloves) and socks have made the perfect thumb-less mitten. I have never seen a child return with the makeshift mittens, and they were no where to be found once the snow melted.

I've recently discovered that my children are at the root of my argyle angst. A few weeks ago, after finishing laundry, I witnessed them unfold several pair of just cleaned socks, and begin layering them on one foot. It didn't matter who's socks they used, and in fact it seemed they preferred their Dad's. After about ten socks each, they stood up, and started hobbling around the room. You should have seen the looks on their faces when they turned and saw me, realizing they'd been caught using all the socks to pretend they were wearing a cast!

That's not the only way they get me on socks, by the way. I can count on finding sock donuts at least five times a week. What? You don't know what a sock donut is? Oh, you're missing out! First, they pull their socks up as far as they can stretch them, (causing the toe holes, no doubt) then they roll them all the way down to their toes. The dirty donuts are then tossed around the room - meant to gross one another out, or are rolled across the floor for the cats to attack. Without a doubt, one sock is hoplessly estranged from the other for the rest of eternity, because it's mate doesn't get found for several days, therefore becoming a part of a whole different wash cycle.

The madness is never ending, but I am resolved to accept it. It won't be too far down the road that it's no longer going to be my problem. The only socks I'll have to keep an eye out for are my husband's and my own, as my sock abusing little ones grow up to have sock abusers of their own. Then, they'll be the ones saying to me, "I just don't know where all the socks disappear to." I'll laugh, fondly remembering sock donuts and sock casts, and tell them how it's a sign that there is love and laughter in their home, and if they really pay attention - it's really no great mystery at all.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:29 PM

I can really relate. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, the sweatshirt and the hat!! lol. Thank goodness now I am at the stage where the only socks I have to keep track of are mine and guess what?? I haven't lost a single one!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:16 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Here are the Cottonwood Santas.......This bark came from Montana.
They are very tall 16" and more. These three fellows I can't part with
It really is fun to take a piece of bark and turn it into a Santa, or Woodspirit. The one has a little owl peaking out of a hole......
Everytime, I look at their faces........I have to tell my girls sorry, but...I'll make you another. Gosh, I have an attachment problem

Old 12-12-2007, 02:27 PM

Summering,
Do you sell your Santas here in the Pocono's anywhere? They are so unique!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
Summering,
Do you sell your Santas here in the Pocono's anywhere? They are so unique!
Pocono Proud..........I DM'd you about them..........thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing