Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:02 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,079,840 times

Advertisements

Not sure how "new" it is, which is why that's in quotation marks.

I have to admit that the first several times I saw the word "nonplussed," I had to look it up -- the definition just didn't "stick." Eventually it did.

Today a poster used the word in another thread, and of course I thought he meant "bewildered." It became pretty clear, though, that he meant the OPPOSITE. I did a quick search and saw that now "nonplussed" means not only "bewildered," but it can also mean "not bewildered" (at least according to some sources).

I know that language evolves, but it usually doesn't evolve in such a way that the OPPOSITE of what a word means (or has meant) is now an acceptable definition. Or does it? Can you think of other words that have evolved this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 02:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
The Flammable/Inflammable thing is similar.

Nimrod went from meaning a "skillful hunter" to "a slow-witted person."

Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I have to admit that the first several times I saw the word "nonplussed" I had to look it up
-- the definition just didn't "stick." Eventually it did.

I know that language evolves, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
And now we add to the confusion, because is recent years nonplussed has come to take
on an opposite meaning, particularly in American English: "unfazed," "unperturbed," or "unimpressed,"
rather than "disconcerted." Now, this is America, English is a most democratic language, and you have
every freedom to speak and write as you like. But if you are going to use nonplussed, you have an
obligation to make clear in context which of these opposite senses you intend.
Link

Old 06-28-2013, 03:05 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
Quote:
Not sure how "new" it is, which is why that's in quotation marks.

I have to admit that the first several times I saw the word "nonplussed," I had to look it up -- the definition just didn't "stick." Eventually it did.

Today a poster used the word in another thread, and of course I thought he meant "bewildered." It became pretty clear, though, that he meant the OPPOSITE. I did a quick search and saw that now "nonplussed" means not only "bewildered," but it can also mean "not bewildered" (at least according to some sources).

I know that language evolves, but it usually doesn't evolve in such a way that the OPPOSITE of what a word means (or has meant) is now an acceptable definition. Or does it? Can you think of other words that have evolved this way?
Are you thinking of contronyms?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,881,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Are you thinking of contronyms?
Contronyms (contranyms) are usually defined through context. I think the OP is referring to words that evolve into the opposite of what they originally meant.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Contronyms (contranyms) are usually defined through context. I think the OP is referring to words that evolve into the opposite of what they originally meant.
Yes, I was thinking contronyms, because I can come up with of a lot of those.

http://www.rinkworks.com/words/contronyms.shtml

Old 06-29-2013, 01:11 PM

I had never heard the word "contronyms." Thanks for teaching me something today!!

But yes, I was referring specifically to words that have "evolved" to mean the opposite of what they originally meant (and sometimes recently meant) because so many people used them incorrectly.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I had never heard the word "contronyms." Thanks for teaching me something today!!

But yes, I was referring specifically to words that have "evolved" to mean the opposite of what they originally meant (and sometimes recently meant) because so many people used them incorrectly.
How about moot. It went com meaning debatable, to irrelevant, through misuse.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
How about moot. It went [from] meaning debatable, to irrelevant, through misuse.
At long as they don't write "mute point" I am OK with that one.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
At long as they don't write "mute point" I am OK with that one.
However, the change in usage went from debatable, to not even debatable. That is a change to the opposite meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing