Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 06:42 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,048 times

Advertisements

Twice in the last week I've read articles that used "cuppa" in reference to coffee. My understanding has always been that cuppa refers to a "cup of tea". Has that changed?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 11:22 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Twice in the last week I've read articles that used "cuppa" in reference to coffee. My understanding has always been that cuppa refers to a "cup of tea". Has that changed?
That's what I always thought. My friend's Brit side of the family says "cuppa" for tea.

On this side of the pond, I have a niece who moved from NJ to MA about ten years ago. My sister went to visit her and came back laughing and said that my niece asked her, "Mom, should I put on a pawt?" My sister said, "Are you asking me if I want a cup of tea?"

Old 06-26-2016, 11:24 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
https://www.google.com/#q=define+cuppa

Old 06-26-2016, 04:27 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
A quick google search shows widespread use of 'cuppa coffee' by businesses in the United States, Canada, New Zealand and - particularly, it seems - Australia. There's a Canadian animation studio called Cuppa Coffee Studios, founded in 1992. And since it seems very likely that such commercial use followed colloquial use, the phrase appears to have been around awhile - as in, decades.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:15 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
A quick google search shows widespread use of 'cuppa coffee' by businesses in the United States, Canada, New Zealand and - particularly, it seems - Australia. There's a Canadian animation studio called Cuppa Coffee Studios, founded in 1992. And since it seems very likely that such commercial use followed colloquial use, the phrase appears to have been around awhile - as in, decades.
That's a little different, tho. In the examples you're citing, it's being used simply as a contraction for "cup of". I realize the origin is the same, but I'm talking about "cuppa" being used alone as a noun. Going through the search list provided by CSD, all of the major sources(Merriam-Webster, Collins, Cambridge, etc.) define it as referring strictly to tea.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,254,667 times
The first time I saw "cuppa" in print was in an American fan magazine in the caption under a photo of Ringo Starr holding a cup. Couldn't tell from the photo what the contents of the cup was, nor was it mentioned where the photo was taken.

Old 06-27-2016, 01:58 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
Cuppa is the phrase in itself. It means cup of tea. Cuppa coffee or cuppa soup are not equivalent to the term cuppa alone.

Cuppa meaning coffee is a misuse - though if enough people misuse it will become standard. Like "alot" probably will. Like "addicting" already has etc.

Old 06-27-2016, 02:03 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
For me, "cuppa" has always meant a cup of tea. A box of Builder's Tea advertises itself as "The thirst-quenching strong cuppa."

Old 06-28-2016, 05:28 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
That's a little different, tho. In the examples you're citing, it's being used simply as a contraction for "cup of". I realize the origin is the same, but I'm talking about "cuppa" being used alone as a noun. Going through the search list provided by CSD, all of the major sources(Merriam-Webster, Collins, Cambridge, etc.) define it as referring strictly to tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Cuppa is the phrase in itself. It means cup of tea. Cuppa coffee or cuppa soup are not equivalent to the term cuppa alone.
I understand that. However, 'cuppa' in reference to tea obviously derived from the longer phrase 'cuppa tea', which obviously derived from 'cup of tea'. Once the latter was also applied to coffee, and 'cuppa coffee' emerged - which was probably inevitable, given the similarity of the beverages and the fact that both are commonly consumed through the Anglosphere - the use of 'cuppa' as a standalone to refer to coffee as well was also just a matter of time.

Anyway, a coffee shop in Las Vegas:
Holley's Cuppa

Just 'Cuppa'. No 'Coffee' in the title, but that's their primary product. And they have a roast called 'Cuppa City Roast'. Again, no 'Coffee' in the name of the roast.

Also, a little googling shows 'cuppa' to have widespread use in Australia in reference to either tea or coffee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Cuppa meaning coffee is a misuse - though if enough people misuse it will become standard. Like "alot" probably will. Like "addicting" already has etc.
The idea that there are correct and incorrect usages for an informal colloquialism is silly. It's appropriate use is for that which it is commonly understood to refer, which is demonstrably for either tea or coffee.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:03 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,555,912 times
Quote:
I understand that. However, 'cuppa' in reference to tea obviously derived from the longer phrase 'cuppa tea', which obviously derived from 'cup of tea'. Once the latter was also applied to coffee, and 'cuppa coffee' emerged - which was probably inevitable, given the similarity of the beverages and the fact that both are commonly consumed through the Anglosphere - the use of 'cuppa' as a standalone to refer to coffee as well was also just a matter of time.

Anyway, a coffee shop in Las Vegas:
Holley's Cuppa

Just 'Cuppa'. No 'Coffee' in the title, but that's their primary product. And they have a roast called 'Cuppa City Roast'. Again, no 'Coffee' in the name of the roast.

Also, a little googling shows 'cuppa' to have widespread use in Australia in reference to either tea or coffee.

The idea that there are correct and incorrect usages for an informal colloquialism is silly. It's appropriate use is for that which it is commonly understood to refer, which is demonstrably for either tea or coffee.
Of course it isn't silly, at least no more silly than that any utterance can have a correct usage. Wanker, a colloquialism, means something. If you say "I have a wanker," you've got it all wrong. Its an incorrect usage. It can become a correct usage through widespread use, but its an incorrect usage at present.

I guess when one isn't that familiar with the language in actual fact, and instead forms conclusions based on google-knowledge, then one can come to such fatuous conclusions that colloquialisms (what's a formal colloquialism?!) can't have an incorrect usage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing