Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 04:27 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,098,587 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of having the third act of my story (a battle between the police and villains), happen like in a western, accept it's not a western a lot has changed in modern times. Basically in my story the cops are angry at the gang because the gang got away with murdering an officer, and the cops do not have enough proof, but at the same time, they want to put the gang out of commission.

Now the kind of ending I want would go like this, like in this clip from Open Range at 1:55 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcfNCH2_oA8

Now if you have that in modern times with the cops one side, approaching the gang from the other at a place they arranged to find the gang, would that work? Or do people have modern times have such a different mentality, that you cannot use a western influenced ending like that?

The reason why the cops go after the gang in this type of aggressive manor is because the gang is too smart for the police to catch by legal means. They keep covering their tracks and outsmarting them so after a couple murders of officers they get away with, a few cops band together and go kill them since that is the only way to put them out of commission. But what do I have to do, to get a few officers to loose that much hope and feel they have to throw their lives away, and go to jail in order for the preservation of justice? It's trickier to write in modern times.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 06:01 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,826,139 times
The basic themes of Westerns are recycled all the time. Most of them were pretty implausible (and largely fictional) at the time as well.

Old 07-08-2018, 02:47 PM

Yeah but I feel it's harder to win over with readers in modern times. In real life, whenever a cop is caught on video for example, walking up to some ALLEGED gangsters, who do not even have their guns out, and the cop pulls out his pistol and shoots them close range right in the head, when the gangsters aren't even doing anything, it's the cop who is considered to be the bad guy, and understandably so.

So how would a writer change that mindset in the reader when it comes to a modern day setting?

Old 07-08-2018, 07:08 PM

Well, it sounds like your cops have decided to be criminals to catch/stop worse criminals. I wouldn't sugar-coat it or try to paint it as noble. Justify the action; justify how difficult the decision is for the cops involved; don't go easy on the consequences.

Pretty much ignore the current public debate and dramas - they will only weigh your story down and pin it to very particular era.

Old 07-08-2018, 07:19 PM

Okay thanks. When you say don't go easy on the consequences though, I kind of have a sequel in mind, if the first one is successful, but still wanted to keep the option open. So therefore, the main cop can't go to jail for a sequel in mind, but he could be fired and become a private eye or something, but is such a consequence too light?

Old 07-08-2018, 10:16 PM

Maybe his partner just can't handle it.

Old 07-08-2018, 10:50 PM

Partner? What partner?

Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 AM

So your whole plot is carried off by one man?

Old 07-09-2018, 05:31 AM

No it's handled by a group, but I haven't decided how many yet. When you said maybe the partner can't handle it, I was wondering if there was a particular reason why he couldn't or something. The main character doesn't have a main partner throughout the story and it would just be a group.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:05 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,889,852 times
Cops going bad is a used and reasonable plot point. It makes sense that some could be so angered by a gang member getting away with killing one of their own that they go for vigilante justice. Not in the middle of town though like a classic western... more like they lure them out by the docks at night or whatever.

These days, there definitely will have to be consequences for the cops, though. I think it could work well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing