Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 06:51 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times

Advertisements

Use of an apostrophe forms a possessive, not a plural. Doing so seems to have been a trend the past few years. Why? Is it taught that way now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 01:13 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
I don't think it's taught.
The apostrophe is always problematic for kids. It's a visual device only that isn't reproduced in spoken speech, and it use is full of tricky irregularities.

So a lot of kids try to play it safe when learning how to write and use the apostrophe all the time. It becomes habitual.

Even if a person knows how to use it, the use is still often tricky.

Consider:
Boy's Club
Boys Club
Boys' Club

Each has a slightly different meaning, but the differences are so subtle it requires some conscious thought to detect them. In this instance, all 3 could serve for most people equally. The trailing apostrophe, coming after the letter S, is by far the trickiest. That's why it's so seldom seen nowadays.

Adding in our odd ways of spelling really complicates it as well. Really, why is "potatoes" correct and "potatos" not?

if more than one potato was peeled, doesn't "potatoes' peels" look strange? It does, to lots of people. That's why we tend to say "potato peels'. It removes the possessive and turns one word from single to multiple for both words.

Common sense says if you peel one spud, you are probably going to peel them all. if you are going to use one potato's peelings, you're likely to use them all.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:37 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I don't know, and Apostrophe Abuse has been discussed on other threads on here.

It is something that bugs me, too. This is taught way back in second or third grade, yet over the past five years or so there has been an explosion of misuse of apostrophes, particularly in their use in plurals. Although some people might honestly struggle with the use of the apostrophe, I attribute most of it to sheer laziness and the overall decline of reading.

I carry a Sharpie for when I encounter the opportunity to make a correction.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:34 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
It is a pretty basic rule. Not sure where the confusion comes in.

In some cases, though, I do think an apostrophe is needed. Like if I want to make plural a word like "Pepsi," I'll write "Pepsi's" just for clarification. Otherwise, "Pepsis" seems confusing, reminding me of "sepsis."

I believe that's an accepted "rule." Too lazy to look it up.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know, and Apostrophe Abuse has been discussed on other threads on here.

It is something that bugs me, too. This is taught way back in second or third grade, yet over the past five years or so there has been an explosion of misuse of apostrophes, particularly in their use in plurals. Although some people might honestly struggle with the use of the apostrophe, I attribute most of it to sheer laziness and the overall decline of reading.

I've noticed it's not only "kids" that do it, but people my age who certainly should know better. Sometimes it might be acceptable, as in the case of plural acronyms, but even then just use a lower-case s following the upper cases (or is it case's ...) of the acronym. There's a handbook of grammar somewhere in my collection of books but I can't remember the title or where it might be.

I hope your Sharpie has red ink ....

Old 08-07-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
It is a pretty basic rule. Not sure where the confusion comes in.

In some cases, though, I do think an apostrophe is needed. Like if I want to make plural a word like "Pepsi," I'll write "Pepsi's" just for clarification. Otherwise, "Pepsis" seems confusing, reminding me of "sepsis."

I believe that's an accepted "rule." Too lazy to look it up.
I'm not sure what the rule is in such situations, but at least it avoids confusion. There might be a better way though ... not sure.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:14 PM

438 posts, read 269,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
. . .

lol

I'm going to start doing this!

Old 08-08-2018, 09:31 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
They don't like it when we correct them but we don't like it when they do it. Why should we struggle with trying to understand what they are trying to say? If they're the ones who are wrong, then they're the ones who shouldn't mind being corrected. I think we're not supposed to correct people on the forum though. However, when we're off the forum, out comes the sharpie!

Old 08-09-2018, 05:24 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
My peeve is improper use of apostrophes with digits. An apostrophe indicates possessive or an omission.

Example: "I'm more experienced now than I was in my 20s."

Many would use "20's," yet there is no omission or possession.

I hope I won't get Strunked to death!

Old 08-09-2018, 05:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Here's a fresh one, just caught!

Quote:
Life is full of "no's". I feel empathy for people who struggle accepting it and moving on.
Gotta admit I'd find another way to handle it; I'd rephrase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing