Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 08:58 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,072,062 times

Advertisements

For my story, the main character, a cop has to find a way to catch the villain, but he needs to find out who the main villain is. There is a group of villains, and he wants to find out who the leader is. The police only knows who two of the members are and one of them was arrested, but then let go, on not enough evidence to prosecute.

So the main character decides that he is willing to break the law to find out who the leader is. He knows that the one suspected who was arrested and the let go, most likely did not pay for his own attorney and that someone else could have footed the bill while the suspect was in custody. So he decides to hack into the lawyer's computers to find out who was paying the bill, as the lawyer needs to have that person legally documented, or he can break into the office, and find it on paper or on computer that way.

So after he finds the name and info of the person who payed the lawyer, it turns out to be the gang leader.

However, I find this kind of underwhelming and it doesn't seem like as much of an aha moment, where he would put all these clues together and then figure something out. The detective/cop heroes in fiction, often have aha moments and this movie scene came to mind here. He has his moment at 3:30 into the clip about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcPemp1-t-Y&t=442s

However, for my villain, he seems to have not left any clues behind at the crime scene, that the more forensic psychologists would have not have picked on before. So I can't think of anything that the hero would pick up on that everyone else would have missed. In the clip, the hero picks up on a padlock as being the clue that he puts all the other pieces together.

But for mine, I can't really think of a clue that brings everything together, at least not that doesn't make the hero seem too psychic.

So since I can't find a clue that he would pick up on, that everyone else could miss, I came up with the illegally obtaining of privileged information from the lawyer, cause only he would do that with his personal grudge, compared to the other police.

But what do you think? Perhaps that idea is good too, and I am over-analyzing the need for a good aha moment? Another thing is, why would the main character bother to challenge himself, with trying to lock a bunch of clues together, when he can just get a hacker, and choose to take a short cut?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 03:04 PM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Iron pony, I have a suggestion, and it is meant with all kindness:

You want a script to video, because video is your love. Writing is not your talent. You can't figure out motive, you can't figure out how to get your characters from point A to point B in the story. You dont know anything about firensics. You don't even know if your characters should be male or female.

Get someone else to write the script. There are thousands of writers out there who can't get a script published that would think they had died and gone to heaven to see one of their scripts made into a film.

You can get the use of a good script for nothing but film credit.

Seriously, it happens. One of my plays was put on stage and it was one of the biggest thrills of my life when the play got a standing ovation with the audience clapping and stomping their feet and roaring their approval. I know the audience reaction was for the actors and not the playwrite, but I was still glowing. It's huge for a writer to get their writing used and appreciated and it is not easy to make that happen.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:05 PM

Okay thank, but how am I suppose to get someone else to write it, if I don't even know what I want? Wouldn't another writer not know what a story is about if I don't have some sort of outline for him at least to get from here to there, in the plot?

Old 09-01-2018, 04:18 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thank, but how am I suppose to get someone else to write it, if I don't even know what I want? Wouldn't another writer not know what a story is about if I don't have some sort of outline for him at least to get from here to there, in the plot?
Ask for submissions. Read them. Ideas will come from them.

Don't think about finding another person to write your story. Think of filming a story they wrote. A completely different story that leaps off the page into your head. Yours isn't leaping, so go find one that does.

If you get enough submissions and get lucky, you might find a story with some similarities of your own in it, but don't go looking for it.

You can limit your submissions to a type- if you want a suspense/crime story, say so in the submission request. This will eliminate the comedies, romances, sci-fit and fantasy scripts you would get.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:17 PM

Oh okay. I've considered that before, this other writer wants his script directed and produced and I thought about doing it as well. I was probably going to do it later on, after this one.

A lot of writers want to sell the scripts though, and that is where me buying them would cost more money though, compared to writing my own.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:20 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Oh okay. I've considered that before, this other writer wants his script directed and produced and I thought about doing it as well. I was probably going to do it later on, after this one.

A lot of writers want to sell the scripts though, and that is where me buying them would cost more money though, compared to writing my own.
Deals an always be made. There's a scriptwriter out there who wants to sell a script as much as you want to make a movie. You two have a lot in common. Think about ways to make the commonality happen. It doesn't always require up-front money.

Old 09-01-2018, 10:06 PM

Well I could probably direct it for free or very low cost, as me might supply a lot of the production. I think he wants to co-direct. But I also want to direct and produce my script as well and spend money on that as well. Perhaps I could do both. Or I could look for another script that is very cheap and produce and direct that one.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:48 PM

32,654 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
How are you going to write it if you don't even know what you want?

You film someone else's story. They write, you film. They come up with the story and the characters, you interpret.

If a writer wants to sell a script and can never get anyone to look at his work, he needs some sort of film credit. You film his work so he can show what he has done something and to show agents that his work is worth looking at because someone has already thought it was good enough to film. I am assuming that your film goes onto youtube when it is finished, or some other showcase where people can see it.

Some suggestions, because I know you will be on a tight budget. You are looking for a script with a small cast and limited, easy to find, locations. Stay away from costume drama to keep the costume budget small. Car chases are really really really expensive, so avoid those. You need a strong story that can carry itself without special effects.

Old 09-01-2018, 11:51 PM

Oh yeah for sure. Most people's scripts right now, have something in them that may be a bit pricey for me but I can keep looking. I have read a few others, just haven't found one that pops yet.

As for my script, I almost done the whole thing, there are just two sections of the plot left I am stuck on, but almost done otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing