Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:50 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKSON OPANGA View Post
When writing a novel,It's good that a hero/protagonist who at one point was inhuman to end in trouble.
Apart from being jailed and committing suicide,Which other form of "punishment" can I give my protagonist?
S/he's cursed to spend more than a month indoors, with few outdoor trips due a pandemic. Nothing to do but read dull, insipid novels with weak characterization. But plenty of bodice-ripping, thankfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 08:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
If you're wanting to develop a character or give insight into how they "tick." Most of their struggles are internal, between their ears.

Also, make it a good habit to write well. I would recommend Dreyer's English: An Utterly Correct Guide to Clarity and Style. Also, the Chicago Style Manual is a good reference. This is based on the American version of English. Whenever you write work on Clarity and Style.

An example of passive voice: "The savannah is roamed by beautiful giraffes."

An example of active voice: "Beautiful giraffes roam the Savannah."

Example of passive-aggressive voice: "I like how you feel the need to write a novel."

I am the first to admit my style, clarity, and grammar are not the best or even close to good.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:35 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
I'm a bit confused, Jackson.

By "inhuman", do you mean your protagonist is a human being but does monstrous things?
Or is he an alien from another galaxy?

Old 04-27-2020, 01:52 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
It's your story. You should be able to figure out what sort of trouble your protagonist gets into and not have to ask others, which is basically asking others to write your story for you.

Use your own ideas.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:51 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
All right then, Let's look at the problems Gerania saw with your first post.

When writing a novel,It's good that a hero/protagonist who at one point was inhuman to end in trouble.
Apart from being jailed and committing suicide,Which other form of "punishment" can I give my protagonist?

Remember that this is a writing forum. You should proofread your posts, polish them a bit, and try to express clearly what you are asking.

Look at the first sentence. There is no space after the comma after novel, and It's should be it's. What do you mean by "good"? Instead of that ... to end in trouble, use for: for a hero to end up in trouble. There should be a space after the comma after suicide, and Which should be which. There is no need to put punishment in quotation marks. While you are planning your story you also need to work on the mechanics of your writing. My advice there is to read, read, read! Then write, write, write and get someone to criticize what you have written.

Therefore:

When you are writing a novel, a good option is for a protagonist who at one point was inhuman to end up in trouble. Apart from having him be jailed and committing suicide, what other ways may I punish him?

Is someone who "at one point was inhuman" really a "hero/protagonist"? Is he a "good guy" or a "bad guy"? If he is a bad guy, at some point in the story does he redeem himself? After that redemption do you want him to suffer in some way? Why do you feel that you need to punish him?
I agree with this. I don't mean to sound unkind or insulting to the OP, but he (she?) must realize that a novel is a written form of expression. The words, the sentence structure, the grammar -- all of it needs to make sense and be comprehensible to the reader. I think I understand the OP to be asking for ideas on different forms of punishment that the protagonist could suffer. But I had to waste mental concentration on figuring that out. And if I have to do that, my ability and my desire to lose myself in the story is diminished.

As for the OP's question (if I understand it correctly), the protagonist could be punished and made to suffer in any number of ways. What is most important to him? Fame? Power? Money? Relationships? Whatever it is, make him gain it (so that he'll know how it feels to have it), and then lose it. Make sure he loses it not by random fate, but as a direct result of what he did, or didn't do. You can either give him the opportunity to get it back (if you want to allow him a chance at redemption) or make it clear that he has lost it forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing