Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 09:34 AM

9 posts, read 6,338 times

Advertisements

When writing a novel,It's good that a hero/protagonist who at one point was inhuman to end in trouble.
Apart from being jailed and committing suicide,Which other form of "punishment" can I give my protagonist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 02:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
He could be so evil that all friends and family desert and leave him. Unless he is a psychopath, being utterly alone, feeling the disgust of anyone who has ever known him, has got to be the worst. The absolute worst, it would seem to me to be being alone and fearful in the hours before being executed.

But if someone is a psychopath I doubt if being hated by everyone would be so bad.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:27 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKSON OPANGA View Post
When writing a novel,It's good that a hero/protagonist who at one point was inhuman to end in trouble.
Apart from being jailed and committing suicide,Which other form of "punishment" can I give my protagonist?
Start by cleaning up this post. I know that that sounds pi@@y, but I don't know how you can expect to be taken seriously with that mess.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:15 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Start by cleaning up this post. I know that that sounds pi@@y, but I don't know how you can expect to be taken seriously with that mess.
It may be that English is his second language, and he is only 19.

Perhaps lighten up a little?

He is here for help.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:20 AM

I speak British English

Old 04-21-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
I speak British English
Is it your main or first language, though? It would help us to help you if we knew.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:28 AM

It's my First language.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:20 AM

Quote:
It's my First language.

All right then, Let's look at the problems Gerania saw with your first post.

Remember that this is a writing forum. You should proofread your posts, polish them a bit, and try to express clearly what you are asking.

Look at the first sentence. There is no space after the comma after novel, and It's should be it's. What do you mean by "good"? Instead of that ... to end in trouble, use for: for a hero to end up in trouble. There should be a space after the comma after suicide, and Which should be which. There is no need to put punishment in quotation marks. While you are planning your story you also need to work on the mechanics of your writing. My advice there is to read, read, read! Then write, write, write and get someone to criticize what you have written.

Therefore:

When you are writing a novel, a good option is for a protagonist who at one point was inhuman to end up in trouble. Apart from having him be jailed and committing suicide, what other ways may I punish him?

Is someone who "at one point was inhuman" really a "hero/protagonist"? Is he a "good guy" or a "bad guy"? If he is a bad guy, at some point in the story does he redeem himself? After that redemption do you want him to suffer in some way? Why do you feel that you need to punish him?

Old 04-21-2020, 08:16 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
He/she could be financially ruined. Or he/she could realized they'd lost Rosebud. Or be demoted somehow. Loss of face.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:26 AM

23,869 posts, read 33,575,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
All right then, Let's look at the problems Gerania saw with your first post.

Remember that this is a writing forum. You should proofread your posts, polish them a bit, and try to express clearly what you are asking.

Look at the first sentence. There is no space after the comma after novel, and It's should be it's. What do you mean by "good"? Instead of that ... to end in trouble, use for: for a hero to end up in trouble. There should be a space after the comma after suicide, and Which should be which. There is no need to put punishment in quotation marks. While you are planning your story you also need to work on the mechanics of your writing. My advice there is to read, read, read! Then write, write, write and get someone to criticize what you have written.

Therefore:

When you are writing a novel, a good option is for a protagonist who at one point was inhuman to end up in trouble. Apart from having him be jailed and committing suicide, what other ways may I punish him?

Is someone who "at one point was inhuman" really a "hero/protagonist"? Is he a "good guy" or a "bad guy"? If he is a bad guy, at some point in the story does he redeem himself? After that redemption do you want him to suffer in some way? Why do you feel that you need to punish him?
Agree with everything you said. The OP doesn't give enough information to offer an opinion or help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing