Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 05:11 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,273,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You must love Monty Python's Parrot Sketch.
We really did. .

Old 10-20-2021, 05:20 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Wikipedia says a hobo is a migrant worker, a tramp travels but avoids work, and a bum neither travels nor works.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo

We get snowbird panhandlers here in Arizona; nearly every street corner is now occupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 08:05 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
A bum by any other name would smell as bad.

Apologies to Shakespeare.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:09 PM

830 posts, read 1,539,673 times
I read most of the comments, but not all.

I had not until now heard the term “unhoused,” but I did recently note the use of “people experiencing homelessless,” as an earlier poster said. (I am in New England.)

I don’t know about the term “unhoused,” but I do not believe that the experession “people experiencing homelessness” has anything to do with properly (or “technically”) categorizing people for census purposes, as some have suggested.

It really is all about reframing the public’s view of homeless people, like they’re just like us but just having a difference experience… it’s part of their experience but doesn’t define them.

So “unhoused” or “people experiencing homelessness” are not used in an attempt to differentiate between types of people without permanent addresses. They’re used to label all the same people who have always been called homeless, and it’s just politically correct speech as so many have pointed out.

Old 10-21-2021, 07:49 AM

899 posts, read 672,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
I read most of the comments, but not all.

<snip>

It really is all about reframing the public’s view of homeless people, like they’re just like us but just having a difference experience… it’s part of their experience but doesn’t define them.

So “unhoused” or “people experiencing homelessness” are not used in an attempt to differentiate between types of people without permanent addresses. They’re used to label all the same people who have always been called homeless, and it’s just politically correct speech as so many have pointed out.
I too have skipped some comments.

Like anything else, there are subgroups within a group and we can overgeneralize if we're not careful.

Historically, gypsies have led what might be called a "houseless" lifestyle, traveling from place to place. As I understand it the Europeans hold stronger views about them than Americans. Whether the attitudes toward them are fair or not is debatable, but according to this article, 83% of Italians hold negative views toward the Romani.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Romany_sentiment

Next there is a group of people who panhandle, collecting money for alcohol or the next fix. Sometimes they were mentally ill, fell into homelessness and later started drugs. Or maybe they were doing drugs, ended up on the street, and became mentally ill.

https://medium.com/brainy-matters/me...s-58e0e31f6e29

My wife and I visited San Jose CA a few summers ago---talk about tent city! And if you look at the sidewalk, you often see those connectors they attach to your torso when they do EKGs. We concluded that homeless people had a medical emergency, EMTs came out and checked their hearts, and then the homeless folks refused to go to the hospital.

There are lots of reasons, I guess. Some won't leave the community of homeless folks---those are friends. And shelters can be dangerous places. Or maybe there's a drug test required. It reminds me of how hard it is for some people to rejoin society after being in prison. Remember in Shawshank Redemption how Morgan Freeman's character felt he needed permission to pee? I'm sure many go back to jail because they have friends there, they understand the rules there, and so on.

Some food for thought:
https://metropolitics.org/Understand...mmodation.html

https://www.npr.org/2012/12/06/16666...-over-shelters

But ok, in these tough economic times there are new people among the homeless. The people described in the book "Nomadland" (and the film made from it) often are collecting social security, but it just isn't enough to survive. Therefore they get a vehicle (van, camper, sedan, whatever they can afford) and hit the road. When amazon has its Christmas rush, they're working at amazon. No benefits or anything, because they're seasonal. Amazon warehouses have dispensers with OTC pain meds all over the warehouse it seems---and they love this workforce because they don't complain, don't file claims, get the work done, etc. I'm still surprised amazon allowed their logo etc. in the movie because to some people it looks like exploitation.

And these campers head to Idaho for sugar beet harvest. A conveyer brings them and workers bag them.
As I recall the book describes the work as similar to catching frozen bowling balls with a sack. When that finishes, they go somewhere else. There's actually a circuit they follow to supplement their social security.

So here's a group that is too proud to ask for help. They say they aren't homeless---they're houseless. They can sleep in their vehicles and make do. Why chain yourself to a 30 year mortgage? If there's a death or an illness or an economic downturn, you could lose it all.

My wife and I wanted to buy a fifth wheel, a truck to pull it, and sightsee as part of our retirement. Spend a few weeks in New York state, then move on to Pennsylvania or whatever...for six months at a time. My plan involved not having a house while we do this. Why?

1) You have to pay taxes on a house even if you aren't living there.
2) In colder climates you have to heat it so pipes don't burst.
3) Insurance companies sometimes won't insure vacant houses because
4) Vandals or thieves or squatters could break in
5) So pay someone to mow the lawn to make it look like you're home
6) Why tie up your money in something you're not using?

Etc. But as I understand it, we'd still need to have a "domicile." I mean, which state would issue our driver's licenses? How would we get mail? How would voting work? Jury duty? The six months at a time refers to coming back for medical appointments, reconnecting with friends here, etc.

So would we be homeless, in this scenario?

Old 10-21-2021, 02:30 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,406,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTXwhatnext View Post
Etc. But as I understand it, we'd still need to have a "domicile." I mean, which state would issue our driver's licenses? How would we get mail? How would voting work? Jury duty? The six months at a time refers to coming back for medical appointments, reconnecting with friends here, etc.

So would we be homeless, in this scenario?
I looked into the domicile situation when we were considering a roving lifestyle--we actually were houseless for nearly a year, staying at hotels, airBnBs, and friends' homes.

Domicile is generally determined by looking at where you get your mail, where your vehicle is registered, where you are registered to vote, the location of your bank, and other pinpoints.

Who cares about this? States want to know so they can collect taxes. Counties want you for jury duty.

Last edited by steiconi; 10-21-2021 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-21-2021, 06:27 PM

899 posts, read 672,681 times
I've heard South Dakota is popular as domicile. Here's an interesting read about that.

https://gnomadhome.com/becoming-south-dakota-residents/

Last edited by ILTXwhatnext; 10-21-2021 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: reply partly concerned different thread...oops

Old 11-04-2021, 09:21 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,048,799 times
Because we love our euphemisms.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:26 PM

1,400 posts, read 767,879 times
Oh please, don't get me started. I was at the grocery store the other day and they were collecting money not for the poor and hungry, but for those who are FOOD INSECURE.

Old 12-06-2021, 09:46 PM

1,438 posts, read 735,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I looked into the domicile situation when we were considering a roving lifestyle--we actually were houseless for nearly a year, staying at hotels, airBnBs, and friends' homes.

Domicile is generally determined by looking at where you get your mail, where your vehicle is registered, where you are registered to vote, the location of your bank, and other pinpoints.

Who cares about this? States want to know so they can collect taxes. Counties want you for jury duty.
^This^ the bolded part is the reason why many jurisdictions are passing laws left and right to make it harder to be a nomad, when most nomads were burnt out hippies, young people on an adventure and retired people in RV's that look like "Jimmy Buffets" tour bus it was viewed as a minor blip, but now you have a growing number of remote workers with middleclass incomes living in decked out vans and camper trailers realizing they have much more money in their pockets when not tied to a house or apartment and once the numbers grow to the point where everyone knows at least one "digital nomad" in their family or friend circle there will be an explosion it started to happen before in the 30's that's one of the contributing factors in the creation of the FHA loan as you had whole communities of people living in vans and box trucks and teardrop vans. it was of great concern in many parts of the country as it was hard to get taxes, jury's and send draft cards to people without a physical address.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing