Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 03:43 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times

Advertisements

I have heard unhoused used recently instead of homeless, and thought it was strange. (I about it about it again after seeing a Trevor Noah piece on the Daily Show the other night). Is the term unhoused supposed to impart some sort of dignity to those living in tents under an overpass or something like that? I'm curious when this term for the homeless came into use and why it did. Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2021, 03:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I have heard unhoused used recently instead of homeless, and thought it was strange. (I about it about it again after seeing a Trevor Noah piece on the Daily Show the other night). Is the term unhoused supposed to impart some sort of dignity to those living in tents under an overpass or something like that? I'm curious when this term for the homeless came into use and why it did. Anybody know?
Probably for the same reason the government does not want us to use the term "illegal aliens" but instead "undocumented immigrants".

Old 10-15-2021, 04:20 PM

899 posts, read 671,559 times
In the book and film "Nomadland," they use it to denote that you don't have to live in a house/apt/trailer...you can live in a car/van/etc.

https://www.thn.org/2021/03/05/on-nomadland/

Old 10-16-2021, 12:23 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Probably for the same reason we now see "enslaved person" instead of labeling "slave". More politically correct.

I wondered the same thing when I saw the term "unchurched", lol. Who thought of that?

Nouns becoming adjectives?

Old 10-16-2021, 01:42 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,930,229 times
Here in L.A., it's "people experiencing homelessness". In other words, "they're just like you and me, they just sleep on the street".

Old 10-16-2021, 01:44 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,599,484 times
“Transient” was another term we were “taught” to use in a professional setting.

Yes - to make sure homeless feelings are not hurt.

Old 10-16-2021, 04:51 PM

930 posts, read 333,845 times
San Jose, CA recently started referring to homeless encampments as "humanitarian zones."
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...mpment-sweeps/

Quote:
Leaders in San Jose are discussing a new plan to end homeless sweeps. Instead of constantly putting unhoused people on the move, some camps would be reclassified as so-called “humanitarian zones”

Old 10-16-2021, 05:02 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
I don't think someone should be criticized for using the word "homeless" instead of "unhoused." They seem fairly equal to me, but I am open for an explanation.

Generally speaking, if people are able to be a little more courteous in their choice of words and communicate the same messages, I see no harm in doing that.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:26 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You'll be behind the curve once more if you don't giddyap with 'shelter-challenged'!

Old 10-16-2021, 08:05 PM

1,438 posts, read 734,268 times
Because these days not all "homeless" people are lazy bums, crazy people and drug addicts, but that's the first thing most people think when they hear the word homeless.

it's like the difference between a "used car lot" and a "pre-owned dealership" or a "trailer park" vs "mobile Home community"

Technically a remote worker who makes 40K a year who chooses to live in a decked out van(nicer than many efficiency apartments) is homeless even though he has more disposable income than people making much more than him(or her) because he/she freed up $800-$2,000 a month of their income. as vehicle maintenance is an expense you have whether you live in your vehicle or not and making your van livable is a one time expense while rent is forever and a mortgage is 30 years.

Almost a year ago I bought a used camper trailer that I have gotten livable(small kitchen stove and fridge, slide out office setup, flat screen monitor, bolted in gaming system fold out bed, generator, solar panels all stuff I already had, built myself or others have thrown away) just incase my property taxes get to a point where I can't afford them(they have more than doubled in the last 3 years do to the gentrification of my neighborhood), I can sell my house put the money in the bank and live in my trailer. I would technically then be homeless but living better than most who live in an apartment with more spending money in my pocket than I have now, so I would not be what people think of when they hear the word "homeless".

Digital nomads are a fast growing population as people are realizing how much of their income goes into holding on to traditional housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing