Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:09 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawk04 View Post
I should open a restaurant in Sherdian...this could be my way out !!
There are a good number of restaurants in Sheridan and most of them are excellent to outstanding. The problem is that they all kind of specialize and the old steak and potato places have just went away.

I'd like to think I bar-b-q a mean steak, least wise I've never had any complaints. But then again when folks come out here fishing and drink a few beers and eat a free steak, who's going to complain?

That's another thing about Sheridan that kind of gone by the wayside is a good meat cutter or butcher. Yes, we have a few around and they do a pretty good job. But we used to have a bunch of them. The best place to get beef cut up the way you want and a a good tasty cut of beef, isn't even a store or shop, the person works out of her home and delivers. We've bought some whole prime rib and cooked them up and they were outstanding. At the moment I can't remember the name of the woman who does it. I'll find out tomorrow or the next day and post it here. For the locals, do you remember Beno's? It's the woman that had that. She sold out but still does delivery type stuff.

So if you were going to open up a restaurant that served a good steak and you didn't call it a Bystro or coffee house, You'd probably do pretty good.

At times, the Elks or Eagles have good feed's, but they are planned events, not every night. But they are open to the public. The Eagles out in the industrial park serves and outstanding lunch that is reasonably priced. I like stopping there if I'm in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 05:38 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,785,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Jas View Post
There is a new chef at the Sheridan Inn. Could that have made a difference? I eat there every Friday at Rotary and he does a fine roast beast.
I heard they have a new chef. That's probably the reason for the improvement from, say a year ago.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:41 AM

You know, the one thing that Sheridan needs and has failed at in the past is a good do-nut shop. We've had several start up and close their doors a year later.

So, if you are going to start a restaurant, serve do-nuts in the morning and steaks in the evening.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM

322 posts, read 587,808 times
Wayne Gable is planning to open a fancy pastry shop on the east side of the 100 block of North Main Street in Sheridan. His wife recently opened a shop at the same address [It's a white storefront]. Wayne is the guy who started Java Moon & later sold it.

He is bringing in his attorney daughter from the left coast [LA] to run it. If you don't like the donuts I'd keep it to myself.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:04 PM

97 posts, read 183,713 times
Although they are still cooking his menu, the new chef at the 1893 has been gone for a few months. He is/was a fantastic chef but left due to the uncertainty (or maybe he WAS certain if you have read the paper lately) of the future of the place as well as what he felt to be mis-managment. I know more about the whole thing but I don't really want to bash on anyone (in public at least).

He was actually my brother in law.

Also, I ate at the Rib and Chop last night. Much better than when I went last year. I don't eat out much...

Old 04-17-2012, 07:04 AM

692 posts, read 1,707,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Jas View Post
Wayne Gable is planning to open a fancy pastry shop on the east side of the 100 block of North Main Street in Sheridan. His wife recently opened a shop at the same address [It's a white storefront]. Wayne is the guy who started Java Moon & later sold it.

He is bringing in his attorney daughter from the left coast [LA] to run it. If you don't like the donuts I'd keep it to myself.
This is my brother in law, sister, and niece. He is also planning in having a b.b.q grill. Should be open this month baring complications from the city. eems they are not really condusive to business.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:47 AM

Sounds good to me. Do you know what the place is going to be called?

I agree that the city "seems" (I don't follow it THAT closely) to have problems with new/small business starting up. You would think with the way that things are going they would be overjoyed at the prospect of new jobs (for young people especially) coming to town. Even if it is just a few.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danweasel View Post

I agree that the city "seems" (I don't follow it THAT closely) to have problems with new/small business starting up. You would think with the way that things are going they would be overjoyed at the prospect of new jobs (for young people especially) coming to town. Even if it is just a few.
Kind of off topic, but in response to your thoughts on growth in Sheridan. Sheridan never has been very friendly for growth. Remember when Home Depot wanted to move into town and Sheridan wanted them to pain the building Green instead of the standard Orange? Home Depot set their foot down and said, "We'll pull out if that is your requirement". The City finally gave in.

In 1992, I started a Post Frame Steel Building Business. Pole Barns. I had standard prints drawn up and engineered by a local architect on exactly what buildings I would build. No electrical, no floor, no plumbing. Strictly the building. I had to take the same test, pay the same fees, jump through the same hoops as somebody that contracts to build the next hospital. They could issue a "Limited License" if they wanted. But, they don't.

Anybody remember when Budweiser wanted to put in a bottleing plant here? City said no way. Said that there wasn't enough water to support manufacturing. However, they run some major pipes South of Town about the same time that Powder Horn was building. Coincidence? Could be. There are subdivisions being built West of town. Anybody see the major water lines layed out about 300yards North of 5th street? But they wouldn't authorize a water line to a Budweiser plant.

Sooner or later, the planners and shakers are going to wake up and realize that all of these folks moving in, need a job.

Remember, the greates export of goods in Sheridan County, is our youth.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 AM

I agree. Regardless of the opinion that "there is nothing to do in Sheridan" even if there was everything a teen/young adult could ever want they still won't stay without a job. Your story sounds very familiar. Almost like nothing has changed in the last 20 years...

Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM

692 posts, read 1,707,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danweasel View Post

Red Velvet Bakery and Tapas is the current thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming