Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:09 PM

9 posts, read 13,225 times

Advertisements

I see what you are referring to Rescue 3 -- I am begining to see the spec and other homes come on the market.

On 6/29/2016
MLS has 770 listings; 17 forclosures (12 in Sheridan area)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 11:37 PM

On 7/11/2016
MLS had 776 listings; 17 foreclosures (12 in Sheridan area)

Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,700,609 times
Yes - and there is a brand new subdivision getting built on Big Horn Ave just southeast of the airport. Just started scraping dirt a week ago. Huge neighborhood.

I chatted with someone in the real estate business lately. He said the primary source of people moving to the area is retirees (guilty as charged, your honor). The rest of the buyers are either young people moving up from a $150,000 house to a $300,000 house or older people downsizing from an expansive rural or high dollar place to a smaller home closer to town.

Inbound dollars: $170 million "North Main" road project starts in earnest in October. VacuTech moved up here from Denver and their business is booming.

Outbound dollars: BNSF closed Sheridan Station - 200 jobs gone. Everyone I know in the energy support business (lawyers, engineers, map makers and the like) has already been laid off, down-sized to part time or is awaiting the next round of layoffs. The state has decreased revenues distributed to counties for schools and major projects by enormous percentages.

The coming election will foretell the future; if the democrats retain the executive branch in Washington, the inbound dollars will decrease even further. If the republicans get into the executive branch and energy recovers, we'll do a little bit better. Locally, we'll get a new mayor and we'll have to wait to see what he does to attract new businesses. Meanwhile, we'll all go on trading the same dollar amongst ourselves - with the added revenue that retirees bring.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:07 PM

Default Interesting

Interesting information you have about where the support for the real estate prices is coming from.

Too bad about losing the RR jobs. Although the Main work will help, don't those jobs usually last about two years? Or will it be longer? I read in a Montana paper that Cloud Peak's coal production is down, but don't know if that was Spring Creek Mine or some other mine.

Given the young working families and the down-sizing retired population, I can see why larger homes are on the market for a long time.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:43 AM

Any changes to the Sheridan housing market?

Old 08-17-2016, 03:25 AM

83 posts, read 95,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
- with the added revenue that retirees bring.
Well it's not insignificant. Just in simple terms retirees that bring 5k per month in income over 30 years equals 1.8 million per each/set. 25,000 of these retiree sets parses out at 45 billion into economy over 30 years. Plus medical insurance / medicare contributions into health. A massive portion of both end(s) up in the local economy.

I think retirees bring quite a lot to the table. Most of the goal is to relax and enjoy themselves and have zero interest in changing anything - well I speak for myself anyway. It's a bit of a gold mine. I can't speak to what I don't know - of which there is a-plenty - however last week in Cody reinforced my observations - spotless town, good services, friendly people. It was nice to leave Pat O'Hara's after a quick lunch and have someone come out after us to thank us for coming in, seeing well behaved kids in the town and no traffic. Some of it is a little sterile but overall and aside from winter - it is inviting.

And for the gun crowd, anti or pro, We just spent 4 full days in Cody and not once, outside the older gentleman police officer at the airport, did we see anyone with a sidearm, not that it bothers me in the least. Yet I digress.

Point is retiree cash is great. If your town(s) can attract settling and spending from folks that are used to making 15k a month just to survive modestly in the city as a family unit, and they find they can retire on 5k a month with a paid off house - it's a win-win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming