Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:27 AM

50 posts, read 169,325 times

Advertisements

While I was in 'small town', UT, the locals said two of the big chain hotels were being built in this little town strictly for workers because of the boom. I also, on that same trip, came across a real modern day ghost town. Looked like everyone just picked up and left one day. It was eerie and I can see both sides to this dilemma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 10:33 AM

7 posts, read 22,145 times
Affordable housing doesn't mean gov't funded or tax payer funder - personally, we have never built homes using those means. Affordable housing can mean quality built housing for the average person who desires a nice home.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:58 AM

13 posts, read 53,513 times
We also are moving from Michigan and work in construction. The problem we see out there is that the house that would sell for 180,000 with a basement here is selling for 250,000 to 350,000 there. The cost of labor is higher then here and they charge way more to build and for the land. Basements cost twice as much to have due to the prep work and materials needed.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:06 PM

43 posts, read 147,045 times
DLD & Jessame, I'm all for the idea of a builder creating housing at any given price point he wishes. If there is a market for less expensive housing, then a smart builder will see that void and fill it. Everybody wins.
What I disagree with is the quotas and percentages and other "features" that seem to occur around these projects. i.e. x% of permits issued must be for projects under $x retail value. Income limits on buyers, restrictions on selling for x years, etc. etc.
Hopefully this clarifies my position.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
DLD & Jessame, I'm all for the idea of a builder creating housing at any given price point he wishes. If there is a market for less expensive housing, then a smart builder will see that void and fill it. Everybody wins.
What I disagree with is the quotas and percentages and other "features" that seem to occur around these projects. i.e. x% of permits issued must be for projects under $x retail value. Income limits on buyers, restrictions on selling for x years, etc. etc.
That's the very thing my husband and I are having a problem with. I work for a medical office out of Salt Lake, but I can do my job from home and they'll keep me as an employee when we move to Wyoming. With both of our incomes we make too much for half the housing!!! I don't get it - because we can afford rent, we can't find a place to rent. The same goes for buying, because you can afford to buy a house, you can't find a house to buy?! (We looked a little into buying because we can't find a place to rent. We're still looking into it actually.)

I talked to my dad for awhile today, he's a realtor here in Utah. He's been watching my husband and I struggle to find a place to live and is considering finding a couple of investors and building a fourplex or some condo's in Evanston and having my husband and I run it. (I worked in real estate for a couple years for investors so I kinda know how rentals work.)

Old 03-18-2008, 10:06 AM

144 posts, read 628,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I'm with you 100% Jared, There's a huge difference between a private company that satisfies a need for housing, and government programs that seek to social engineer in the name of affordable housing. A friend of mine once tried to buy an "affordable" house that had a very attractive, government subsidized interest rate. Unfortunately, when he applied for the program he was told that he made too much money and didn't qualify.

Undeterred, he applied for a conventional loan, but that was turned down as well-- he didn't make ENOUGH money!!

Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 PM

59 posts, read 226,365 times
I have been building in Gillette for a year now and there is definately a need for "affordable housing" but the catch 22 around here is affordable built here is way more than many other locations. People come here after leaving a 1500 square foot house on 40 acres they sold for 125,000 and here you can't get the same for under 300.000. The labor force here is scarce so the employers have to pay higher wages to keep employees and in the cycle they charge higher prices. fast food pays 10/hr to start and averages 15/hr. all of my subs travel here from other locations to work for the week and go home on weekends. paying their hotel bills is still cheaper than local subs and they know what production building is and can produce a quality product in our time lines.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 3,174 times
Default Housing

The problem with building in Wyoming is that different counties and towns have specific requirements and fees for building. Some of them charge an outrageous amount to connect to water or electric service, for example. Which makes it financially unfeasible to builders. I know that in Douglas, where more housing is desperately needed, they have relaxed the fees. I sure would like to see more housing here, especially ones that are dog friendly.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:47 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,785,460 times
Have any of you guys building homes ever used any exterior tile work around the doors or windows? I have never created any tile work for that area of the country and wonder if any one else has.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 PM

7 posts, read 22,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge5 View Post
We also are moving from Michigan and work in construction. The problem we see out there is that the house that would sell for 180,000 with a basement here is selling for 250,000 to 350,000 there. The cost of labor is higher then here and they charge way more to build and for the land. Basements cost twice as much to have due to the prep work and materials needed.

Have you made the move to WY? If so, do you have any insight for me as we are considering the move?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming