Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 02:17 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Cody was expensive in the 90's - can't imagine what it's like now
It's beyond my budget. I like that location Sheridian or Cody but those prices

Now have to lower expectations to Gillette, Powell, Buffalo or somewhere in Idaho like Weiser, New Plymouth, Emmett, Fruitland or Idaho Falls or Pokey both in East Idaho

It's the property taxes I am not going to pay more property taxes I am for paying now. The idea is to pay less get more and a newer bigger home and better area with peace and quiet so I can rest in peace. Need to find a slower pace of life....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2021, 06:27 PM

560 posts, read 436,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post

Now have to lower expectations to Gillette, Powell, Buffalo or somewhere in Idaho like Weiser, New Plymouth, Emmett, Fruitland or Idaho Falls or Pokey both in East Idaho

It's the property taxes I am not going to pay more property taxes I am for paying now. The idea is to pay less get more and a newer bigger home and better area with peace and quiet so I can rest in peace. Need to find a slower pace of life....
I really hope you (and us) find that peace where ever we end up.

Old 06-06-2021, 10:45 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
There seems to be a lot of service job openings in Gillette, that I don't think you woukd see that in the smaller towns, except for the resort areas, where COL is crazy.

Old 06-06-2021, 11:51 PM

15 posts, read 13,681 times
Quote:

Best of luck if you buy in Idaho. Housing prices here are one of the big reasons we are leaving. Too many Californians moving to Idaho and instead of taking up the Idahoean lifestyle, they bring their progressive baggage along with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
There seems to be a lot of service job openings in Gillette, that I don't think you woukd see that in the smaller towns, except for the resort areas, where COL is crazy.
Emmett, Treasure Valley, and Idaho in general has an extreme abundance of low skill/entry level jobs. Its not just Wyoming. Each stimulus that rolls out, a new wave of "now hiring" signs pop up. It is sad and pathetic.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:57 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NandI2 View Post
The rough roads is good to know. When I am not in a moving truck, with a car on a trailer behind it, I might revisit the northern route. Sounds like based on this and others' opinions, the southern route is the best. I appreciate the info!
FWIW, I don't recall that the northern route is rough.... and have towed from Sheridan to Livingston, and been over the whole route except I-15 from south of Butte/Helena to Rexburg ID. So I am a bit baffled over that comment...Is it just one segment??? I do recall that I-84 through southern ID is bumpy, but that is common to all 3 routes.

On the southern route, try to avoid going through Ogden at rush hour; SLC area traffic is not small town traffic anymore. And I-80 can be busy (but not big-city busy). If you're not traveling in winter, then there is little chance that I-80 will get shut down, as it does at times when the wind and snow blows hard in winter. Make sure you are full of fuel and have done your 'breaks' when you leave Rawlins heading north to Casper. No fuel or any stops at all in the first leg to Muddy Gap, and maybe none all the way to Casper. Don't drive around this area without knowing your fuel situation.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Best of luck if you buy in Idaho. Housing prices here are one of the big reasons we are leaving. Too many Californians moving to Idaho and instead of taking up the Idahoean lifestyle, they bring their progressive baggage along with them.

Emmett, Treasure Valley, and Idaho in general has an extreme abundance of low skill/entry level jobs. Its not just Wyoming. Each stimulus that rolls out, a new wave of "now hiring" signs pop up. It is sad and pathetic.
I concur with you 100% on the situation happening in the Boise area (Ada County) and especially in Meridian. The prices of those homes have gone up and I refuse to pay those kinds of property taxes.

Not as bad yet outside of Ada County. Nampa too is getting up there. So just might have to go north of that area to Weiser or East Idaho. Time will tell as it always does.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
As long as it's a good area and house with reasonable property taxes if that sounds right.

I am not going to jump into a hot feeding frenzy into the game of bidding.

Old 06-08-2021, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
I really hope you (and us) find that peace where ever we end up.
Yes we need all the luck and knowledge available to make the best informed decision.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:37 PM

15 posts, read 13,681 times
Quote:
I am not going to jump into a hot feeding frenzy into the game of bidding.
This is more true than you might even think. Talking with a local realtor a few weeks ago. Seller wanted to list for $350k. Instead, the realtor advised them to list for $340k to start a bidding war. After several offers and counters, the house ended up selling for $420k. Sure, its fantastic news for the agent and the seller. Even when appraisal comes back at less than $420, the expectation is that they will split the difference and buy for more than $350. But Idaho is a decent place to live. Sadly it is slowly becoming more progressive, which is why we're leaving, but maybe you are more willing to fight to preserve our rights. Best of luck!

Old 06-09-2021, 03:20 PM

560 posts, read 436,072 times
Quote:
This is more true than you might even think. Talking with a local realtor a few weeks ago. Seller wanted to list for $350k. Instead, the realtor advised them to list for $340k to start a bidding war. After several offers and counters, the house ended up selling for $420k. Sure, its fantastic news for the agent and the seller. Even when appraisal comes back at less than $420, the expectation is that they will split the difference and buy for more than $350. But Idaho is a decent place to live. Sadly it is slowly becoming more progressive, which is why we're leaving, but maybe you are more willing to fight to preserve our rights. Best of luck!
If you leave ID then you are hastening the change over to progressive-ism. Why not stay and refuse to let them win? If everyone who's not on that side of the crazy political scale moved out ID would turn so fast it would make everyone's head spin. It isn't like TX and FL where the large population can withstand a little encroachment. With less than 2m people the change in ID would happen extremely quickly... Just a thought.

What we should be doing is getting the people on the other end of the spectrum from places like TX to move in to counter act this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming