Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 AM

9 posts, read 24,471 times

Advertisements

Hello all

Some background info. I'll be moving to Worland within the next year for a job I've recently accepted. The stay will most likely be for the short term (1 to 2 years). I'm moving from a large metro area (Seattle), so this will be a large change in environment.

I have done a search on the forums already, but the results seem to be dated, so I do apologize if I'm repeating any questions. So onto my list of questions:

1) What is the current apartment/studio rental market like at the moment, in terms of cost and availability?
2) I read there were plans for a Walmart store. Has this gone through? I'll be honest and say I'm not big on Walmart, but I'm under the impression that there aren't that many B&M stores in the area, so I may have to rely on the store for some of my needs.
3) What is the culture like? How about food and drink?
4) How easy is it to get around town without a car? Is there some mass public transportation system in place?
5) Anything important I should be aware of?

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 11:40 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Wow, you're in for a shocker! Worland is wayyyyy different than Seattle! It is flat farming community, with some oilfields thrown in the mix. I grew up 20 miles south of Worland in a town of 100 people, so going to Worland was like going to the "city", but for you, it will be a tough transition. There is a plan for Walmart, but as of yet, only the land has been secured. Don't know when/if it will actually happen. There is a Pamida store (small version of Wally's) and some nice little hometown stores. There isn't a lot of "culture" in Worland, as it is pretty small. I am unaware of what the rental situation is like there, but if I were you I would call the Northern Wyoming Daily News and subscribe. It is a very small daily paper out of Worland. There aren't many places to go out to eat. There are a couple of good restaurants (Mexican, american) but not much for variety. There are a couple of the usual fast food places like McDonald's, but only a couple. You would pretty much need to get a car to get around town. There is no mass transportation. If you lived close enough to work you could walk, but to get anywhere else you'd want a car. If you are there a year or two you'd want one anyway to get out of town once in awhile. I know this sounds like a pretty bleak outlook, but this is just the truth about Worland or any small Wyoming town. Towns don't run together like they do in other states. They are few and far between. Personally, I think Worland is a nice town with good, hardworking people. It will just be a big adjustment for you. Go with an open mind, knowing what to expect, and you should do fine! Best wishes!

Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM

357 posts, read 1,614,319 times
Default I sense culture shock a-comin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarama View Post

3) What is the culture like? How about food and drink?

4) How easy is it to get around town without a car? Is there some mass public transportation system in place?

5) Anything important I should be aware of?
3) Production ag/oil&gas exploration/light manufacturing.

By "production ag" I mean that you won't find many farmers catering to people in BMW's who want to buy organic produce. We're talking about sugarbeets/cattle/corn/grain/hay production. There's some oil and gas work as well as mining in the area as well.

Compared to Seattle, the incomes are lower (and the costs are lower), the crime is significantly lower and there's a whole bunch of nonsense that happens in Seattle that simply doesn't exist in places like Worland.

Here's some perspective on the area from the residents and county government:

http://www.washakiecounty.net/finrep.pdf (broken link)

Restaurants: Basic food, a bunch of chains, some local Chinese and Mexican places.

worland restaurants - Google Maps

4) It is flat, so using a bicycle or your feet works well. The town is small. I'd reckon you could walk from one side to the other, or from top to bottom, in a couple hours.

Here's a detailed map from Google maps:

Worland, WY - Google Maps

Google has a street-level view of the town, so you can get an idea what it looks like without even driving there.

"Mass transit?" There are no masses, therefore there is no "mass transit."

5) It will be quite a bit drier and have much larger temperature swings than Seattle.

Your nearest option for extensive medical care will be Billings, MT, about three hours away to the north. That's where you'd need to go for extensive shopping as well. Riverton, WY is south, and has a large enough facility to keep someone in an emergency situation alive, but it isn't a huge community or hospital. Riverton has a Walmart and a bunch more "stuff" because it is a town about twice the size of Worland.

Driving to Riverton is certainly pretty, but it isn't fast, especially in winter. Driving through the Wind River Canyon can present a problem during snowstorms. If there is a wreck on some parts of that road, it might take awhile to get around the wreck. Once you're in the canyon, you're stuck, there are no alternatives to "go around" -- even offroad.

All other towns in the Big Horn Basin are small compared to Seattle.

Here's a good overview of the state's economy:

http://eadiv.state.wy.us/SpecialRepo...Forum_2008.pdf

Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Some very good points posted by NVDave! You hit the nail on the head for a lot of things. Good Job!!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:50 PM

16 posts, read 69,203 times
Hey everyone...

Lifelong Worland native here; that is the entire 23 years I've been alive. I'll give you my own condensed version of life here in Worlando Beach.

Geography and Climate are both factors which jump to the top of the list, especially considering your move from Seattle. Worland is situated almost smack-dab in the middle of the Big Horn Basin. People don't often refer to the Basin as a desert, but it most certainly is. Precipitation here in Worland is well below the 10 inch mark, and we're also one of the "hot spots" of the state during the summertime. This can be in part attributed to our low elevation relative to the rest of wyoming. The towns in the valley of the Big Horn river are in the 4000 foot range, gradually declining to 3800 in greybull. This not only adds to the heat in the summer, but also means that Worland is one of the least windy towns in the state. Just go for a drive to Cody once you get here to appreciate this fact. Being nestled right on the eastern side of the big horn river, Worland is basically built on a sagebrush flat. The only hill you will find is the east part of town on hillcrest drive, on the way to Ten Sleep. The fields which totally surround town are dramatically erased eventually by the encompassing badlands, most notably rattle-snake ridge. It is within these ridges and badlands that you will find modest oilfield/gas development.

As far as the town itself, the others have covered most of the bases. The last census in 2000 showed the town had shrunk by several hundred to around 5200. City-data now shows an estimate of 4970. The city counsel has recently executed annexation of many of the subdivisions surrounding Worland, in the hopes of avoiding being declassified from "city" to "town." Despite the decline in population, the overall count in Washakie County hovers around the 8000 mark. This most definitely puts us in the bottom 5 smallest counties in the state. Surprisingly though, Worland is more diverse than most towns in Wyoming, with a Hispanic population approaching 15%.
The political culture is mostly conservative. However our representative in Cheyenne is a democrat... But as they say in Wyoming, you can't always judge one's political philosophy on party affiliation...

There are currently five schools in Worland. The 3 elementaries: South Side, East Side, and West Side. Worland Middle School; which was recently built about 5 years ago. And Worland High School; the home of the Warriors!! The old Middle School has been revamped into a community center. There is also talk of demolishing the old swimming pool at the high school and constructing a new "Community Aquatic Center." I'll keep my fingers crossed on that one...

Oh, and on the cultural side of things, we just happen to be in the process of constructing a brand new Museum right on the main drag of Big Horn Ave. It looks promising so far... When it comes to other cultural activities, you'll find them to be few and far between when compared to Seattle. The highlights of the year generally revolve around the county fair, school activities, town parades, town festivals, etc. Past that you have to find your own methods of passing the hours. As far as the rest of the town culturally with food/drink, here's my rundown, with preference included.
1. The Brass Plum---Offering delicious breakfasts and lunch. The best place in town for a caramel twist or a turkey melt.
2. Maggie's Cafe---One of Worland's long-standing and most popular breakfast/lunch stops. If you're not there by 11:30 some days, you'll be hard pressed to find a seat. She offers traditional american dishes, with the best homemade fries you'll ever have.
3. Rumors----formerly the office lounge. Has undergone several ownership changes within the past few years, but has remained fairly consistent. If you're looking for a steak dinner, this is probably the best place.
4. Buffalo Rose---A nicer restaurant about 3 miles east of town heading to Ten Sleep. Offers the best sit-down atmosphere in town. Also offers good steak/prime rib/seafood, etc...
5. Martinez Mexican food---This is a newer establishment next to the bowling alley. By far the best mexican food in town. All homemade right in front of you.
6. Now I'll list what's left...
-Habanero's mexican
-The Ram's horn cafe
-Ranchito Mexican
-"The Chains"--McD's, Arby's, Subway, Taco Johns, A&W
There are two grocery stores in town. Blairs Super Market, and Jon's IGA.

As far as shopping go, there's a nifty formula you can keep in mind when traveling out-of-town. If you're going north to billings, it's about 2.5 hours. South-east to Casper? About 2.5 hours. North-west to Cody? 90 miles. South to Riverton? 90 miles also. Over the mountain to buffalo? 90 miles once again.

Like others have surely said, Worland's not for everyone. But for those of us here, we wouldn't trade it for the world. We find ourselves nestled in the North-West corner of Wyoming, which is often considered the best part of the state. Worland is not lacking in scenery. You're surrounded by the Big Horns to the East, Bridger and Owl Creeks to the South, Absarokas to the West, and the Pryor's to the North. No matter what your fancy is, be it hunting, fishing, hiking, four-wheeling, etc., there's plenty of BLM/Forrest/Creeks/Wilderness to be found. I wish you the best on your journey and look forward to seeing you here. All the best!

TNT

Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,257 times
Thanks for the info NV & TNT I also am considering a relocation to Worland. Anyone have answers as to the rental situation in town?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 19,684 times
Default Moving to Worland in APRIL!

I've been accepted to the Americorps and moving to Worland in April 2009. I have found this thread very useful. I'm moving from Wisconsin. I was borned and raised in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I grew up in a town the size of Worland. I'm very excited to be in this town for a year!

HOpe to hear back from anyone. I would love to know about renting, activities, etc.

Thanks

D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming