Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 05:39 AM

97 posts, read 155,452 times

Advertisements

I agree about skipping Bozeman. Just too much. I also agree about sleeping in the van if need be but so far I'm overruled....we'll see. I've written down what you suggested and will go to the map to check it out. We should hit the drive .... if it stays as planned now....should hit the drive through east entrance of Yellowstone down to Jackson, really early in the morning so that may work. Someone suggested rather than driving any of the way through the park, to go up and hit I think it's 90 and then over to 15 ... so up and to the west of the park. Longer but faster. I don't know about that. A friend and I made a short trip last year to Jackson..flew into SLC and drove to Jackson Hole for a few days, went through some pass at night that the people at the lodge seemed slightly alarmed so am afraid to run into a repeat of that. Your suggestion about the one route not to take at night reminded me of that. We'll be in a van. Hopefully we'll have good luck on that! So, now to the map. Thanks so much. I'd miss so much without these suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 11:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
West Yellowstone to Jackson is quite a long ways, and seems like back-tracking (especially timewise). Yellowstone is not a destination that you can 'make-time', (Radar bears + SLOW gawkers + lots to see). Some of Yellowstone is not very scenic, it might be good to get good data (Yellowstone map Yellowstone National Park's Maps & Orientation Page and video, probably available at your library, or PBS download) and talk with your daughter to find out what she MOST wants to see http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...ripplanner.pdf. I'm not keen on West Yellowstone, but Old Faithful is on that side, as well as Mammoth and Mud pots, The vistas and spectacular water falls are on the east and NE. The south is mostly forest.

I would consider a loop to Crow Agency. minimally (shortest, can expand as time avails)
ID Falls to Jackson (overnight stay near Alpine > Jackson to preserve views for daylight) to Cody (Via Tetons and SE Yellowstone, stopping at Lewis Falls and then taking the 17 mile offset for Old Faithful and back to see the Lake and main areas around Fishing Bridge, before heading east to Cody. (overnight stay)
Cody to Buffalo
Buffalo to Crow Agency (overnight stay)
Crow A to Red Lodge and back across NE Yellowstone, Mammoth, and out West Yellowstone (if short on time) OR back on south through Jackson and Star Valley to Logan (If time permits).

Probably most important will be hitting the road early in the mornings and let kids / wife sleep while you make tracks. That will require you to make sure you use overnight destinations that you can see / do the bulk of visiting in the late afternoon and evening, and not be waiting around till 10AM for places of interest to open. I do Yogurt (yuk) and bananas for 'road breakfasts'.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:14 PM

No kids involved so that helps in my mind with the drive. I really need to get a map out...duh...so I can try to speak intelligently about this. I'll check out the latest that you suggested. I did however check out your thought from Jackson to SLC, down through Logan and Bear Lake and I like that idea.

Here's what I have so far. We're starting out going east first just because I didn't want to get cut short on *my* part of the trip. Don't mean to sound selfish but everyone knows this is my trip and the main goal of mine is Little Big Horn, historic places. My daughter and her husband just want to sort of get a glimpse of Yellowstone if that's remotely possible because they'll be coming back...I may not.

So, Lv. SLC 9th early in day....check out Rock Springs, South Pass City, Atlantic City, get to Lander the first night hopefully. Then early next morning leave, cut off between Sheridan and Buffalo for Story, etc., stay in Buffalo the 10th. Next morning, 11th, head to Crow Agency....see Little Big Horn. I may need to hang out there for awhile just to feel the area, then leave and go to Cody and stay two nights in Cody, 11th and 12th. I figured that way, they could drive to park if they want, I can check out the museum or whatever, maybe do the rodeo and by that point we may need to stay put for a day...My husband and I are actually starting out June 4 in Albuquerque and going through Flagstaff, Sedona, he wants to see Grand Canyon, then up to SLC. To me this is like two vacations. So by that time we may need that day in Cody and maybe all of us will need a break by that time....so get up morning of 13th early and leave from Cody, go into east entrance...maybe stop, maybe just drive through, and head down towards Jackson....stay there a bit, then go on down the way you suggested, through Logan and Bear Lake. May stay that night, 13th, in Logan, then have to have daughter and hus to airport in SLC by noon on 14th. Probably for the *drivers* out there this is nothing but I decided early on that I would rather not just do a marathon drive. There is no way I can see all that I want and give it justice so will have to do what I can. If you have a minute more, how about that route?...The only thing about this is that there's tons of stuff I want to see/do between SLC and Buffalo and it's a lot for one day. We have reservatinos at the Occidental is it, in Buffalo on the 10th and I'd really like to stay there. Anyway, that's my plan as of today.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 24,663 times
I have not heard anyone mention the Rosebud Battlefield which is an integral part of the Custer Battlefield site but located south east of Custer Battlefield and north of Decker Montana. Here is a link for you to see if you want to put it on your must see places: Rosebud Battlefield State Park - Montana FWP

Old 05-21-2009, 04:16 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeco View Post
...So, Lv. SLC 9th early in day....check out Rock Springs, South Pass City, Atlantic City, get to Lander the first night hopefully. ...
I wouldn't do that if scenery is of any concern (no offense, Lander is ok, but the other stuff I can do without, or blaze through at 3AM and not miss a thing) JMHO since I endured many yrs of truckdriving in WY. Maybe you need a 'colored' map of WY. Brown means barren, I suggest you do those drives at night if you are short on time, or preferably keep the brown to a minimum if you want to see "Big, Beautiful Wyo". (I personally like the prairie, but that is very unusual, and I don't recommend it to strangers). The state map WY publishes for tourism is great for color ID of routing.

Quote:
So by that time we may need that day in Cody and maybe all of us will need a break by that time....so get up morning of 13th early and leave from Cody, go into east entrance...maybe stop, maybe just drive through, and head down towards Jackson....stay there a bit, then go on down the way you suggested, through Logan and Bear Lake.
I wouldn't do that either, as you are really cutting short Yellowstone. As previously mentioned, the nice stuff is NE, and NW in the park. Try to do the "Beartooth" highway (NE) you will not be disappointed if scenery and Yellowstone is what you want. (very few visitors do this). The east and south entrance don't do much for me, especially for a short trip that you want to see the sites.

Consider Yellowstone as a treasure, and icing on the cake, you may get plenty of prairie in MT. (but at least MT has grass on its prairie, more than I can say for Rock Springs>Lander)

Share the driving, enjoy the route, get some (very little) sleep.
My estimates were 3 full days of driving for the full scenic round trip. (mentioned in previous post) You don't have a lot of extra time, but enough to make it a nice memorable trip.

Lighten up, be flexible (and inquisitive / adventurous) and take short-cuts (freeways) only if required.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 PM

Well, Rosebud I had seen mention but forgot about it in this planning. I need to consider that and I do need the map....and I do need to lighten up. I tend to overplan most everything. I am though interested in the Atlantic City/South Pass City type areas. I'm sure I am cutting Yellowstone short, but we'll have to see. Since I'm not a HUGE fan of driving...I know, why am I doing this then....but since I'm not a huge fan, I know I'll miss lots of sights. The lighten up part is probably the best. I have an outline now of the trip and that's how I should consider it and all the places suggested to me have been a huge help...nothing better than voices of experinece. If I want to drive more I can always do that. Sounds simple now that I've said it. Also of course I care what my daughter and husband want, but they live closer to Yellowstone and take driving trips all the time. Felt selfish after saying that

Old 05-22-2009, 01:33 AM

380 posts, read 1,145,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeco View Post
I'd love to stay at the Irma but they have no openings. I'm so excited about this trip but it's hard to relax in my planning....I really don't want to drive all day every day...I'd rather see fewer things and more of them, than try to drive for five days. The first part of the trip is in place, but I'm having trouble deciding from Crow Agency, from the battlefield, we have three days from there until we need to be back in Salt Lake City. So leave Crow Agency pm of 11th, want to go to Cody or Bozeman but think I need to skip one, then on I guess through Jackson and then onto Salt Lake City. I dont' care if we don't have reservations for every night, just hate to get stuck and have to spend too much for a night only to sleep and spend little time there, so am trying to vaguely plan around places we could stay. Would like to stay two nights somewhere for exploring...maybe Bozeman or Cody. Anyway, sorry...thinking out loud again. Thanks for your reply..I almost missed it. It makes me reconsider maybe spending the two days in Cody.....
you can go through Cody and when you leave to go through the Park you can cut across and go to Salt Lake out of the west entrance/exit-rather than double back--If you have never been through the Wind River Canyon you should try to drive through there if it fits in your travel plan--The Irma is packed but you should still visit it and eat there!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:38 AM

I plan to check out the Irma, the hotel and the food. Tough decision on leaving the park though. It will probably come down to the time we leave that morning, how much time we have. Can't wait...this next week now I need to just relax....thanks for all the info, from everybody. It's really been a huge help.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
In response the to the anti-South Pass City /Atlantic city comments...the area around there is pretty and rich with history. You can visit the living museum and see where the first woman Justice of the Peace and Wyoming's icon for woman's suffrage-Esther Hobart Morris-lived. It's a neat little town and not too far from there is the Oregon trail, as well as being able to see the Cirque of Towers.

Also, on the way to Lander there is the Red Canyon which is simply breathtaking, impo.

Can't speak for Rock Springs, as I've never been that far.

Good luck on your trip !

Old 05-22-2009, 10:02 AM

I'm so glad you wrote re the South Pass City/Atlantic City sites. I love little places like they sound. I was planning on stopping there but secretly was afraid they might be one of those historic sites that end up being a bunch of nothing. I used to have maps for years of old towns, ghost town kind of places, places I wanted to visit, but those maps are long gone. Now I ill check out Red Canyon. It looks beautiful. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming