U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Sheridan WY
197 posts, read 382,513 times
Reputation: 111
After several attempt to register a brand of her own she bought one from a neighbor and branded her cattle with it. After branding some cattle that she had bought a nasty neighbor decided she must have stole them and took law into his own hand and hung her and partner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Southern Calif. close to the ocean
380 posts, read 757,116 times
Reputation: 117
Default wabbit tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I didn't know there was a minimum IQ requirement! I'd better hit the books.

But yes, you got it. Your turn.

This is so much fun!
ok i have lived in Wyoming for almost 14 years. now that i have been in Calif. for 30 some-can i apply for out of state tag? I am not to sure i meet min IQ requirement either--also, are there special areas? like maybe just Douglas?
do i need a deer tag with the wabbit tag-or is this together?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:17 PM
 
2,465 posts, read 2,980,934 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
After several attempt to register a brand of her own she bought one from a neighbor and branded her cattle with it. After branding some cattle that she had bought a nasty neighbor decided she must have stole them and took law into his own hand and hung her and partner.
Well we both must have different sources of information as the sources I found said that she earned the name Cattle Kate as she traded sex for cattle, especially mavericks and young calves.

One source says that the name Ella/Ellen Watson got her name because a newspaper reporter accidently mistook her for a prostitute named Kate Maxwell that was from the same area that Ella/Ellen lived and so because Ella/Ellen was found with a lot of mavericks and young calves she was dubbed Cattle Kate. However there were still the strong possibility that Ella/Ellen Watson traded sex for cattle even without being wrongly mistaken for Kate Maxwell.

Another source says that she honored a soldier admirer by changing her name to Kate Maxwell and she took cattle in trade for sex so that she could save up enough money to buy a decent sized ranch and become a respectable woman.

Either way the story goes Cattle Kate ended up with a lot of cattle that the cattle barons felt did not rightfully belong to her and that she was making money off of their cattle when she would sell them off, so she and her partner James Averill were hung.

EDIT 2ND TIME: JKB826 it's your turn.

Last edited by wyoquilter; 09-15-2009 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Typed to fast & brain was not keeping up & I didn't say all that I was trying to say. + accidently gave the wrong name
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Southern Calif. close to the ocean
380 posts, read 757,116 times
Reputation: 117
wyo quilter they were railroaded-lied by the press who was owned by the cattle barons-read my link-read all the pages on her and her boyfriend--they wanted her land--she sounded like a good woman in the story I read of her
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WE-CattleKate.html read full story

James Averell - Unjustly Hanged they got away with murder
and greed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:29 PM
 
2,465 posts, read 2,980,934 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
ok i have lived in Wyoming for almost 14 years. now that i have been in Calif. for 30 some-can i apply for out of state tag? I am not to sure i meet min IQ requirement either--also, are there special areas? like maybe just Douglas?
do i need a deer tag with the wabbit tag-or is this together?
As far as I know the Mayor of Douglas is the one who issues the hunting licenses. It is my understanding that an out of stater can apply for a license. However all who apply must meet the IQ requirements before getting a license. I believe that the only area you can hunt in for this elusive animal on the particular date of June 31st is around the Douglas area. Maybe that is because that is where the vast majority have been seen. As far as I know the tags are strictly for Jackelope and nothing else, so there is no combined tags.

I do believe after doing some more reasearch that there is a state wide hunting season for the Jackelope and it's only on Feb. 30th. I'm not quite sure though as to where you would get your license from. Maybe they are available at any place that you get your other hunting/fishing licenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Southern Calif. close to the ocean
380 posts, read 757,116 times
Reputation: 117
cattle barons would also, to claim the most land, would build a small log home they would move around after getting their homestead OK from so-called improvements made-
amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Southern Calif. close to the ocean
380 posts, read 757,116 times
Reputation: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
As far as I know the Mayor of Douglas is the one who issues the hunting licenses. It is my understanding that an out of stater can apply for a license. However all who apply must meet the IQ requirements before getting a license. I believe that the only area you can hunt in for this elusive animal on the particular date of June 31st is around the Douglas area. Maybe that is because that is where the vast majority have been seen. As far as I know the tags are strictly for Jackelope and nothing else, so there is no combined tags.

I do believe after doing some more reasearch that there is a state wide hunting season for the Jackelope and it's only on Feb. 30th. I'm not quite sure though as to where you would get your license from. Maybe they are available at any place that you get your other hunting/fishing licenses.
I am willing to wager (what I dunno) they are drawn from a cracker jacks box--no offence intended to cracker jacks
I am headed to the store now/ wish me luck! wabbits....be afraid.

(hopefully this is not as tough as winning the lotto!)

Last edited by Claim Jumper; 09-15-2009 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:39 PM
 
2,465 posts, read 2,980,934 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
wyo quilter they were railroaded-lied by the press who was owned by the cattle barons-read my link-read all the pages on her and her boyfriend--they wanted her land--she sounded like a good woman in the story I read of her
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WE-CattleKate.html read full story

James Averell - Unjustly Hanged they got away with murder
and greed
Oh I imagine that Cattle Kate and her boyfriend James Averill were very much lied about as were much of the homesteaders during that time. Many men got away with murder and it's a crying shame. To this day a lot of the old timers that are kin to the homesteaders back then during the Johnson County War still have a strong dislike for Texans. Good thing is, many of the hired guns met with aweful fates later on after the JCW had died down. Payback can be a real b**ch.

I was just asking the question How did Cattle Kate get her name based on the sources I had found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM
 
2,465 posts, read 2,980,934 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
I am willing to wager (what I dunno) they are drawn from a cracker jacks box--no offence intended to cracker jacks
I am headed to the store now
Hey that is where I got my pilot license from. I have the legal right to fly my bird anytime and anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Sheridan WY
197 posts, read 382,513 times
Reputation: 111
Well the resources I read on Cattle Kate made her out to be the victim. That she was terrorized by the local cattle barons and then unjustly hung. Would be interested to know the whole story.

Okay next question:

What is significate about the limestone cliffs along the Green River near LaBarge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top