Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 04:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times

Advertisements

Ha Ha it is funny.

Why slap me silly, I didn't look up where Grey's River is. A huge clue. Its too far south for my answer to be correct, so my money is on you, wyoquilter!

reading all these tales... it is striking to how many prospectors died in their search for mineral wealth in Wyoming. If the environment or indians didn't kill you, your fellow prospectors might. It is an unforgiving place for those who venture out into the wilderness and try to wrest its riches from its icy grip.

Funny, growing up there it never seemed like an inhospitable place, even in winter.* It was just the way it was and only a fool ventured out into it in the harshest seasons without adequate gear and preparation. Perhaps it was the optimism of youth, that one could prevail if properly prepared.

* Reminds me of a story... a college classmate had been placed in the remotes of Alaska at an early warning radar station way out on the edge of the wilderness. Periodically they were allowed to ride into a nearby town in a heated, insulated double tracked transport vehicle, necessary they believed to cover the miles of snow and ice in the wilderness. They always dressed up in all their multiple layers of heavy insulated coats, clothing and underwear with big hoods and gloves.

On the way into town they passed thru local settlements where the native children were outside playing in the snow, wearing thin cloth coats and no gloves, rosy cheeked, smiling and happy. The local children were not a bit uncomfortable or feeling in anyway deprived. The temperature was just the way it was, nothing to get worked up about. That is just the way it was, when you grow up with it.

But I can tell you for sure, now that I'm living down here in Austin, TX, its is hotter then hades down here, seems like I never stop sweating, even after 32 years I have no been able to adapt to it. I have no desire to shovel snow or drive in it again. But I sure do miss those cool Wyoming summers, we had numerous days over 100 degrees this summer. Thank goodness fall is now here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:14 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Ha Ha it is funny.

Why slap me silly, I didn't look up where Grey's River is. A huge clue. Its too far south for my answer to be correct, so my money is on you, wyoquilter!

reading all these tales... it is striking to how many prospectors died in their search for mineral wealth in Wyoming. If the environment or indians didn't kill you, your fellow prospectors might. It is an unforgiving place for those who venture out into the wilderness and try to wrest its riches from its icy grip.

Funny, growing up there it never seemed like an inhospitable place, even in winter.* It was just the way it was and only a fool ventured out into it in the harshest seasons without adequate gear and preparation. Perhaps it was the optimism of youth, that one could prevail if properly prepared.

* Reminds me of a story... a college classmate had been placed in the remotes of Alaska at an early warning radar station way out on the edge of the wilderness. Periodically they were allowed to ride into a nearby town in a heated, insulated double tracked transport vehicle, necessary they believed to cover the miles of snow and ice in the wilderness. They always dressed up in all their multiple layers of heavy insulated coats, clothing and underwear with big hoods and gloves.

On the way into town they passed thru local settlements where the native children were outside playing in the snow, wearing thin cloth coats and no gloves, rosy cheeked, smiling and happy. The local children were not a bit uncomfortable or feeling in anyway deprived. The temperature was just the way it was, nothing to get worked up about. That is just the way it was, when you grow up with it.

But I can tell you for sure, now that I'm living down here in Austin, TX, its is hotter then hades down here, seems like I never stop sweating, even after 32 years I have no been able to adapt to it. I have no desire to shovel snow or drive in it again. But I sure do miss those cool Wyoming summers, we had numerous days over 100 degrees this summer. Thank goodness fall is now here.
I know for me I prefer cold over hot any day. With cold you can always add more layers to keep warm, where as with heat you can only remove so many layers before you get arrested for public indecency. Unless of course you live on a nude beach.

But I do remember the exact opposite of you. I lived in AZ until I was almost 8yo. I don't remember the temps. ever being hot and miserable. My cousins and I would play for hours in the desert sun and not think twice about it. Now when I go back to AZ, I can't imagine that there was ever a time that I never paid any attention to how hot it was. After being in AZ for a day or two, I just can't wait to get back to WY, the land of snow and cold. I'll take a snow shovel over a sand pail any day.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
I work for weather forcasters. I give them a bad time about having to shovel Partly Cloudy.

Remember, in Wyoming, it doesn't snow. It snow's in Montana and blows across to Colorado.

Also, in Wyoming, snow doesn't melt. The wind just blows it around until it wears out.

In Wyoming, we don't have thermometers. We put the dog out and wait 3 minutes. If we have to bust him loose from the tree, it's cold.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I work for weather forcasters. I give them a bad time about having to shovel Partly Cloudy.

Remember, in Wyoming, it doesn't snow. It snow's in Montana and blows across to Colorado.

Also, in Wyoming, snow doesn't melt. The wind just blows it around until it wears out.

In Wyoming, we don't have thermometers. We put the dog out and wait 3 minutes. If we have to bust him loose from the tree, it's cold.
OMG that was to funny, glad that I wasn't drinking something when I read that or I would have sprayed my monitor. Sad to say, but it's the truth for the most part. Thanks for the laugh EH.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
there is a coal mine on the Big Greys side of deadman.... but that not how it got its name....

Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
there is a coal mine on the Big Greys side of deadman.... but that not how it got its name....
Well you got me totally stumped. The only thing I could find about how Deadman Peak got it's name is the info. I posted.

Do you have any hints? Maybe I'm missing something when I am looking up things.

Does it have anything to do with the fire lookout on top of Deadman Peak?

How long ago did this incident take place that gave the peak it's name?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:30 AM

Got me stumped to. I'm still not sure I understand the original question. Needs clarification or more clues.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Pretty funny weather observations.

Another forum that I participate in has buttons one can click on beneath each post allowing you to agree, disagree, laugh, say thanks or yay, etc. Instead of having to make a whole post just to say LOL. I sure wish they had that here. I will suggest it.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:55 PM

[SIZE=3]Library time, try the last saddle horse ranger by Cazier[/SIZE]

Old 09-24-2009, 01:02 PM

nobody gets it soon I tell the story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming