Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 12:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times

Advertisements

That's right, Claim Jumper. I once owned a piece of that paper myself, many years ago.

It's hard to say anything about Buffalo Bill without immediately giving away who you're talking about. I guess I could have called him a "rancher" or "entrepreneur", but he was, more than anything else, a famous Wyoming cowboy. Heck, he even has an NFL franchise named after him... in of all places, New York!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 04:26 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Heck, he even has an NFL franchise named after him... in of all places, New York!
Places in the east named Buffalo were not named for Buffalo Bill Cody as Buffalo, New York, for example, was named in the late 1700's for nearby Buffalo Creek way before he was even born.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:56 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
Places in the east named Buffalo were not named for Buffalo Bill Cody as Buffalo, New York, for example, was named in the late 1700's for nearby Buffalo Creek way before he was even born.
As most here know, Buffalo, NY was not named for Buffalo Bill Cody that I'm sure we all agree on. However the NFL team in which was refered too was indeed named after Buffalo Bill Cody. Here is a link to that little tidbit:

Ask.com Search Engine - Better Web Search

Blip from the above website:

Nickname:
Buffalo’s team in the All-America Football Conference (AAFC) in 1946 was the Bisons. In 1947 a contest was held to rename the team, which was owned by James Breuil of the Frontier Oil Company. The winning entry suggested Bills, reflecting on the famous western frontiersman, Buffalo Bill Cody. Carrying the “frontier” theme further, the winning contestant further offered that the team was being supported by Frontier Oil and was “opening a new frontier in sports in Western New York.” When Buffalo joined the new American Football League in 1960, the name of the city’s earlier pro football entry was adopted.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:11 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,733 times
Post rock tree

A lone pine tree growing out of a boulder has been a landmark in the what area since the Union Pacific railroad passed near the tree 140 years ago?
And according to legend the tree was watered by whom? 2 part question

Old 09-06-2009, 09:17 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
A lone pine tree growing out of a boulder has been a landmark in the what area since the Union Pacific railroad passed near the tree 140 years ago.
And according to legend the tree was watered by whom?
I think I can get half of it. In 1865 General Grenville Dodge was surveying a path for the railroad when he and his party was attacked by indians. They fled and used the tree as a landmark for a future path over the mountain. That's my half. haha I have no clue about watering it. I'll give up my half to the person that figures out who watered it.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
A lone pine tree growing out of a boulder has been a landmark in the what area since the Union Pacific railroad passed near the tree 140 years ago?
And according to legend the tree was watered by whom? 2 part question
The lone pine tree landmark is in the Buford area and it was watered by the locomotive operators as they passed by.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
The lone pine tree landmark is in the Buford area and it was watered by the locomotive operators as they passed by.
toooo easy your turn

Old 09-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I think I can get half of it. In 1865 General Grenville Dodge was surveying a path for the railroad when he and his party was attacked by indians. They fled and used the tree as a landmark for a future path over the mountain. That's my half. haha I have no clue about watering it. I'll give up my half to the person that figures out who watered it.
i wonder if your story is part of the same area/tree?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
i wonder if your story is part of the same area/tree?
Well, I think it is. General Grenville Dodge was the Chief Engineer for the Union Pacific Railroad. The tree is just a short ways out of Laramie and is now surrounded by a protective fence with a sign on it explaining it's importance.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
toooo easy your turn
Okay, I have a couple of questions. One I'm sure you all will get rather quickly, but the other one is one I doubt most, if any, of you will know, so if anyone gets it I will truely be amazed.

The first question counts for your turn if you answer correctly, the second question will really show you know a lot about WY history and trivia and I will galdly bow at your feet.

1.) What is Isa Lake best known for?

2.) Who did all of the taxidermy work that was done in the late 1800's - early 1900's that was/is displayed in the Occidental Hotel in Buffalo, WY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming