Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:50 AM

15 posts, read 24,672 times

Advertisements

Still way better than Ocala, fl at 11.5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandjnclan View Post
My leanings are towards Wyoming, my wife and I found a wonderful site call Sperling's Best Places. I offers many different ways to compare citys around the nation and has been a true eye opener. I was wondering if you might have any insight into Cody, WY? Thanks for taking the time to respond to my threads
My daughter and her family moved to Cody in May and love it there. Her husband just graduated from college and accepted an offer as a civil engineer with the Wyo. Dept. of Trans. Cody was the town they hoped to find a job in and it just fell into his lap. They are very pleased. They were in Powell for 2 years of college so liked it there, also (about 20 miles away). They bought a brand new 2 story 3br, 2 1/2 bath home with large utility room/pantry, 2 car garage, yard in including UGS, vinyl fenced back yard, hardwood floors (not laminate), nice appliances, good workmanship for
$185K. The downfall is that it is on a very small lot so the yard isn't very big. But they thought that for the price they could get by with a smaller yard for now while their 2 boys are still little. This price was lower than existing older homes. As WyoNewk said, jobs are kind of hard to come by, but you just have to be persistent and keep your eye out for what's up your alley. Cody can be a bit windy at times being it is at the base of the mountains. The views there are beautiful, the lake is very close by (although sometimes really windy out there!), and as said, it is close to Yellowstone, a great place to go for day trips. I have to agree with WyoNewk that Cody would rank as one of my favorite towns in Wyoming.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 AM

goodness the weather here has gone screwy, I would say that this has been the longest running winter that I can remember. I was given some advice to make a trip in February to see Wyoming at its worst, now being a life long Florida Native what in the way of clothing will I need for such as excursion. I know that my pathetically inadequate cold weather gear will leave me freezing.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:57 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
goodness the weather here has gone screwy, I would say that this has been the longest running winter that I can remember. I was given some advice to make a trip in February to see Wyoming at its worst, now being a life long Florida Native what in the way of clothing will I need for such as excursion. I know that my pathetically inadequate cold weather gear will leave me freezing.
You really don't need super heavy duty cold weather gear for the trip at this time. We're now past the typical coldest months, although this is now the snowiest time of the year ... in warmer temps. Rather than seeing zero and sub-sero temps, it's a lot warmer. This is a climate where the high 40's and low 50's of the past few days seemed like a heat wave. It's snowing right now here at the ranch outside Cheyenne, and it's 34 degrees. My wife didn't even wear a hat when feeding this morning because it's that warm.

The trick to staying comfortable is to wear layers. For example, I've got a t-shirt, a knit golf shirt, and a light sweatshirt on now and it's comfortable inside the house and yet enough to go outside with a medium weight Columbia parka to do the chores. IF I needed more upper body warmth, I'd put on a thermal underwear type shirt as my first layer. My Columbia parka was only $75 at Sierra Trading Post ... look them up online and you can mail order from them or visit the store in Cheyenne if you're in the area.

I'll wear a pair of jeans and have some wet area boots on ... if it wasn't for the muddy conditions from the last few days, I'd be wearing an old pair of slip-on "jungle mocs" by Merrill with a pair of medium weight cotton boot socks.

A hat is essential ... I wear a wool watch cap, or my favorites ... a South American style lined wool hat that has the big ear flaps to cover the ears and more of the head, so it blocks more snow and wind than a small cap. My neighbors mostly wear ball caps ... promos from their favorite tractor store or ball team ... but my ears are more sensitive than theirs and if my ears are cold, I'm cold.

If you're really desperate for heavier footwear that works well for most of the year around here, then see if you can find some Chippewa or Justin lace-up type roper/work boots. They're pretty popular for a lot of applications, are well made in the USA on american foot lasts, and are reasonably priced ... typically around mid $80 to just under $100. Much better quality than I've found in Ariat and the other leading brands made in China ... although if you can find these boots in your area at substantially lower prices, then they may be OK for you.

If I was going to be outside for any length of time, then I'd pull on my insulated Carhartt farmer johns or coveralls. But that's an expense that you really shouldn't need unless you're planning on being outdoors a lot.

If you have silk clothing, so much the better for layering. It's far warmer than anything else, including polypropylene. Again, the key to staying comfortable is the layering, not trying to have one piece of clothing that is super heavy duty cold protection .... and with layering, you can add another or take them off as needed to adjust your comfort level.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:55 PM

I am looking to visit February of next year, we layer here as well since it can be 34 in the morning and 65-70 by noon.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:40 PM

203 posts, read 713,054 times
warm socks is my advice. I love Smart Wool socks. You can handle cold temps better if your feet, hands, head are warm. Normally I only wear a shirt, pants, and coat/ jacket. If you are spending lots of time outside then layers, but if you are going to be primarily inside then a good jacket works. I believe Wyonewk once was asked about the cold and he said it was 72 in his house, 72 in the car, 72 at work. Sometimes I find places to be too warm. At work I open the windows because it is too warm for me.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
I am looking to visit February of next year, we layer here as well since it can be 34 in the morning and 65-70 by noon.
Above zero????? And you layer? Today it was 40 and I worked outside in a T-Shirt. Dog was panting it was so hot. hahahahaha

You will get climatized and really be surprised. If the sun is shining and the temp is enough to make mud, it's too warm. I would prefer a temp that keeps the ground frozen so I don't bring it in the cabin. hahahahaha Then, come spring, it'll dry out enough that I don't bring it in the cabin.

Right now, I am sweeping out this damn cabin 3 times a day. I track it in, dog tracks it in, somehow the entire country side ends up in my cabin.

I don't have a thermometer outside. If I put the dog out and wait 3 minutes and then have to bust him loose from the tree? It's cold.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:54 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Warm todat but it was snowing. March April we will get below zero on clear nights and snow crusted hard enough you can drive on top of it. Take the sun till late afternoon to soften the crust with temps in the 40s. Have to remember where the coat got left......

Old 03-05-2010, 08:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
Warm todat but it was snowing. March April we will get below zero on clear nights and snow crusted hard enough you can drive on top of it. Take the sun till late afternoon to soften the crust with temps in the 40s. Have to remember where the coat got left......
I'm laughing so hard I have tears running down my cheaks. I went out and checked the water for the horses and found my coat hanging on a post.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
and gloves, wool cap and silk rag, seem the all get shed from morning to afternoon....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming