Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:33 AM

704 posts, read 2,070,009 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to buy a house and have issues on both sides. Both neighbors are parking their cars on the lot. I have the plat and went out and measured.

What city or county dept. can go out and put stakes in the ground so the "most flagrant" violation of my (maybe my) parking spaces are shown the line? To get on their lot they need to park their cars about 3 feet right of where they do.

I have so little room, between their car and the pole that supports my porch roof, I can not open my car door.
Their excuse on not parking to the right, is they don't want to ruin their grass. I'm crying for them.

Who in the city-county government can mark the property lines?

I've looked every where and see no stakes. I think the reason is the house was orginally built in the back yard of the house who is using more than 65% of the 14 foot wide driveway. This was many years ago and one owner owned both. When they all moved out you then had two new owners and each should have the same amount of driveway space.

One city official told me to buy a metal detector. What a BS answer to a citizen with property right issues.

I might find a ton of metal and none of it be the stakes. There may not be any stakes.
I have the plat and it clearly tells me how many feet from my brick wall to the property line.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 11:54 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,168,875 times
You to call a licensed survey company.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
You to call a licensed survey company.

you mean the city or county offices

(or any city or county employees)

that possess the surveys and plats for the lots, don't have the power or knowledge or IQ to take my plat

(that the Clerk Of Court gave to me in front of two lawyers and says the property line in 7 feet from my brick wall)

and measure 7 feet and drive a stake with my hammer?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM

564 posts, read 1,454,884 times
Who is to say the brick wall is in the correct place? City or county is not responsible for your survey. You will need to hire a surveyor. My father just had it done and it was 275.00 and he had 4 acres.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:08 PM

259 posts, read 798,417 times
No offense, but I wouldn't want to buy that house. To start off with issues with the neighbors on both sides sounds like a nightmare.

Is this an absolute must buy??

Old 06-30-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
Who is to say the brick wall is in the correct place? City or county is not responsible for your survey. You will need to hire a surveyor. My father just had it done and it was 275.00 and he had 4 acres.
Who is to say the brick wall is in the correct place?

City or county is not responsible for your survey.
..............the wall was put where it is by a county or city surveyor.
They be idiots to contract out 100,000 county lots. If the city or county does not have any surveyors on their staff then ok....you are correct.

Then tell me why a DOT employee is coming out and will measure the driveway and confirm my findings that my lot only has 6 feet of the driveway and the house next door has 8 feet of the 14 foot driveway.
I have to drive over the curb to park, doing damage to my vehicle tires and suspension. The guy said if so, DOT will move the curb 3 feet so I have a normal driveway entrance on a city street. This does not solve the problem of the people next door parking on a lot they do not own.

When the house was built somebody created the plat that I have a copy of. It shows exactly how many feet the width of the house is. I measured it and the plat is correct to the very inch. This was created by a county or city surveyor.

Was their work accurate?
How could it be not accurate?

My lender had survey as a possible closing cost. They estimated $500.

1 acre = 43,560 square feet.

The lot is 0.07 acre, believe it or not.

I am not thinking, that to know my property lines should cost me a dime.

The city or county who created the survey and the plats
for every lot-house in the county weren't hired at Labor Finders.

Why are their documents housed in the County court house not accurate?
No surveyors work for the city or county?

If surveyors are hired to create the plats, etc when the lots are marked off and the houses built, then you are saying they all got it wrong.
Why should any of their work be questioned as accurate?

My father's deed from the year 2009, does not even give the address. It only says the precise measurements of the lot on all sides from all roads, etc.
If the documents in the court house, for all lots in the county are not accurate, why do they keep all those documents? So people can see "rough estimates".

Yes, I'm trying to get around paying someone to make sure the surveyor or county official who made this plat map, when the lot was marked off and the house built, did not make a mistake.

I may mark it off myself based on the plat given to me by the deeds office and put up a fence 3 inches on my side and if the neighbors do not like it, I'll let them hire a surveyor to prove that my plat, created by a professional, is wrong.

I'm not trying to buy 1 acre out in the woods and need my acre marked off. I need to verify the figures for an existing lot. Not sure why the county office that approves building permits, etc. can not assist a citizen on that. They use their employees to make sidewalks and streets and right of ways and they have surveyors who are county employees.

[SIZE=5] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Old 06-30-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingdown View Post
No offense, but I wouldn't want to buy that house. To start off with issues with the neighbors on both sides sounds like a nightmare.

Is this an absolute must buy??
the only issues are both neighbors are parking on someone else's lot. The guy on one side for 20 years.

They are the perfect neighbors for me and they have stated they want me to buy the house. It's a low cost foreclosure, renovated inside.

Other's have said don't buy it.
The next guy will have the same issues,
so to never sell the place does not solve the problem, it leaves the problem there.
The buyer should have total rights of ownership and use of their lot. I see no reason to suspect the deeds and plats at the court house are all wrong.
One of the neighbors, the 20 year parker is a minister and he got huffy when he asked me if I objected to him parking there, on the opppsite side and back corner. I said no, as long as I'm not liable for damage to your car.
This is a minister being a synonym of a donkey. He wants to be able to park his 3 cars side by side and his OWN lot does not allow that, so he has pulled in between his fence and the back corner of the house.
He is actually parking on 3 lots with this car. 1/3 of his car is on RH School District property, 1/3 on the lot in question, and 1/3 on his lot.
There is a tree beside his fence and that tree is on the school lot. If that tree damaged his car, they'd gladly pay for a $175 windshield and probably decide to cut the tree down.

Too bad (sad) if people find a house they want, and have to pass on it because of trespassers.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:01 PM

564 posts, read 1,454,884 times
I am not 100% sure but I think that SC is responsible for connecting driveways to state maintained roads. That is most likely why a DOT employee would be concerned about a driveway. I know they made the final connection to my friends house.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:20 PM

622 posts, read 1,783,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naeem5 View Post
I'm looking to buy a house and have issues on both sides. Both neighbors are parking their cars on the lot. I have the plat and went out and measured.

Thanks.
According to the original post......you do not own the house. You are a potential buyer. I believe your right to question the city and neighbors is very limited.

Regarding propety lines, it is the obligation of the buyer to verify the actual lines (sorry....you have to pay for a survey). It is not the obligation of the city, county, or current owner.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday30 View Post
I am not 100% sure but I think that SC is responsible for connecting driveways to state maintained roads. That is most likely why a DOT employee would be concerned about a driveway. I know they made the final connection to my friends house.
many years ago this house was built in the back yard of the house next door. Both had a Black St. address such as 900 and 900 1/2.
The driveway was built on the side street so all the family members had places for 4 cars, 14 foot wide driveway and two cars parked up front of the driveway and two behind. It was a family thing, so the occupants of the house built in the back yard had no issues. They were not going to complain to their own father they had no room to park.
Once they all moved and new owners moved in, then the city was forced to give the house is the back yard a new address. No longer 900 1/2 Black St. but their address was on the side street.
The driveway was not altered. Maybe the previous owner had one car and instead of pulling in and backing out, they preferred to park on the curb and that way no wasting their tranny with alot of reverse. Put it in drive and go forward to leave. Also, the other occupants have been paying tenants with landlords out of town, who cared less if the big house had 60% of the driveway and the other only had 40%.
Tons of cars park on the side of the curb. I have two vehicles and not enough curb for two cars. I'd prefer to park my nicer one in the drive way but when I have to park it so there is only 6 inches from the other guy's car and 6 inches from the pole that supports my porch roof, I have a tight squeeze. I'm asking DOT to give me half of the 14 foot driveway and that will require them to move the curb about 3 feet, making the driveway 17 feet, they'll keep their 8.5 feet and I'll have 8.5 too. He talked like it was a certain thing, not much of an issue.
That does not prevent the lady next door, who had a stroke and can hardly park her car straight, from parking part of her car on my lot. If I put up a fence on my lot and when she opens her door and it hits the fence, I won't be crying. She can not talk at the door due to her stroke. The son said "we don't want to park 2 feet further right because of the grass". 1/2 the car is parked on grass now. The son seemed intelligent but acted dumb when I showed him and measured the distance from the house and how his lot owned 60% of the driveway. I'll go back and speak to the father and the minister said he is very nice. I just want to let him know the facts. The new owner will have the right to put up a fence to divide the parking area. If he wants to avoid a fence, he can remove a few bricks that are in the way, let me use my shovel and rake and make it smooth and they park their two cars 2 to 2.5 feet to the right, so I can park without having to enter at a 45 degree angle or drive over the curb.

The minister is another thing.

There are people saying if you have been parking somewhere without the owner's permission

(and the out of town landlords did not give permission, just assumed permission, by not saying "move your car off my lot")

for 7 years, they have the right to keep parking there. Some easement or assumed possession law. My real estate agent thinks no judge would let someone park on someone else's lot, even though he has done that for 20 years. He'll hate me if I put up the 2 foot wide fence that is all that is needed to stop him. Or one metal pipe in the middle of the narrow space in concrete.

He might have a hot line to heaven and make a call to get me punished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties