Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times

Advertisements

Surely everyone who travels Hwy 160 from Downtown up to 521 in the 5:00 pm range has to be frustrated. There is an overabundance of cars and the traffic lights don't seem to be timed well. This has gotten worse in the past few months for some reason and it takes me forever to get home in the evenings. I hear about all of the new development and it scares the you know what out of me.

I know they are widening some of 160, but it's probably a long way off from completion. Something needs to be done....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 PM

850 posts, read 2,650,277 times
Yep. Been dealing with this for years. I hate the people that turn at Hensley road and jack the traffic back for miles.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Something needs to be done....
I think they need to add thousands of more houses to Fort Mill.

Perhaps more transplanted Long Islanders will move into the area: their cheery, sunny, disposition will really brighten up the Town.

York County officials have really missed the ball.

Their short sighted approach to planning, will affect the area for years to come.

Curiously enough, they're either unaware of their constituents wishes, or they are ignoring them.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:45 PM

It's all about the tax base..........

Old 05-04-2013, 09:48 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
It's all about the tax base..........
I've heard it said that it's all about an expanding tax base - which would make sense, if Ft Mill were a city.

The only problem is: Ft Mill isn't a city, nor will it ever become a city.

Maybe it's me, but several other towns that I am familiar with (many of them in NJ), realize that more housing = a greater tax base = greater liabilities: greater strain on resources, roads, police, schools, etc.

On a regular enough basis, I read that Tega Cay has problems treating it's sewage (inadequate facilities). Solution? Build more housing!

On a regular basis, I hear about traffic woes. Solution? Build more housing!

On a fairly regular basis, I hear about the necessity of increasing classroom space. Solution? Build more housing!

This is, at best, asinine.

And, as the children of Ft Mill homeowners grow up, and become drivers, traffic will only get worse.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:04 AM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,228 times
160 at Bi-Lo gets backed up around 4:45. That stretch all the way to the Leroy Springs Gym is slow moving. It gets slow again by Food Lion into Indian Land. Theres many factors as to why its like that.

160 is also getting really bad going from the Bi-Lo to the Harris Teeter. You get all these people trying to go left into Baxter backing everything up, plus the people coming off 77 cutting across 2 lanes to get to Baxter. Not to mention everyone going right to go to Chick-Fil-A making that right lane slow.

Im moving down 160 behind the park, and im not that thrilled with taking 160 to work, but its the best option. With 485 going under the knife, it will become more congested as people figure the shortcut out.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 AM

To your point, that stretch of 160 has gotten really congested over the last few years. Most of that traffic is heading to all the new growth in Tega Cay and the new hoods off 160 towards river gate.
Does not help that the bridge on new grey rock is closed so all the people that live behind the Walmart have only one way to their home, which is hwy 160....

Old 05-05-2013, 07:02 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
I live in Indian Land, so for instance this week coming home from the Wells Fargo Championship.....I was parked at Carowinds and there is no way in heck I am going to get on 485 at that time to head to Johnston Rd.

I went down south on 77 one exit to exit 88 (Baseball Exit) and turned left. It took me 1 hour to get from the exit down Springfield to Hwy 160 and up to the Lowes on 160 & 521. It is absolutely nerve racking.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:25 AM

396 posts, read 976,828 times
Be thankful - I used to have a 22 mile commute that took THREE hours ONE WAY. I used to get up at 4am to leave for work at 5. CDs, books and magazines kept me sane. The freeways would get jammed and there were no other routes to take. An hour commute sucks, but it could be worse. At least there is more than one way to get places here. I know it's frustrating. I do think it's nuts to build more homes here and can certainly empathize with not wanting a long commute.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by plotzonit View Post
Be thankful - I used to have a 22 mile commute that took THREE hours ONE WAY. I used to get up at 4am to leave for work at 5. CDs, books and magazines kept me sane. The freeways would get jammed and there were no other routes to take. An hour commute sucks, but it could be worse. At least there is more than one way to get places here. I know it's frustrating. I do think it's nuts to build more homes here and can certainly empathize with not wanting a long commute.
I think it's great that you made use of your time, while sitting in traffic .

I will tell you that certain parts of Fort Mill, have the very attributes that we sought to move away from.

And people wonder why we're heading out to the boonies ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties