Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:57 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times

Advertisements

Fort Mill Town Council is considering annexing 282 acres at the end of Suttonview Road. Crescent Communities is proposing 650 new homes with riverfront recreational amenities. A mini-Tega Cay or mini-Baxter on the River.

Google the 1999 Suttonview Road and you will see it is a little two lane not very well maintained road that you enter from Sutton Road.

FORT MILL: Plan could bring up to 650 more homes to Fort Mill | Business | Rock Hill Herald Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 12:12 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times
At least that traffic would probably go to Sutton Road and not the 160 exit.

Old 12-18-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
At least that traffic would probably go to Sutton Road and not the 160 exit.
Yes the traffic can get to I-77 via Sutton Road. Harris Road will get to Fort Mill or old Hwy 21. I haven't been on Sutton Road in a long time. Is it still two lanes to I-77 and Harris Road?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:16 PM

186 posts, read 335,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Yes the traffic can get to I-77 via Sutton Road. Harris Road will get to Fort Mill or old Hwy 21. I haven't been on Sutton Road in a long time. Is it still two lanes to I-77 and Harris Road?
Yes.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:53 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
This is fantastic!

If the economy improves, we'll get thousands of more residents with all of these houses - and the traffic and other infrastructure liabilities that come with expansion.

If the economy tanks - and if what some have been predicting comes to fruition - we'll then have a glut of housing. People will be upside down in their mortgages. And home values will come tumbling down.

Seems like a win-win situation for Fort Mill residents.

There is, of course, another alternative: hold back on building. Already hundreds, if not thousands, of houses are in the process of being built, or plan on being built. Why not take the cautious route, until everything else catches up?

Old 12-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Ahhh Ha ... this land, at least 274 acres of it belongs to the York County Culture & Heritage Foundation. Jane Spratt McColl, sister of John Spratt and wife of Hugh McColl, donated 400 acres to the York County C&H Foundation in 1998. She said she wanted the land to be used for green space and as the site for a new museum.

YORK COUNTY: Banking records on York Co. museum land deal subpoenaed | Featured Stories | Rock Hill Herald Online

FORT MILL: Lawmakers want access to documents for York Co. museums project | Featured Stories | Rock Hill Herald Online

Plans for new museum along Catawba River are scrapped | Featured Stories | Rock Hill Herald Online

The Culture & Heritage Foundation sold 20 acres of the donated land to Carolina Health Care for the new Fort Mill hospital location. York County has a legal battle going on now for ownership of the donated land. The County filed the lawsuit in June of this year.

I have never understood why the Catawba Indians are not concerned as preliminary work on that project found evidence of a Catawba Indian village and burial ground on the site. Catawba Chief says the proposed Crescent community has the blessings of the tribe.

FORT MILL: Land at center of York County museum lawsuit to be sold for new homes | Local News | Rock Hill Herald Online

Crescent Communities plans 650-home subdivision along the Catawba River in Fort Mill - Charlotte Business Journal

Will be interesting to see what happens, York County suing the C & H Foundation, Crescent owned by Duke Energy and Fort Mill City Council considering annexing the land.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Y2S

8 posts, read 14,747 times
[quote=Will be interesting to see what happens, York County suing the C & H Foundation, Crescent owned by Duke Energy and Fort Mill City Council considering annexing the land. [/quote]

Duke Energy no longer owns any part of Crescent Resources. They sold their remaining stock to Morgan-Stanley.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2S View Post
Duke Energy no longer owns any part of Crescent Resources. They sold their remaining stock to Morgan-Stanley.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Did the Duke sale include all the Catawba River properties that Duke owned and sold through Crescent?

Old 12-26-2013, 12:11 PM
Y2S

8 posts, read 14,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Thanks, I didn't know that. Did the Duke sale include all the Catawba River properties that Duke owned and sold through Crescent?
Unsure about what "properties" they own in that particular strip, but I am specifically referring to their vested interest in Community Resources. That no longer exists.

On another completely different note ... when I found out that many of these properties are part of an old Indian burial ground, I have to be quite honest and say I'm shocked that anyone would want to risk building on that property. Whether one believes or not, we cannot dispute history, and I would never risk building a home on old Indian burial land --- Catawba Indian approval or not. Historically, it causes many unexplained issues.

Maybe it's just me.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2S View Post
Unsure about what "properties" they own in that particular strip, but I am specifically referring to their vested interest in Community Resources. That no longer exists.

On another completely different note ... when I found out that many of these properties are part of an old Indian burial ground, I have to be quite honest and say I'm shocked that anyone would want to risk building on that property. Whether one believes or not, we cannot dispute history, and I would never risk building a home on old Indian burial land --- Catawba Indian approval or not. Historically, it causes many unexplained issues.

Maybe it's just me.

Not just you. I wouldn't want a home or play on a tennis court, swim in a pool built on an old Indian burial ground either.

In 2011 the Catawba Indian Nation, state history and archaeology officials and York County's museum foundation reached an agreement about how best to protect land on the Catawba River that is home to two known 18th century tribal villages.

The agreement was signed that will ensure existing and yet undiscovered archaeological sites on the property at Sutton Road and Interstate 77 in Fort Mill Township are protected if the land is developed,

Artifacts have already been found on the property and are the property of the Catawba Indian Nation. Many already unearthed are in safe keeping at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill.

For whatever reason Catawba Chief Bill Harris says the proposed Crescent community has the blessings of the tribe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties