Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 03:56 PM

73 posts, read 85,654 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Been down a few times already to look at homes for a relocation coming up. I really liked a few neighborhoods around the new Elementary school on Harrisburg Rd. I like the thought of being in Indian Land that close to Ballantyne. What worries me is Indian Land Middle and High School. I know that they may have an overcrowding issue with those two due to the population growth. With that said, I have been looking also in Union County (Marvin, Waxhaw) and they seem to have a lot of good schools and the taxes are not that much higher. Can anyone give any input on the future of Indian Land and their schools. Our budget is around $300 to $440.000. My heart is telling me Indian Land but because of schools and possible crowding issues my brain is telling me Union County. Thanks in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 05:32 PM

112 posts, read 173,215 times
You really can't go wrong with either. Being so close to Ballantyne is def a huge benefit of being in Indian Land in addition to the relatively low SC (Lancaster Co) taxes.

Regarding schools, there is a new Elementary school as you mentioned above. The middle school is very highly rated. And it seems the district has plan to address the needs of the very fast growing panhandle of Lancaster Co.

If you decide on IL, you may want to check out Bridgemill. You may be able to find something in there within your budget.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:13 PM

Thank you Worldclasscity. Will be down in two more weeks and will def look at Bridgemill.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:52 PM

29 posts, read 43,693 times
In both areas that you are looking you will be dealing with the same growing pains. Union County had major issues last year with parents protesting etc. because their kids were being pulled from Cuthbertson schools to go to Sun Valley and Parkwood. Waxhaw/Marvin was dealing with the same thing because kids were being pulled from their schools to go to others that parents felt were less desirable. The two areas you are looking are both in dire need of the counties to step up and be progressive enough to get ahead of the growth rather than trying to play catch up. They're the ones approving the building so it shouldn't be any shock that the schools are bursting at the seams. Harrisburg is nice and new but at year two is already at capacity. I've heard rumor that due to Indian Land/Harrisburg being so overcrowded that they were going to bus anyone South of Jim Wilson to Lancaster. If this happens Lancaster County will deal with the same uprising Union County did last year. There seems to be little to no planning for infrastructure when they approve all these new housing developments. We live in Indian Land and love it but Lancaster is taking the money being brought in by the major growth in IL and distributing it around the whole county. My oldest starts school next year so it should be interesting to experience what I have been hearing all the other parents dealing and complaining about lately.
I would honestly look at Fort Mill, they really seem to have it together and actually seem to be planning the expansion of the school district to accommodate the added growth. We made the error in thinking that IL was part of Fort Mill Schools. It wasn't until after we started building that we realized the error we made but even still IL does seem to be in slightly better shape than Union County. For now anyway, there seems to be some new housing projects in the horizon that could make things a lot worse. We were in Union County and were moving due to our oldest getting close to going to school and wanting to get the kids into better schools. We started looking in Waxhaw/Weddington but once all the talks of rezoning the schools started we decided to cross the border into SC. We live within a mile of the IL schools campus so I am at least hoping we won't ever be rezoned being so close but you can never be too sure. Lawson which is about the same distance to Cuthbertson has kids being bused to ParkWood. I would certainly entertain Fort Mill as mentioned earlier.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:24 PM

Wow, Thanks Lad24der. Thanks for all the feedback. We are looking to build on the northern end of Indian Land. If we go that direction I hope being that far north would eliminate us from being bused to Lancaster. I have been going by the stats on Great Schools as a source for schools. Indian Land and most the schools in Union County have good scores and Lancaster does not. My son is in the third grade and has been in Catholic schools all along. Since kindergarten the class sizes have been 36 students. So with the average down there being 18:1 it would be a upgrade regarding class size. With that said, Lancaster is not an option and would have no problem continuing private. I like Fort Mill and have not thrown it out the window yet, but we were really hoping to be 5 or 10 min from Ballantyne. After driving in rush hours for twenty some years it would just be really nice to avoid it for once. Looks like I really have to continue to do my homework. Thanks again for the great feedback...

Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 PM

23 posts, read 41,135 times
Agree with LAD24DER above. All surrounding areas are dealing with their own issues related to the explosive growth. Staying North of IL seems like a good plan if you are serious about IL area. Sounds like schools are very important to you if you are going Private right now.

Union County just released that road expansion is not planned for the next 6-10 years (crowding concerns), school Rezoning might be problematic for the long-term. I sense the UCPS Board is constantly under stress and has a lot of internal issues as well.

Fort Mill is pre-planning for the growth expected for the next 10 years. They recently passed a $227M Bond. On a comparison basis, FM middle & HS are better rated than IL's. Certain parts of FM are actually not that far from IL, may want to see more areas to get a better sense.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:04 PM

Thank you MKplus3. I have decided to look further into Fort Mill. We will be down next week and now are planning to include it in our searches. In a perfect world I would have the perfect house, perfect school and be 5 minutes from work, lol. Thanks again..

Old 09-15-2015, 04:12 PM

625 posts, read 488,519 times
I work in Ballantyne and it takes me 10 - 15 minutes to get to work from Fort Mill. We live in the NE corner of Fort Mill near Indian Land and Pineville.
I recommend looking into Regent Park, Springfield and Regal Manor. I live in the Fallbrook section of Regal Manor. There are a few neighborhoods that are part of Regal Manor: Fallbrook, Stanton Heights, Stafford Oaks, Adler Grove are among them.
Our neighborhood feeds to Sugar Creek Elementary School, which is right in the neighborhood about a mile away, Fort Mill Middle School and Nation Ford High School (ranked #5 in the state of SC).

Old 09-16-2015, 04:44 PM

Thank you for the info njcoqui. We are coming down this weekend and have added Fort Mill and some neighborhoods that you have metioned to see.

Old 06-28-2018, 02:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,471 times
Can you please share what you decided on. I am in the same boat and I am very confused between Marvin, IL and FM? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties