Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 07:22 PM

43 posts, read 75,998 times

Advertisements

Hi,

As you may have read my previous post "Best Subdivision in Fort Mill, Please help!", I am visiting Fort Mill with my family next week. We want to see the area du to the fact we may be moving here and we want to get a feel for the neighborhoods, way of life and things to do.

I would like you suggestions, feedback, anything you can offer us so we can maximize our week their to have fun and see if we like it.

We are doing the following:

Can any tell us the best place to rent Jet Ski to drive in Lake Wylie.
Any suggestions for must see or do in Charlotte?
Any restaurants to eat at in Fort Mill or Charlotte
We are going to Carowinds, any suggestions?
Taking the kids zip lining
Would we be able to visits the schools? I believe the kids are back in school?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 07:39 PM

625 posts, read 489,332 times
Go to Carowinds during a weekday, much less crowded. Go early, do the rides in the AM, water park in the PM, the water park is opened until 6 PM.
Hobos in downtown Fort Mill / Main Street has great burgers and "adult" milkshakes. You can grab a bite then walk around the downtown Fort Mill area and Walter Elisha park with the kids.
White Water Center in Charlotte has lots of activities -- I've never been there but I've heard great things from those that have gone there.
Teachers are in the schools this week, schools are open, but classes don't start until Thursday. You may be able to visit and ask to look around, I'm not sure what the policy is on that.
Enjoy your trip!

Old 08-15-2017, 06:16 AM

186 posts, read 335,214 times
My suggestion for a place to eat would be Local Dish on Main Street. It is a hole in the wall type of place with great food.

Psy

Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM

73 posts, read 91,736 times
Definitely, would try some local BBQ - 521 BBQ has locations in Tega Cay (Fort Mill) and in nearby Indian Land. Our kids in the Fort Mill area are starting school this week and I'm sure you could set up a visit.

If you're renting a vehicle but would like to avoid worrying about parking I can't more highly recommend picking up the Lynx Line (South St in Pineville is where we usually get on) and ride it uptown. We usually go all the way to 7th Street, hit the 7th Street Market and then head over to Epicenter for a great view of the city. Great NY style (or at least as close as you're going to get) right in Epicenter as well as other food options.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, just to give all an update. We arrived here on Monday morning from NY (took 9:30 drive) at 8:30 am. We were tired but hungry so we went to a place the real estate agent suggested, Famous Toastery. The food was fantastic!!! Our waitress happened to be from NY who moved here 9 years ago. Very friendly and avtually gave her her phone number to call her if we had any questions. Wow! What a class act!! She said the best thing she's ever done was move here.
Than we took some long naps. Than drove around a little seen Brayden and Baxter. Both places very nice but coming from NY, I think I want a little more space between houses. Funny thing happened while driving around, everyone we passed someone on the street they waved. My kids couldn't believe how friendly everyone is here. It's so refreshing to see people being nice and friendly. Made an impression on my kids, which is great.
When to dinner at Hobos and again that was again fantastic.

Tuesday we spent the entire day at US National Whitewater center in Charlotte. Kids has a blast. They never did the outdoors activities. Than the Fish Market for dinner.

Wednesday is looking for houses in many different subdivisions. Springfield, Trinity Ridge, Bridgemill and a few others. We'll see how that works out.

So far, so great!!!

Keep the suggestions coming. Here till Sunday!!
Thanks.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:54 AM

218 posts, read 523,254 times
I'll wave if I see you driving around Springfield May want to also check out the Riverwalk in Rock Hill (short drive south on 77 or down Hwy 21.) It's a nice walking path along the Catawba River. The Pump House is a great restaurant to check out while there. There's also Legal Remedy Brewing in Rock Hill that is a great place.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your stay.
Also being from the NE (NJ and NY) we were sometimes taken aback by how friendly everyone is here -- everyone starts a conversation, even the cashiers. Most times it's nice, but sometimes I'm in a hurry and the NYer in me comes out

I know what you mean about houses being too close. I suggest checking out my neighborhood -- Fallbrook, it's behind Springfield. I'm not sure when you're looking to buy. Currently there's one house for sale at $430K (houses sell really fast in our neighborhood). Our houses are a little further apart than what's becoming the norm around here. Springfield has some nice options of houses further apart, but those tend to be in the higher price range in that neighborhood. The section with houses by Lennar start in the 300s and are closer together.

Glas you liked Hobos, I also suggest The Flipside Cafe. It's near Regent Park. That's another area that you should look into. Since it's an "older" neighborhood you have areas where the lots are bigger than what's being built now.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 AM

To add, another neighborhood you may want to look into is Stanton Heights. Houses range from the mid to high 400s - 700K and their lots are on average 1/2 an acre. The homes are full brick homes built by SONI. They are beautiful high quality homes. It's a great neighborhood -- their neighborhood abuts Fallbrook (my backyard touches the backyards from homes in that neighborhood).

Old 08-17-2017, 11:34 AM

31 posts, read 43,535 times
We moved here from NY two years ago and did exactly what you guys are doing. So smart to spend the time in the area. Check out homes in Masons Bend and Sutton Place. We purchased in Sutton place and we couldn't be happier. We also love how many NY's have moved here. Gives a little flavor of the north to us transplants. If you want to try the best bagel in the area head over to the Tega Cay Deli. It will give you an idea of what's available GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Thanks again for everyone so feedback and suggestions!

Yesterday, we spent the entire day with a real estate agent going to see different houses and subdivisions. There is still a lot for us to do in NY (fixing our house to sell, probably letting my kids finish this school year) if we decide to move.

Well, the update is everyone of my kids as well and me and my wife love it.
We visited Springfield, Trinity Ridge, The Forrest at Fort Mill, Bridge mill, Huntington farms, Baxter, Brayden.

I really liked Springfield, as my daughter said "it's like living at a resort"
The bigger more expensive more spread out houses are really nice.
I spoke with the event coordinator and they always have something going on. It's really cool.

My wife feel in love with a house at the forest at fort mill. Seems like a really nice neighborhood.

I honestly liked all the neighborhoods. I think Baxter is a little too tight for us especially coming from NY. But it's little town center is cool.
Brayden has so much construction and we wouldnorobably pass in that.
Loved the houses in Bridgemill but that is in Indian Land and not the fort mill schools. Again, I need to lean more about those schools.
We are struggling with the do we chose a house with Ammenities (Springfield) or a subdivision with none.

Our realtor says don't worry about that as neighborhoods that don't have that still do a lot of things through their own Facebook page.
Plus the town of fort mill has many things to do as well.

I really don't know??!! Lol. I think I like the idea of the club house and pool, tennis courts, basketball etc... people meet up thier and get to know each other...right??

If you guys can give me your opinion on ammentites subdivision vs no ammenities (no pool).
Should I worry about that when trying to make friends being that my family is new to SC?

Today, was Carowinds... fun. Like Great Adventure in NJ.
Big difference, 15 mins drive vs 2 hours!!
Kids had a great time.

Thanks again all for taking the time to post!

Oh, tomorrow. Lake Norman, rented a jet ski!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties