Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:56 AM

33 posts, read 61,160 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone,

Last weekend was our first official visit to the Charlotte area to put our relocation plans in action.

Spent 2 full days touring Fort Mill, Indian Land and at our Realtor's insistence Union County. Loved the area and we are all looking forward to our move!!

We have completely ruled out Union County. With 13 and 9 year old sons I simply don't want to move into the Union County school district in the middle of all the redistricting turmoil. I still believe the schools are good there - but simply moving in and of itself is enough stress and drama - I don't need any addition school related drama!!

We came away absolutely loving the Bridgemill development. Could absolutely see our family living here - my husband insists on a 3 car garage which most houses have there and they are not sitting on top of their neighbors like many developments in our price range in FM. Also loved the amenities - as I feel strongly that a community pool is a must. However we are not fully sold on the IL school district. However although I feel that the IL schools are likely very good I am still having reservations about the district. Also I do not like the idea of turning in and out of the development every day from 521.

The developments which appealed to us in FM were Springfield, the new David Weekley section in Massey and we also liked The Forest at Fort Mill and the Standard Pacific new builds in Eppington - but really wished they had more amenities.

We have decided that we now want to expand our search into the Clover School District. My husband will be working in Ballantyne - but he does not mind the longer commute.

Unfortunately we did not get a chance to tour the Lake Wylie area. My husband will be spending a week in Charlotte next month - so I will be sending him to tour the Lake Wylie area. I have heard great things about the Clover school district and it appears that we will be able to get a little bit more breathing room there.

What neighborhoods should we check out? We would ideally like less than an acre (.5 would be ideal), a 3 car garage, basement would be awesome - but would settle for a large bonus room. We would really prefer city/county water and sewer. Not all that comfortable with the idea of a well or septic system. Mainly because we haven't had to deal with these before and they are slightly out of our comfort zone. Would love to find a neighborhood with a pool and other amenities. Basically really wanting a family friendly community where my boys can quickly make friends. As far as price range we would like to be in the 400's but could stretch to the low 500's for the perfect house.

How is the retail in Lake Wylie - for example how far will I be from the nearest grocery store or Target?

If we cannot find a community with a pool what are our other options - local YMCA or rec center? Nearby Country Club?

Thanks in advance for you help! This forum has been such an amazing resource!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 01:34 PM
AVA

129 posts, read 321,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioVolFan View Post
Greetings everyone,

Last weekend was our first official visit to the Charlotte area to put our relocation plans in action.

Spent 2 full days touring Fort Mill, Indian Land and at our Realtor's insistence Union County. Loved the area and we are all looking forward to our move!!

We have completely ruled out Union County. With 13 and 9 year old sons I simply don't want to move into the Union County school district in the middle of all the redistricting turmoil. I still believe the schools are good there - but simply moving in and of itself is enough stress and drama - I don't need any addition school related drama!!

We came away absolutely loving the Bridgemill development. Could absolutely see our family living here - my husband insists on a 3 car garage which most houses have there and they are not sitting on top of their neighbors like many developments in our price range in FM. Also loved the amenities - as I feel strongly that a community pool is a must. However we are not fully sold on the IL school district. However although I feel that the IL schools are likely very good I am still having reservations about the district. Also I do not like the idea of turning in and out of the development every day from 521.

The developments which appealed to us in FM were Springfield, the new David Weekley section in Massey and we also liked The Forest at Fort Mill and the Standard Pacific new builds in Eppington - but really wished they had more amenities.

We have decided that we now want to expand our search into the Clover School District. My husband will be working in Ballantyne - but he does not mind the longer commute.

Unfortunately we did not get a chance to tour the Lake Wylie area. My husband will be spending a week in Charlotte next month - so I will be sending him to tour the Lake Wylie area. I have heard great things about the Clover school district and it appears that we will be able to get a little bit more breathing room there.

What neighborhoods should we check out? We would ideally like less than an acre (.5 would be ideal), a 3 car garage, basement would be awesome - but would settle for a large bonus room. We would really prefer city/county water and sewer. Not all that comfortable with the idea of a well or septic system. Mainly because we haven't had to deal with these before and they are slightly out of our comfort zone. Would love to find a neighborhood with a pool and other amenities. Basically really wanting a family friendly community where my boys can quickly make friends. As far as price range we would like to be in the 400's but could stretch to the low 500's for the perfect house.

How is the retail in Lake Wylie - for example how far will I be from the nearest grocery store or Target?

If we cannot find a community with a pool what are our other options - local YMCA or rec center? Nearby Country Club?

Hi! I've been waiting for your report! So glad it went well! I'll be checking out the Lake Wylie/Clover area the w/e of march 7th so I'll definitely let you know my thoughts on it! But from all my research online, it's my favorite area

Old 02-25-2014, 03:47 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
Quote:
Greetings everyone,

Sorry I can't help you with the neighborhoods but I can let you know; grocery shopping in Lake Wylie is no problem at all. In addition in the spring and summer months you will find roadside stands with locally grown vegetables and fruit (strawberries & peaches.) Lake Wylie has it's own Walmart, Lowe's and every fast food restaurant that has ever flipped a burger, fried a piece of chicken, threw together a sub or delivered a pizza. Going north on Hwy 49 you will find RiverGate Shopping Center with a Super Target store and across the road Steele Creek Crossing with a pharmacy, restaurants and a Good Will store.

RiverGate | Shopping and Dining

I am sure another member will provide you with neighborhood suggestions. I just know you will not find shopping a problem and Clover/Lake Wylie schools are good too.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:17 PM

31 posts, read 43,549 times
I'm not really sure who all has city water and sewer because none of my friends who live in Lake Wylie have that, we're all well and septic. It's really no big deal. This is our first house with it and it's easy to figure out.

I think the best thing to do, which is what we did, is go to allentate.com, as they have a great property search. Go to Property Search, Advanced Search, South Carolina Charlotte Region, then select Lake Wylie area and enter your requirements.

I believe our YMCA doesn't have a pool but the one in York does, just a short drive. YMCA at Carolina Crossing « Upper Palmetto YMCA

Old 02-26-2014, 01:54 AM

I agree with bbbbmom we have a well and septic tank and we have never had any problems. Also you won't find many houses with basements, that might be hard to find but I have seen listings with bonus rooms.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 AM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:

Retail in Lake Wylie is fair, and expanding.

Lake Wylie has a grocery store (soon to be two, with the addition of the new Publix); CVS & Walgreens; Walmart; Auto Zone, and Lowe's Home Improvement.

Dining options are somewhat limited, but this will improve, as more folks come into the area.

Plus, Rivergate in Charlotte is a short drive away, where you can find Target, Best Buy, Books A Million, etc.

Next time you're here, check out McDowell park in nearby Charlotte NC.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:38 AM

841 posts, read 2,474,819 times
I don't think Lake Wylie has any subdivisions comparable to BridgeMill - unless you go over the bridge into Charlotte and look into the Palisades subdivision (but you won't be w/ the Clover District). If you definitely want Lake Wylie - I've heard good things about River Hills. The area is growing...there is a Walmart, Walgreens, Lowe's, several fast food places, car wash, churches, supermarkets, doctor/dentist offices, orthodontist, gyms, YMCA, Bowling, etc...and more coming. The schools are definitely good - I have 2 girls in HS and they love it. One thing we're definitely lacking is good restaurants!!! Besides fast food, there is nothing around there to eat. The few restaurants we have, I've heard nothing good about. There is one new place that opened up a few months ago - a Japanese Steakhouse...I haven't been there, but I heard it's ok.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:35 PM

33 posts, read 61,160 times
Thanks for all the replies! Good to realize that we are close to groceries and the boys will have lots of fast food to choose from and most importantly pizza delivery will be readily available! LOVE the prospect of the fresh fruit from roadside stands!! Yummm!!! I am very happy to hear that a Publix is going in as well.

Also appreciate the reassurance that Septic and Wells shouldn't cause us to panic! My research has shown that the developments are probably evenly split between county water and sewer and well/septic. We've come to accept that we will likely not have a basement - so we are purging like crazy!!

I've heard great things about the schools. Can anyone tell me the average class size for elementary students - specifically Crowder's Creek (because most of the homes I have been pulling up appear to be assigned to Crowder's Creek) Currently my 3rd grader has 32 kids in his class!!! I would love to know that he would likely have a smaller class next year. I honestly don't know how one teacher (with no assistant) can effectively teach 32 students!!

Also nice to know there is a Super Target close by! Any idea how long it takes to get there?

Speaking of commute times - my husband's office is in Ballentyne. I have heard everything from "the traffic will be horrible and it will take him an hour" to "it's really not bad and he will be going against traffic" I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in the middle :-)

Thanks again for all the help. We will be down with the family at the beginning of April to house hunt. Meanwhile my husband will be here in 2 weeks so I will be sending him down to do some preliminary scouting!

Old 02-26-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Also nice to know there is a Super Target close by! Any idea how long it takes to get there?
If you google map the area, try Blucher Circle, Lake Wylie SC to Steele Creek Road, Charlotte NC and you will see it's 6.2 miles to Super Target. You will see the river on the map, one side is South Carolina and the other side is North Carolina (actually the state line is right in the middle of the river.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,661 times
The lake wylie area is a great area to live. We moved to massey, in the David weekely section, last August and love the neighborhood. There are plenty of kids and amenities as well. The forest was crossed off our list early as they had no amenities at all. The only issue with living here in massey is that the closest target or walmart is a bit of drive, but nothing that would keep us from moving here. Lake wylie has an amazing development called The Landing. It was our dream neighborhood and we almost bought two separate homes there but could not agree on a price. You can find a home in there anywhere from 800,000 to 350,000. It is a 30 second drive to walmart or lowes too. Next time toy are in town, I suggest you take a drive through that community. The target from there is about 10 minutes down the road in steele creek. I think the clover schools are rated number teo if the state, fort mill is the number one rated South Carolina school system. Massey is much closer to ballantyne than lake wylie. Depending on time of day, that ride from lake wylie to ballantyne could take anywhere up to an hour with traffic. Bridgemill is an awesome development, but the build time was too long for us and a little node than we wanted to spend. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties