Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the blue text in post #1 a good definition of a personal attack?
Yes 5 15.15%
No 28 84.85%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:42 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,094,330 times

Advertisements

As I've learned actually having listed infractions and whom I was addressing is an infraction in itself. And there are some masters of baiting out there.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:44 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,337,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Compared to other websites and forums (private and public), CD is quite civil, wouldn't you agree?

I still don't understand how posters can not understand what a personal attack looks like. The very definition is personal.

Compiling a list would be futile - can't cover all the variations.

And the ones left out would be a basis for appeal.
Actually, no I don't agree. CD is neither more or less civil than other public forums. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement when it comes to tweaking TOS here or elsewhere. (Private forums don't count in this discussion in my opinion because they are usually by invitation only and thus don't attract a cross-section of society.)

I do agree that a list cannot cover all the variations of insults and personal attacks nor should it try to do that. But I see no down side to including 20-25 well chosen and commonly used examples in the TOS. The TOS are only words on a screen i.e. if the moderators tried expanding their paragraph on personal attacks for awhile and found it helped or hindered their jobs it would be a worthwhile experiment. If the tweak didn't help make their jobs easier it's simple enough to delete what was added.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,031,648 times
Quote:
I didn't intend to post at this thread again but will respond to this one last direct question. My statement is not about personal attacks or flaming actually happening on this thread.
My bad, gotcha.

But still, it would be nice if the OP would have explained her rules and thoughts with more clarity.

I guess that is why this is not a democracy.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Actually, no I don't agree. CD is neither more or less civil than other public forums. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement when it comes to tweaking TOS here or elsewhere. (Private forums don't count in this discussion in my opinion because they are usually by invitation only and thus don't attract a cross-section of society.)

I do agree that a list cannot cover all the variations of insults and personal attacks nor should it try to do that. But I see no down side to including 20-25 well chosen and commonly used examples in the TOS. The TOS are only words on a screen i.e. if the moderators tried expanding their paragraph on personal attacks for awhile and found it helped or hindered their jobs it would be a worthwhile experiment. If the tweak didn't help make their jobs easier it's simple enough to delete what was added.
I see no harm there.

But really, it is the "gray" area that provides the problems, not for the Mods imho, who do a very good job, but for those who can't refrain from violating TOS.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:52 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,337,149 times
Quote:
I see no harm there.

But really, it is the "gray" area that provides the problems, not for the Mods imho, who do a very good job, but for those who can't refrain from violating TOS.
All of life is a gray area. That's what makes it so interesting. But I acknowledge that this is a matter of opinion.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Just FYI: I already received 9 reports of personal attacks in this very thread.
And I take it none of those posts reported were actual PA's?

Would it be instructive to list a few (absent names) to demonstrate how they weren't deemed to be a PA by the mods?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:06 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,273,240 times
Doesn't it seem that, if the moderators didn't already recognize the obvious examples Katiana gave as personal attacks, then maybe they wouldn't be qualified to be moderators?
I'd like to think they're all a bit smarter than that.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:08 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,606,180 times
Quote:
And I take it none of those posts reported were actual PA's?

Would it be instructive to list a few (absent names) to demonstrate how they weren't deemed to be a PA by the mods?
I like Marka's stance and think it should be left to the imagination! It's rather telling really and I see a lesson in it. I will add that none of the reports came from me!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,279,559 times
And one more remainder: this is where you can list examples of personal attacks. It's still not the place to whine about a particular moderator or specific infractions.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:12 AM

13,416 posts, read 28,797,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I like Marka's stance and think it should be left to the imagination! It's rather telling really and I see a lesson in it. I will add that none of the reports came from me!
nor I lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum