Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the blue text in post #1 a good definition of a personal attack?
Yes 5 15.15%
No 28 84.85%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:41 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,604,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Since CD is a privately held board censorship is allowed and practiced with abandon.

Their business , their rules, don't like it......then leave.
I clearly don't have a problem with their current rules!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Personal attack...meaning making it about the poster/op.

An example, "you're on here all day long......, all you do on here all day long is bash obama........all you do on here all day long is bait people.........don't you have a family/kids to care for instead of being on here all day long".

Now, is that a personal attack to you?

Yes. I didn't say it.

Why are you trying to dictate new rules for that, considering this is a thread about the definition of a PA?

I'm not trying to dictate new rules. I'm just saying, no matter how you quote someone, if you quote someone else's words, you are quoting that person.

So....addressing an individual poster under your definition would be a PA?

To use your example about Obama, no. I do not want to make this thread an argument about the examples. It's an exercise in futility.

Has nothing to do with what you posted, telling people how to quote another poster.

I'm not telling anyone how to quote. See above.

You didn't. I gave specific examples for your second second of definitions, which you have not addressed.

I'd like to stay out of this as much as possible. Please respect that.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,023,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You are right that the TOS can't include all the attacks and insults used on a message board. And there will always be gray areas that will require the judgment call of a moderator. However, there are also a lot of very common and repetitive insults used on this site---you listed yourself. I'll bet if the moderators kept track of the insults they hand out infractions for over a period of a few months, they'd come up with a very concise and helpful list of frequently used insults and attacks to include in the TOS as examples of personal attacks. As I said before, this isn't adding more rules, it's just clarifying one of the rules already being enforced.
Answer this:

Quote:
An example, "you're on here all day long......, all you do on here all day long is bash obama........all you do on here all day long is bait people.........don't you have a family/kids to care for instead of being on here all day long".

Now, is that a personal attack to you?
What is so hard about recognizing when you (collective) are calling someone a name?

Are you going to list every possible variation that would be deemed name calling? Why even start a list? Keep adding to it as the Mods think of new name calling terms?

Name calling is just that...it needs no list.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I thought red was only for mods?! Or could control be part of the agenda?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,991,693 times
Quote:
And what if a word is not on the list?

Are you really saying that people don't understand a derogatory, insulting comments when they see it?

I'm more of the mind that they do indeed know it but just can't help themselves from saying, either because of immaturity, lack of self control or they get too, too emotional and lose it.
The words "not limited to" are in there to take care of that. I have reported many a post that has not been removed that contained those very words, due to "moderator discretion". The mods still have the option to deem a post not offensive and leave it, depending on their interpretation of the context.

Re: the suicide issue Wayland brought up, I, too, have seen too many people make light of suicide issues on these boards and have had the same thoughts. I asked the Colorado mod to close a thread one time b/c of that.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yes. I didn't say it.
Some were shocked it was a personal attack though.

Quote:
I'm not trying to dictate new rules. I'm just saying, no matter how you quote someone, if you quote someone else's words, you are quoting that person.
Really?

Quote:
To use your example about Obama, no. I do not want to make this thread an argument about the examples. It's an exercise in futility.
What??

You gave a list of "rules" to define a personal attack. A very vague and ambiguous list. I gave examples that might fit your list and you can't even tell us if that is what you had in mind? I would agree with you then about the exercise in futility.

Quote:
I'd like to stay out of this as much as possible. Please respect that.
What?? Why? You started the thread with a list of changes you would like to see. Instead of clarifying and giving examples and answers, you want to stay out of it? Again, why?

Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I clearly don't have a problem with their current rules!
Most don't. Most get along just fine. Most abide by the mods wishes and the TOS by not responding to PA, insults, which then creates a heck of a mess in the threads.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The words "not limited to" are in there to take care of that. I have reported many a post that has not been removed that contained those very words, due to "moderator discretion". The mods still have the option to deem a post not offensive and leave it, depending on their interpretation of the context.

Re: the suicide issue Wayland brought up, I, too, have seen too many people make light of suicide issues on these boards and have had the same thoughts. I asked the Colorado mod to close a thread one time b/c of that.
With all due respect Katiana (and I don't cross paths with you, so don't know of the situations you allude to) it sounds like you're trying to police the boards and micro manage the moderating!

Old 06-28-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Most don't. Most get along just fine. Most abide by the mods wishes and the TOS by not responding to PA, insults, which then creates a heck of a mess in the threads.
Agreed and therefore I don't know why we don't have MORE NO VOTES!
I think it's even anonymous to other cders?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:05 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,334,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
Agreed and therefore I don't know why we don't have MORE NO VOTES!
I think it's even anonymous to other cders?
I don't think this poll is getting a lot of votes because many of us agree with the first part of the poll question and not the second part, thus making it impossible to cast a clear vote. It's also not a black and white issue to many people and should have included the poll answer of 'not sure' for those who wanted to read this discussion without deciding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum