Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the blue text in post #1 a good definition of a personal attack?
Yes 5 15.15%
No 28 84.85%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,167,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
She was on and off the thread, declined to post examples after several requests cause she wanted to "stay out of it" (?) and then proceeded to add on a "suggestion" to how people should quote a post.

I have given examples that seem to apply to her "rules", yes she has declined to clarify and add some of her own that are directly related to the second portion of her "rules", which are vague, to say the least.
"She" is back, and does not appreciate an attempt to say "she" was telling people how to quote a post. "She" in fact, clarified what "she" meant several times over.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:15 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,347,698 times
Quote:
Isn't that their right? Just like others make light of the destruction obama is doing? Who are you to ask a thread be closed just because you don't like the topic? See, that's the difference between the what the mods do here and what you're advocating, which is censorship based on a whim and personal preference or politics. I'm sure there are many threads that don't meet with the mods personal preference, but they don't let their politics and personal opinions get in the way of people being able to express their views.

Now we finally get to the crux of the matter.

Sounds like you would like to dictate the content of threads and do away with ones that don't meet you're approval.

The mods here do an excellent job, especially in the PoC forum, where you will see a very diverse list of threads, whose contents reflect the society at large.

Who makes the list? Do they keep adding to it?

If people like Wayland don't report PA against her, why even have a list?
How is it anyone's "right" to make light of suicidal posts and going so far as to encourage someone to do it? Are you aware that websites have been sued for allowing members to do that? I've spent more time than I care to think about evaluating the sincerity of suicidal posters so I could determine if the website I worked for needed to track down the poster's local police department to do an intervention. Maybe 'free speech' makes it okay in your mind to allow posters to "make light" of situations like that, but this is one area where I much prefer that ethnics and social responsibility put TOS in place to cover that kind of reckless free speech. And, yes, we did routinely close down suicide threads when mean-spirited posters came on who were hurting rather than helping. When a thread is a life or death situation, asking for it to be closed as the OP to this thread did is not unreasonable at all!

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 06-28-2010 at 10:51 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 PM

18,968 posts, read 11,651,162 times
Quote:
I have given examples that seem to apply to her "rules", yes she has declined to clarify and add some of her own that are directly related to the second portion of her "rules", which are vague, to say the least.
Ya, I'm pretty sure she conceded something about that second section too. I don't really "get" it. I mean - I understand that she's trying to show all the different ways someone could quote a post...but it just seems superfluous to me. Then again, as I said a couple other times, so maybe this'll be the last (maybe)...I don't think the first section would be a helpful addition to the TOS either.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,612,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, who was that?

The thread where this all took place is closed, so I can't quote marka's charge, but here is the link:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/14780398-post86.html
You don't know who that was? That stumps me! She made her feelings quite clear on the matter. I only used that as an illustration and this is not personal against you as a person from me in any way...I'm talking issues.

I made my comments under no.1 on this thread...which I stand by. Others broke things down and interjected their own thoughts which parallel my own.

I guess to sum up, your examples don't sway me to change my mind, but more further convince me that things are fine the way they've been.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:25 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,167,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
You don't know who that was? That stumps me! She made her feelings quite clear on the matter. I only used that as an illustration and this is not personal against you as a person from me in any way...I'm talking issues.

I made my comments under no.1 on this thread...which I stand by. Others broke things down and interjected their own thoughts which parallel my own.

I guess to sum up, your examples don't sway me to change my mind, but more further convince me that things are fine the way they've been.
Well, maybe you could just tell me who this was so I don't have to go back and read through two other threads. Otherwise, I shall remain in the dark. Whatever, I did not just up and decide to write something. But I've said that before, too. If you do not want to make this personal, then quit making it personal, if you know what I mean.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:31 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,068,348 times
Quote:
"She" is back, and does not appreciate an attempt to say "she" was telling people how to quote a post. "She" in fact, clarified what "she" meant several times over.
Now we're getting somewhere. So, when I used the word "she" to discuss your posts with another poster, you think that might be a personal attack, if not attack, then maybe personal?

Again, what does this mean?

Quote:
You can directley address a person by quoting them like this:

Quote:

Definitely go downtown and take some pix. Very cute, "historic" (read: old), lots of neat restaurants.
Or like this:

Quote:
Definitely go downtown and take some pix. Very cute, "historic" (read: old), lots of neat restaurants.

Or like this:

"Definitely go downtown and take some pix. Very cute, "historic" (read: old), lots of neat restaurants."

You can indicate the post above yours like this: ^^^

It has nothing to do with a personal attack and they all look the same to me. I'm confused.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:34 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,612,959 times
Quote:
Well, maybe you could just tell me who this was so I don't have to go back and read through two other threads. Otherwise, I shall remain in the dark. Whatever, I did not just up and decide to write something. But I've said that before, too. If you do not want to make this personal, then quit making it personal, if you know what I mean.
My intent wasn't ever to make it personal, but I can see you are feeling overwhelmed at this point and taking it that way.

I'm not going to name the person. It's in the records. You should go back and read it imo, because it will probably give you some comfort!

Last edited by gold*dust1; 06-28-2010 at 10:45 PM..

Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
But I've said that before, too. If you do not want to make this personal, then quit making it personal, if you know what I mean.
See, this here is that gray area. You think we are making it personal, when in fact we are just responding to your posts, especially the first one, and trying to figure out what you mean. We are talking about your argument, your list of "rules" to define a personal attack, with not enough input from you, the OP.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
How is it anyone's "right" to make light of suicidal posts and going so far as to encourage someone to do it? Are you aware that websites have been sued for allowing members to do that? I've spent more time than I care to think about evaluating the sincerity of suicidal posters so I could determine if the website I worked for needed to track down the poster's local police department to do an intervention. Maybe 'free speech' makes it okay in your mind to allow posters to "make light" of situations like that, but this is one area where I much prefer that ethnics and social responsibility put TOS in place to cover that kind of reckless free speech. And, yes, we did routinely close down suicide threads when mean-spirited posters came on who were hurting rather than helping. When a thread is a life or death situation, asking for it to be closed as the OP did is not unreasonable at all!
I wasn't aware of that. Thought it was a thread about suicide in general, not a poster threatening suicide.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:00 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,347,698 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware of that. Thought it was a thread about suicide in general, not a poster threatening suicide.
My posts and the OP's on this topic were clear in this thread---I even used the phrase that posters were metaphorically yelling 'jump' to a suicidal person--- but thanks for eluding to the fact that there is a time and place when asking for a thread to be closed, like the OP did, was not an unreasonable thing to do. It had nothing to do with jumping on someone's freedom of speech. Thank you.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 06-28-2010 at 11:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum