Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the blue text in post #1 a good definition of a personal attack?
Yes 5 15.15%
No 28 84.85%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 02:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,454,726 times

Advertisements

Personally I think there are some people that just do not like each other and this has really become about them wanting to get the others in trouble. The majority of posters have no trouble staying within the TOS. If a poster finds that another really gets under their skin then avoid their posts but to expand the TOS past what we have to the point of making a list of no-no words is to me insane. Sorry just sayin.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,069,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
Now some of you are going to brag about not reporting posts, huh? Good for you! How very brave! Well, just remember that if you don't report, don't expect anything will be done there. Some forums are too busy to have moderators read every new post. And then you (collective) will come to me and say how moderators are uneven...
Actually, I thought the poster who took a screen shot of his infractions MUST have gotten permission from a mod to post them...because we all KNOW, we are not supposed to do that.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:

Another assumption. The OP never spoke about them either. Why don't you let others decide it since this is the topic of this thread and you yourself asked for these examples?
I did ask for them and they "seem" to fit what the OP was trying to convey in her second paragraph of rules, although since she never did clarify by way of concrete examples, it was hard to tell.

Quote:
This is really off topic for this thread and difficult to reply to but I'll try this one time. How many reports we get? It depends on the forum traffic and posters' personalities. Do we like reports? Yes, they help us a lot. However, one of the first things a new moderator learns is not to feel obliged to act on a report. If there is a reason, we will act. Otherwise we will just ignore the report. I really can't tell you any numbers because it varies. Still, we value the reports because they often alert us to threads that we may have skipped without them.
Would you say that the PoC is the forum with the highest # of reported posts?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Is it really a surprise that you would employ a fallacy to try and make a point? As usual with you, there is no middle ground, only one way or the other. It's a dishonest argument, as the world does not function in such a way.
Definitely off topic! Possibly a personal attack too. I thought the idea, which is repeated frequently by numerous moderators, as well as, by posters was to attack the post, not the poster.
I would deem that as too personal, but not necessarily an attack, although it should be deleted because it lends nothing to the discussion and is the start of hijacking the thread by making it personal to a specific poster.

I would love to hear the reasoning from those who reported the posts as violations of the TOS listed by Markablue.

Last edited by sanrene; 06-29-2010 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,173,989 times
Hello, everyone. I hope everbody had a good day. I was working hard; this is my first opportunity to use the computer for "fun" today.

I think we got a good discussion going, if nothing else. It was a bit disheartening to see the thread break down into such bickering as it did.

For those of you who object to a list of words that are considered personal attacks, and for all of you who think it's obvious what a personal attack is, most of those words came from posts I have seen, and underlined in the definition is included but not limited to. If the admin adopted this definition (which I would think highly unlikely at this point in time), the mods would still have plenty of discretion. They'd also have the discretion to not delete such posts, if the context did not deem such a post a personal attack.

As for the second paragraph, at one point last night, I did think about writing a clarification and thought I would work on it. However, when I came back to the thread, it had gotten so contentious, that I felt it would just add fuel to the fire.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
As for the second paragraph, at one point last night, I did think about writing a clarification and thought I would work on it. However, when I came back to the thread, it had gotten so contentious, that I felt it would just add fuel to the fire.
Where is the contentiousness?

The vacuum, if you will, was a result of the very vague examples in the second paragraph without any real clarification on your thoughts or examples to speak of.

I think it was good that Markablue listed those posts that others had reported as violations - what would be extremely instructive would be to get the rational of those that reported them. What about the posts crosses the line for them?

Isn't that really what this thread is about - defining a personal attack?

I personally would like to know if I'm unintentionally violating the TOS and having a mod or someone else point it out (outside of an infraction) would be great.

It might also be helpful I would think if those that reported them understood why they are not in violation of the TOS.

Last edited by sanrene; 06-29-2010 at 08:22 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 08:42 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,838,072 times
Why anyone would want to be a volunteer mod on a website is beyond me! Personally, if I were to do the job, I'd want to be paid...and handsomely at that!

Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,613,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Where is the contentiousness?

The vacuum, if you will, was a result of the very vague examples in the second paragraph without any real clarification on your thoughts or examples to speak of.

I think it was good that Markablue listed those posts that others had reported as violations - what would be extremely instructive would be to get the rational of those that reported them. What about the posts crosses the line for them?

Isn't that really what this thread is about - defining a personal attack?

I personally would like to know if I'm unintentionally violating the TOS and having a mod or someone else point it out (outside of an infraction) would be great.

It might also be helpful I would think if those that reported them understood why they are not in violation of the TOS.
I thought it was about whether the masses wanted an addendum of sorts added to the TOS. It was a yes or no poll. The way I understood it, is, if we remained polite since Marka gave a warning of receiving P/A's we may all get a free pass on them. It seems Katiana has gracefully bowed out and stated she herself doesn't see an addendum happening at this time, according to the poll etc. I may be wrong on all of the above so don't quote me

Old 06-29-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I thought it was about whether the masses wanted an addendum of sorts added to the TOS. It was a yes or no poll. The way I understood it, is, if we remained polite since Marka gave a warning of receiving P/A's we may all get a free pass on them. It seems Katiana has gracefully bowed out and stated she herself doesn't see an addendum happening at this time, according to the poll etc. I may be wrong on all of the above so don't quote me
Yes....but one needs some concrete examples in order to understand what kind of changes the op had in mind.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:29 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,613,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yes....but one needs some concrete examples in order to understand what kind of changes the op had in mind.
I think we'd be beating a dead horse I don't think we should push someone if they don't feel up to that or feel that it's no longer worth their time, of which I can understand Maybe some posts will further be edited if need be. Just my own opinion for what it's worth.

Last edited by gold*dust1; 06-29-2010 at 09:40 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold*dust1 View Post
I think we'd be beating a dead horse I don't think we should push someone if they don't feel up to that or feel that it's no longer worth their time, of which I can understand Maybe some posts will further be edited if need be. Just my own opinion for what it's worth.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum