Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 05:31 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
There are writings from Herodotus, Starbo, Pliny etc. who clearly divided people up by physiology. For example, in book IV of the Histories by Herodotus, he clearly says that there were two groups of "Aethiopians" (burnt faced people) and then he goes on to say the names of the two groups i.e. the Asian Aethiopians and the ones in Libya (which is what the Greeks called Africa when they didn't seem to know the name of the Kingdom they were dealing with). He then says the only difference being, that the ones in Libya had "wholly hair" and the ones in Asia had (straight or curly hair). he also said there were a group of "Aethiopians" living in the Caucasus mountains area and he calls them the Colchians. He says they look like Egyptians because of their dress, manners/customs and their "wholly hair".

We see similar divisions of people based on physiology by Strabo and Pliny. See, people like yourself buy into this silly notion that the ancients didn't know race. Such a idea serves the purpose of the Eurocentrist. See, what they tried to do is, deny Africa its true place in history. Anything that was advanced they tried to "white wash" it. When that stopped working, then they said "oh well, what does it matter, the ancients didn't know race" and that's a lie. They clearly differentiated people based on physiology.

Stop googling stuff and just go get the books, they aren't expensive. Go see for yourself.

Now, I think where you are getting into trouble is, you are confusing two issues. Did people group themselves in terms of continental groupings i.e. "Africans", "Europeans" and "Asians", well no. They didn't do that. People related themselves to their kingdoms. But to say that the ancient wouldn't have looked at the world in terms of "we are black, and they are white" is wrong. We can read their writings and its very clear that they did.
My post stated that Africans were (and still are) cultured peoples that grouped themselves accordingly. Nowhere did my post state that grouped themselves as Africans. "African" is not a culture. LOL@ the idea that cultural as opposed to racial identity is Eurocentrist thought when you direct me to Europeans as your sources for racial ideology. Please stop trying to racialize Africans the way Europeans (and their descendants) did and still do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
My post stated that Africans were (and still are) cultured peoples that grouped themselves accordingly. Nowhere did my post state that grouped themselves as Africans. "African" is not a culture. LOL@ the idea that cultural as opposed to racial identity is Eurocentrist thought when you direct me to Europeans as your sources for racial ideology. Please stop trying to racialize Africans the way Europeans (and their descendants) did and still do.
Nice song and dance, but at the end of the day, you don't seem to know history very well.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,168,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Nice song and dance, but at the end of the day, you don't seem to know history very well.
Meaning that I don't sing your song or dance your dance...or agree with the concoction you call history. That's just fine with me.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:08 AM

83 posts, read 517,774 times
Berbers are mixed but they look nowhere near like black people and would not be seen as such anywhere in the world, not even in your blackest African country. Berbers in the USA would be mistaken for Latinos, not those Latinos mixed with black but Latinos such as Mexicans and Central Americans, in other words like mestizos. Berbers do have different looks and come from your most blondest to your most darkest, here are some Berbers

The average Berber doesn't look black like African Americans, not even mulatto looking like Dominicans, they are more Caucasoid than Negroid by far.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:08 PM

237 posts, read 440,501 times
The history of the Berbers is one that intersects that of Europe's, Asia's, and Africa's. The original Berbers were and are very much negroid in appearance, however one must understand the long and very complex and still denied truth of North Africa in the time between the earliest Egyptian Kingdoms and the modern age ( A.D 1900+). Europeans are actually not indigenous to Europe but northwest of Poland and Lithuania and more so west into the vast areas of Russia. They kept the gene pool closed by being so far from early classical civilizations which is why they developed such fair skin. Africans had however been living in Southern Europe since the Calcolithic Age,

Los Millares, Iberia

There were a lot of African looking people in the Roman Empire, particularly in both Spain and its North African territories (Numidia, Carthage). I am not going to go into the other parts of Roman even though they too were a very interracial society but let us just focus on Spain because they hold the key to why Berbers exist with more Caucasian features.

Around the end of the Roman Empire things began to change drastically in Europe and this was caused by one of the most overlooked Hordes in human history, Yes everyone knows of Ghengis Khan and the Mongols but 1000 years before them there was a group called the Hun led by a man named Atilla who kicked of what is now called the Great Migration or Barbarian Invasion by attacking and invading the lands of the of the Slavic and Germanic tribes of North and Eastern Europe, causing friction and wars and forcing many of them west and smack into the Roman Empire. Among these groups were the Goths, Vandals, Avars, Bulgars, Alans, Suebi, Frisians, Franks and Saxons to name a few. They would go on to found the modern kingdoms of Europe.

Great Migration

Hunnic Empire

One group in particular brings us back to the Berbers, and that group is the Vandals. The name of the Vandals has often been connected to that of Vendel, the name of a province in Uppland, Sweden. They migrated through Europe and into Spain and over into North Africa to Tunisia (Carthage) and back into Italy, conquering and assimilating as they did so and possibly tried to preserve Roman culture.

They blended in with the native population whom had already began serious racial integration after the fall of Carthage to Rome to the point that we see what features like those in the Barzie's post. Very intriguing actually that North Africa used to be the grand melting pot of the planet (probably because it was lush with more farmland back then but if I am correct it was first the breadbasket of Carthage and later Egypt that feed the Roman Empire).

Here are what the Berbers (whom were later called Moors or Moorish) looked like circa 700 A.D though...

The Moors conquered and assimilated with Vandals whom had already been conquered by Justinian and the Eastern Roman Empire soon after holding North Africa for 100 years. When the Moors seized power in North Africa and began campaigns in Spain during rise of Islam, they enslaved those in the population whom did not convert to Islam and at the same time the Caliphates were importing soldiers to fight on fronts against Christian forces in Europe and later women from the Turkish reaches of the empire as slaves for the Caliph's Harem (a practice that the Berbers (Moors) continued.

The Moors however intermixed with this lighter skinned population inherited from conquest and from importation to the point that today there are modern Berbers with a varied mix of genotypes from so many areas..

I have other images but some have a bit of nudity so be aware.

http://thegalleryoftrips.blogspot.co...ere-moors.html

Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzie View Post
Berbers are mixed but they look nowhere near like black people and would not be seen as such anywhere in the world, not even in your blackest African country. Berbers in the USA would be mistaken for Latinos, not those Latinos mixed with black but Latinos such as Mexicans and Central Americans, in other words like mestizos. Berbers do have different looks and come from your most blondest to your most darkest, here are some Berbers

The average Berber doesn't look black like African Americans, not even mulatto looking like Dominicans, they are more Caucasoid than Negroid by far.
Taking five pictures off the internet and making such baseless claims are beyond silly.

Listen what a GENETICS has to say about the DNA of Berbers:

Dr. Shomarka Keita - YouTube

The problem is, a lot of you have NEVER been to Africa and you make ridiculous claims based on what limited things you have seen on TV.

As to what Berbers/Amazigh look like, well you have a problem there too.

Here are some Berbers/Amazigh:

http://www.libe.ma/photo/art/grande/...g?v=1293789041

^^ these are Saharan Amazighs/berbers

http://www.farhorizons.com/trips/Egy...drenatSiwa.jpg

^^ These are Amazighs/berbers in Siwa Egypt

http://www.dailytonic.com/wp-content...Logerot_15.jpg

^^These are women from Akka Oasis in Southern Morocco

http://ly.simple.co.ke/sites/all/fil...7lwjo1_500.jpg

^^ Berber women from Hon, Al Jufrah, Libya

I can go on and on and on. North Africa is still about 50% black, then you have Mulattos and then whites. You don't know enough about history, nor the current situation in North Africa, to have this conversation and you googling won't change that fact.

Here are the facts. Herodotus calls North Africa "over run with Aethiopians" in his time period, which was around 500 B.C., Strabo around 18 A.D. does the same in his time period and so does Pliny the Elder which was around 50/60 A.D.

Then around 700 A.D. you start getting these white and mixed North Africans. We know for a fact that Africans started bringing in MILLIONS of European slaves around 700 A.D.. There is a book called "Christian Slaves Muslim Masters" and another one called "White Slaves African Masters" that deal with this subject.

Anyway here are some videos:

Southern Moroccans

Original moroccans (Berbers) blonde nordic people - YouTube

Another moroccan

Cadillac ATS vs The World Morocco Berber Weaving - YouTube

Algerian Amazighs/Berbers in the City of Tamanrasset

A Tamanrasset, la cherté de la vie est telle que les citoyens ne mangent pas à leur faim - YouTube

Panoramio - Photo of Tamanrasset

Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Meaning that I don't sing your song or dance your dance...or agree with the concoction you call history. That's just fine with me.
I don't have a "tune". What i have is historical facts, which I have provided, while you have provided your uneducated opinion.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM

438 posts, read 660,337 times
Boy is this thread confusing.

In my travels the Berber people I met were fair skinned and had rosy cheeks.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing traveler View Post
Boy is this thread confusing.

In my travels the Berber people I met were fair skinned and had rosy cheeks.
I wasn't aware that you've meet every Berber person on the planet.
Just because the Berbers you have meet were light skin, doesn't mean that there aren't any dark skin Berbers.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:47 PM

438 posts, read 660,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wasn't aware that you've meet every Berber person on the planet.
Just because the Berbers you have meet were light skin, doesn't mean that there aren't any dark skin Berbers.
I didn't mean to imply I met all Berber people. In fact I meant quite the opposite.

Rolling your eyes is very childish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa