Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM

16 posts, read 139,762 times

Advertisements

Who really cares what you look like? Is it really that bad if a person isn't blonde and blue eyed?? The latter is probably like almost 2% of the earth, the rest of the people on earth being darker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 09:38 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
I didn't realize mixed and biracial don't mean the same thing.

Also,as I said,just because someone is dark skinned doesn't mean they aren't biracial.
Douglas are biracial with Indian and black,and many come out dark skinned.

Contrary to what is believed,there are light skinned tribes in West Africa.
I knew plenty of lighter skinned women from the Igbo tribe.
They weren't mixed either. So your notion that most light skiined blacks are mixed with European or Asian is wrong.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
» Kinda Wish The First Ever Black Miss Israel Was Hotter Barstool Sports: Philly

then the author points to lighterskin black women with euro features as being hotter. and people wonder why i am depressed and slit my wrists all the time
She looks 10x better than ms Maryland. Ms maryland is butt ugly to me.
But hey...

Old 03-29-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
rihanna was bullied in elementary school but as she got older the bullying went away. in the long run her light skin tone is a privilege. she also was very popular with the boys, won a beauty contest and is now one of the biggest pop stars in the world. there are many black women who would kill for her skin tone including me, i'd give up my right leg to be as light as she is

as a darkskin person the bullying never ends, and you never get a chance to benefit from white privilege.
Well,you know what I find helps? Long hair. Lots of bald headed light skinned women walking around
Boys go really crazy over dark skinned women with long,natural hair and pear shapes.
Come to think of it,a big butt outweighs any light skin any day among men.

Someone mentioned the Ethiopians without mentioning they are for the most part dark skinned.
Dark skinned with Euro features.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:06 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
If you check the document I linked in post #95, you will notice that the African American community that has been tested, are only around 77% African. The rest of the DNA is made up of European/Native American blood, for the most part.

This means that while the average African American is overwhelmingly African, they are not just African.

For example, if you look at the African populations that have been tested (and are there in the document I cited), quite many of them are 100% African and a few are less than 100%, but overall much more African than the typical African American.
Most African Americans are fully aware that we do not need to play the genetic percentage game. We carry the most dominant genetic traits, which are the African ones. European and Native American blood are recessive. Genetically weak. For those African Americans that attempt to play the percentage game, they usually end up looking quite silly when its all said and done.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,you know what I find helps? Long hair. Lots of bald headed light skinned women walking around
Boys go really crazy over dark skinned women with long,natural hair and pear shapes.
Come to think of it,a big butt outweighs any light skin any day among men.

Someone mentioned the Ethiopians without mentioning they are for the most part dark skinned.
Dark skinned with Euro features.
Ethiopians do not have European features. I have a few Ethiopians friends who get highly offended by this misconception. They are African, with African features, not European. African people have many different characteristics and phenotypes, depending on the region. We live in the information age. It just doesn't make sense to be so misinformed.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Ethiopians do not have European features. I have a few Ethiopians friends who get highly offended by this misconception. They are African, with African features, not European. African people have many different characteristics and phenotypes, depending on the region. We live in the information age. It just doesn't make sense to be so misinformed.
You are right,my bad. What I'm trying to tell the poster is that there are tribes in West Africa with light to medium brown skin,that aren't mixed but pure African.
Just because is light skinned doesn't mean they are mixed,and likewise just because is dark skinned doesn't mean they are mixed.
Hexk,you can be dark skinned but not have African dna.

I actually did look up Ethiopians and Somolians,and many did say they are African.
Let's just say they don't have west African facial features? Neither do the Fulani in West Africa.
Come to think of it,some of the lighter skinned Fulani were on slave ships too,so there goes the theory that only dark skinned Africans were enslaved.

I have read about people from the horn of Africa,btw.
Most of them maintain they are mixed.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 PM

10,091 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Quote:
Most African Americans are fully aware that we do not need to play the genetic percentage game. We carry the most dominant genetic traits, which are the African ones. European and Native American blood are recessive. Genetically weak. For those African Americans that attempt to play the percentage game, they usually end up looking quite silly when its all said and done.
Oh, so that's why more and more people are identifying as mixed.

Considering that year after year more mixed people are identifying as mixed rather than the old outdated categories, I don't think they are actually appearing to be as silly as you think. If they were, then the number of people identifying as mixed wouldn't be rising, since someone has to take them seriously in order for them to feel comfortable with this change.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Oh, so that's why more and more people are identifying as mixed.

Considering that year after year more mixed people are identifying as mixed rather than the old outdated categories, I don't think they are actually appearing to be as silly as you think. If they were, then the number of people identifying as mixed wouldn't be rising, since someone has to take them seriously in order for them to feel comfortable with this change.

These people clearly have one non-Black parent. They are biracial, mixed, and they should acknowledge both parents equally. I would not call anyone in those videos Black. Someone resembling Denzel Washington, Blair Underwood, Serena Williams is Black. They all have two Black parents. If people who resembled them went around talking about how mixed they were, because of some distant European or Native ancestor they think exists in their family background, that would be silly. Just like it is silly for Mariah Carey to go around calling herself Black. If a person has two Black parents, he or she is Black. If a person has one Black and one non-Black parent, that person is biracial or mixed, period. I agree that biracial or mixed people should have their own category to define themselves.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
These people clearly have one non-Black parent. They are biracial, mixed, and they should acknowledge both parents equally. I would not call anyone in those videos Black. Someone resembling Denzel Washington, Blair Underwood, Serena Williams is Black. They all have two Black parents. If people who resembled them went around talking about how mixed they were, because of some distant European or Native ancestor they think exists in their family background, that would be silly. Just like it is silly for Mariah Carey to go around calling herself Black. If a person has two Black parents, he or she is Black. If a person has one Black and one non-Black parent, that person is biracial or mixed, period. I agree that biracial or mixed people should have their own category to define themselves.
I'm sorry,I still don't understand.

Beyonce has 2 black parents. Why isn't it silly for her to call herself mixed?

Chili and Tatiana Ali both are dark skinned,but are mixed. Is it silly for them to call themselves mixed?
Sometimes being mixed isn't so obvious.

Are we just basing it on appearance now?
If that's the case,the president doesn't look biracial at all. I see men his complection and hair type everyday,but they have 2 black parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa